Panhandle Cattle Sale advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panhandle Cattle Sale advise

Can anybody give me an idea of what cattle / crosses do the best in the TX Panhandle area sale barn? Looking at starting a herd and need some insight. My family has always ran Angus / Hereford / Charolais crosses. I know they do good here but I have others telling me Beefmaster crossed with Angus for better preforming calves. Other are telling me you get docked for ear and hide in this area with the bos indicas influence. Just looking for a little advise.

Any form of black. We bought brangus and keeping many second gen and angus bulls. We have found a little ear ok.
    Last edited by BrianL; 03-02-2018, 02:32 PM.

Comment

hard to beat BWF or/and using a Charolais or SIMAngus for terminal. Just stick with whats been working for your family.

Comment

Go sit through a sale and see first hand.

Comment

cab is a racket but you gotta take part. black hides is the way buckaroo.

Comment

Incorporate some black as mentioned.

Comment

Anything that will walk a little more for feed and water
              WFB or WFR

Comment

Not my area. But I would imagine you don't see much Brahman influenced cattle up there due to the colder winters.

Angus, Hereford, Charolais type would be safe. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

The Brahman crosses can handle the cold, maybe not as well as the blacks but like stated a little ear will bring a premium in heifer replacements.

They can dang sure handle the heat and drought better then the teddy bears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for all the good advise. I think I will stick to what has been working. BWF by Chalois bull to produce black hide calves.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
                      The Brahman crosses can handle the cold, maybe not as well as the blacks but like stated a little ear will bring a premium in heifer replacements.

They can dang sure handle the heat and drought better then the teddy bears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      That is what I had in mind. AI the Angus cows to Beefmaster and keep the F1 Heifers. Then take those heifers and breed to Charlios or Simm bulls.

Comment

Working...
                      X