Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question time

Okay here is the question.

In a Team Sport, how do you determine who is the best at a certain position?

Do you base it on the individual stats of said person, or do you base it off the Teams accomplishments?

To me its a case by case scenario but overall I think it boils down to individual skills at that particular position. There is no doubt times where one position can carry a team (a pitcher that throws a no hitter) but to evaluate who is the best at the position means how they perform at that position.

Comment

That's an awfully broad question. Depends on the sport, position, age, goals of the team, etc.

For example, I wouldn't base the best QBs in the NFL all time off of team accomplishments. But I would base who starts at OL on a varsity football team based upon what 5 players make up the best O line, regardless of an individual's prowess at a certain position. You may have a stud who is the best center but you may play him at left tackle so your QB doesn't get killed.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
        That's an awfully broad question. Depends on the sport, position, age, goals of the team, etc.
        Okay I will make it less broad. What would you consider to decide who the best QB would be?

Comment

In order to answer your question, I think the green screen needs more information. Please give age of child, sport the child is playing in, and are you paying for this kid to play on this team?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

In

Comment

Okay here is the whole story (I was trying to be vague, in order to get an unbiased opinion).

A few people at work today are walking around talking about how Tom Brady is the greatest QB ever. I simply made the statement that there are several QB's who have better individual stats than him across the board.

The number 1 answer I get is: "But who else has 5 rings?"
              My reply: "Ummm how about the rest of his Team?"

Just because you have a good quarterback on a great team does not particularly mean he is the best. That is my argument and my question.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace141 View Post
                Okay here is the whole story (I was trying to be vague, in order to get an unbiased opinion).

A few people at work today are walking around talking about how Tom Brady is the greatest QB ever. I simply made the statement that there are several QB's who have better individual stats than him across the board.

The number 1 answer I get is: "But who else has 5 rings?"
                My reply: "Ummm how about the rest of his Team?"

Just because you have a good quarterback on a great team does not particularly mean he is the best. That is my argument and my question.
                M

Comment

A great receiver or two can make a lot of QB's look good. Solid blocking is critical too. But a good QB is a game changer under any situation. He should possess the intangibles that lead the team to victory no matter the circumstances. There are so many variables though.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                    M
                    According to NFL.com:
                    Passing Yards:
                    1. Peyton Manning - 71,940
                    4. Tom Brady - 66,159
                    Passes Completed:
                    1. Bret Favre - 6300
                    4. Tom Brady - 5629
                    Pass Completion %
                    1. Drew Brees - 66.9%
                    13. Tom Brady - 63.9%

That's just to name a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace141 View Post
                      According to NFL.com:
                      Passing Yards:
                      1. Peyton Manning - 71,940
                      4. Tom Brady - 66,159
                      Passes Completed:
                      1. Bret Favre - 6300
                      4. Tom Brady - 5629
                      Pass Completion %
                      1. Drew Brees - 66.9%
                      13. Tom Brady - 63.9%

That's just to name a few.
                      Lol my Brady loving buddy is with me and he commented, I deleted it. Carry on

Comment

When the lights are on, and the game is on the line, more often than not Tom Brady gets it done. That is why he's the goat.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                          Lol my Brady loving buddy is with me and he commented, I deleted it. Carry on
                          Hahaha I'm not mad. I just really want to know a consensus on what is a logical way to decide this. I figured if you were to go by position, then you would want the best individual stats. Best Team performance, yeah I could totally give it to him, but to say the G.O.A.T just seems a bit of a stretch if you cant lead in 90% of individual stats.

Comment

Football is the ultimate team sport. It seems like one player doesnt decide as much of the teams fate as other sports. Having a good qb will help a lot of the time, but counting rings is a bad way to determine who the best is.

It's also really difficult to compare the numbers across different time periods of the sport. Rules change and they drastically favor the offense.

Comment

Since you narrowed it down, maybe this thread will help

Comment

Working...
                              X