Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stack cinder block in a pyramid

Comment

I go around after Christmas and pick up Christmas trees on the curb - tie a rock to them and sink - work great

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
        I go around after Christmas and pick up Christmas trees on the curb - tie a rock to them and sink - work great
        I do the same thing and have friends who call me to come get there trees

Comment

Get access to some grubbed cedar. They 10-12' tall type. Cut the top limbs off about 4' from the base. Leave the roots and the limbs 3-4' up. Excellent cover and you don't add all that trash to your pond. Will last a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
            Get access to some grubbed cedar. They 10-12' tall type. Cut the top limbs off about 4' from the base. Leave the roots and the limbs 3-4' up. Excellent cover and you don't add all that trash to your pond. Will last a long time.
            That's a good idea ... I need to rent or borrow a skid steer for a week this summer in the draw down to really do what I want

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
              That's a good idea ... I need to rent or borrow a skid steer for a week this summer in the draw down to really do what I want
              I managed about 400 acres of private water for several years. This was some of the best I found other than just typical rock piles. Ill see if I can find a pic of some we cut. Try to avoid the manmade stuff. It ends up looking trashy (if you care much about looks).

Comment

If you use pvc ruff the pipe up with a grinder or something it helps for algie to grow on and makes it comparable to wood

Comment

I managed about 400 acres of private water for several years. This was some of the best I found other than just typical rock piles. Ill see if I can find a pic of some we cut. Try to avoid the manmade stuff. It ends up looking trashy (if you care much about looks).
                  I used some intially and when the lake got low this summer it looked like crap when exposed. Decided then it's all natural from here on at

Comment

I’m looking for some cut pics I have somewhere. But just for reference cut the cedars about where these red lines are and leave root balls attached. Sit on pond floor with roots on bottom. Tie couple large rocks to each one to hold down until the get water logged. Groups of 2-4 of these make a good stand of cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m looking for some cut pics I have somewhere. But just for reference cut the cedars about where these red lines are and leave root balls attached. Sit on pond floor with roots on bottom. Tie couple large rocks to each one to hold down until the get water logged. Groups of 2-4 of these make a good stand of cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I know exactly what you're saying. And will be doing something similar this summer

Comment

I see your point but for the overall health of fishery cover is essential for baitfish survival. Without ample baitfish you won't have a healthy fishery. And for me I love fishing different types of cover. For me it raises the excitement level.
                        Normally in a well managed lake/pond you would really use fertilizer and water clarity as your best bait "cover". With a good fertilization program you really wouldn't need any cover in a lake at all. Most of the time we all like having cover/structure for fishing reasons (entertainment). Ambush spots make for good pinpointed fishing. It does help in the winter months when the water clarity will clear up before your spring blooms.

Comment

Normally in a well managed lake/pond you would really use fertilizer and water clarity as your best bait "cover". With a good fertilization program you really wouldn't need any cover in a lake at all. Most of the time we all like having cover/structure for fishing reasons (entertainment). Ambush spots make for good pinpointed fishing. It does help in the winter months when the water clarity will clear up before your spring blooms.
                          I agree with that. Fertilizer increases bloom. To clear not good per'se and and muddy no good either. But a lot of this can be done through using benefial aquatic vegetation. Cover is more for protecting the fry from predatures was my point

Comment

I agree with that. Fertilizer increases bloom. To clear not good per'se and and muddy no good either. But a lot of this can be done through using benefial aquatic vegetation. Cover is more for protecting the fry from predatures was my point

Comment

I will fertilize probably in next 2 weeks

Comment

I will fertilize probably in next 2 weeks
                                Yep depends on your water temp but Easter time frame normally pretty good. Try to get 8-10" visibility.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Ponds are a lot of fun...enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                                X