No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CO and NM done. That New Mexico is painful but I'm told it's refunded if not drawn. If I draw both I'm gonna have to somehow hide a hunt from the wife I can hear it now - so why did you take your bow and hiking boots on that business trip again?

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
      NM application is in.

Elk
      Sheep
      Ibex
      Mule Deer
      Antelope

At least they only keep my money for a month.
      Lots of hunting if you can win the lottery draw on all of those. No OIL Oryx?

Comment

Got NM in...waiting....waiting....

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
          Lots of hunting if you can win the lottery draw on all of those. No OIL Oryx?

Nah, for the price of the tag I can hunt them elsewhere. Just not that mad at Oryx.

Comment

Man applying for Nevada makes me wanna puke.. SO much money wasted Ill never see back..

$294.00 to apply for
            Deer point
            Elk Point
            Antelope Point
            Desert Sheep
            Cali Sheep
            Silver state Bighorn
            Silver state Elk
            Silver state deer

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
              Man applying for Nevada makes me wanna puke.. SO much money wasted Ill never see back..

$294.00 to apply for
              Deer point
              Elk Point
              Antelope Point
              Desert Sheep
              Cali Sheep
              Silver state Bighorn
              Silver state Elk
              Silver state deer

JT, what would cost if it was just points for all those animal/hunts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Poco View Post
                JT, what would cost if it was just points for all those animal/hunts?

You have to buy a license for $155 to even buy points.

Then Points are between $10-25 per species

Comment

This^^

Nevada is a tough pill to swallow,but when you do draw out it is a quality over quantity state for most part. Big bulls, bucks and rams.
                  Last edited by Texans42; 03-23-2018, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Fingers crossed I’ll be in the Gila chasing Elk come October!

Comment

Nevada isn’t so bad if you plan correctly and put in every year. As long as you have a valid license at application then you are fine. So just pay attention to when you apply and you can use one license for two application years.

For instance, this is a year that I have to buy a license so I will wait until a day or two before the deadline to apply. Then next year I can use the same license as long as I apply before it expires.

That certainly helps drop the price of NV. In fact, NV is a no brainer, must apply state for me. There are issues with every state and their draw system but I actually like NV.

You want to talk about wasting money.......try WY sheep and moose, or MT deer and elk, or anything in Oregon or California. Hell, the biggest one that I put in for that screws you in multiple ways is Idaho. You have to buy an expensive license, pay an access fee AND front the tag fees just to apply. I’ll be fronting $6,514.25 to Idaho and the cost to apply (what I won’t get back if I don’t draw) is $209. And that’s just applying for sheep, goats and moose (no elk, deer or antelope).

At least when I fronted $6,285 to NM I knew that I’d get all but $65 back if I don’t draw anything.

There are several “cost to apply” states that are about the same as Nevada. On my applications this year AZ, NV, ID and WY are all over $200 in cost to apply. And WY is just for deer, elk, antelope and goat.

Comment

Nevada isn’t so bad if you plan correctly and put in every year. As long as you have a valid license at application then you are fine. So just pay attention to when you apply and you can use one license for two application years.

For instance, this is a year that I have to buy a license so I will wait until a day or two before the deadline to apply. Then next year I can use the same license as long as I apply before it expires.

That certainly helps drop the price of NV. In fact, NV is a no brainer, must apply state for me. There are issues with every state and their draw system but I actually like NV.

You want to talk about wasting money.......try WY sheep and moose, or MT deer and elk, or anything in Oregon or California. Hell, the biggest one that I put in for that screws you in multiple ways is Idaho. You have to buy an expensive license, pay an access fee AND front the tag fees just to apply. I’ll be fronting $6,514.25 to Idaho and the cost to apply (what I won’t get back if I don’t draw) is $209. And that’s just applying for sheep, goats and moose (no elk, deer or antelope).

At least when I fronted $6,285 to NM I knew that I’d get all but $65 back if I don’t draw anything.

There are several “cost to apply” states that are about the same as Nevada. On my applications this year AZ, NV, ID and WY are all over $200 in cost to apply. And WY is just for deer, elk, antelope and goat.

You won’t be fronting that much to Idaho. In Idaho you have to pick one of the big three. You can apply for deer and elk. Or one of the big 3 goat sheep or moose.

I knew you could double up years on a Utah license but didn’t know you could in Nevada. I’ll look into that.

Comment

I thought you could only pick one on the Idaho once in a life time draw?

Comment

Thanks bud

Comment

Received my WY tag in the mail yesterday. Still working on the preparation!

Comment

Great info, thank you

Comment

Working...
                                X