Things that should be brought back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
    Yep! Grew up in Keller. My folks still live there. If I'm at their house and need to hit the hardware store, that's where I go. Not sure how long it's been there, but I'm 41 and can remember going there as a kid. My dad still shops there regularly. I sure wish the old butcher was across the street. It's been turned into a compressor shop and last time I paid any attention, the old Keller Feed Store was still a lawnmower shop. Both of those changed some years ago. I remember when there was only one grocery store in Keller and that was the Food Fare which was about a block south of there. The "Keller Bum" spit on my little brother one time while mom was pushing the grocery cart with my brother riding in the bottom of the cart. Ha! Good times. I remember when Keller was less than 2,500 people, a bunch of cows and horses and Keller Pkwy was still called FM1709, was two lanes and the speed limit was 55. Our address back then was Route 1, Box 44A. Man, that place just ain't the same....
    Good times. I go back to around 1k people, one 2A high school, The "Keller Bum" was Artie Pond. Never knew what his story was, except that was always walking one way or another on 377. Always had some cur dog baling wired to his cart.

What side of town were you on? We were on the south end, just inside the city limits. Different day and time.

Another thing that should come back: Pulling over to the side of the road, and stopping, for a funeral procession. I think it still happens some on the country, but not in cities. It was a better day...

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      Remember when the big cars came to Green Valley? You could hear them all over town. We went to church in Smithfield, driving down Smithfield road was a ride in the country from Keller.
      Sneaking into Green Valley Raceway was awesome. Yet another that should come back: Fire burn outs. The "Night's of Fire" @ GVR were pure greatness. My wife grew up less than a mile from the safety nets at the end of the track. Good times.
      Last edited by mikemorvan; 03-16-2018, 07:25 PM.

Comment

At least 60, probably more.

There are still folks around who will put new seals in those Benjamins. Mine was my dad's, it's around a '56 model. I can still blow up a GI Joe man, or kill a field lark with it.
        You would've fit like a hand in a glove in K-Town in the mid 70's.

Comment

People driving without their face in a cell phone
          Cars you could work on with simple tools and diagnose without a computer
          "Secret" hunting/fishing spots before everybody had a gps
          Teaching kids discipline and work ethic
          Consequences for criminals

Comment

My uncle (and boss) would send me to McDonnell for parts when I was 14, they always gave me a hard time and pretended they were gonna call the cop on me, same thing at the old auto supply. The bum's name was Artie, the dog at the feed store was Murle. Once a year in the spring time they had free barbecue sandwiches and would give your dog shots for 6 bucks. Jr's coffee shop, Golden Burger, and the old rock gym. That was back before Keller sucked as bad as it does now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Artie!!! That's right! Man, it's been a LONG time. As I recall, he was mostly harmless, but he did spit on my brother that day...truthfully, if I had to guess and knowing my brother, he probably did something to earn getting spit upon...

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
              Good times. I go back to around 1k people, one 2A high school, The "Keller Bum" was Artie Pond. Never knew what his story was, except that was always walking one way or another on 377. Always had some cur dog baling wired to his cart.

What side of town were you on? We were on the south end, just inside the city limits. Different day and time.

Another thing that should come back: Pulling over to the side of the road, and stopping, for a funeral procession. I think it still happens some on the country, but not in cities. It was a better day...
              I'm sure you would know my folks' house. It's on 1709 about 1/4 mile West of Pearson Ln., down close to the Southlake border. It was the house next door to where Mike Sutton built Sutton's Nursery when he moved out the location across the street from the Lion's Club. It's now called something different. Anyway, my folks' house is the house just to the east of the nursery, the one that used to have a baseball field in the pasture. There were many, many baseball practices held there. My dad pretty much built a baseball training facility on their 4 acres. It's the cream colored house with blue trim.

Comment

Remember when the big cars came to Green Valley? You could hear them all over town. We went to church in Smithfield, driving down Smithfield road was a ride in the country from Keller.
                Heck Yeah! I used to love to hear those race cars! Yes, Smithfield rd was out in the country. We went to Mt. Gilead Baptist. My folks go to FBC Keller now.

Comment

We moved there in '82, I was 4 but I remember it. I remember hearing quail and coyotes every evening. We lived off keller Hicks out toward 35, my folks still do.

Comment

Srv

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
                      Artie!!! That's right! Man, it's been a LONG time. As I recall, he was mostly harmless, but he did spit on my brother that day...truthfully, if I had to guess and knowing my brother, he probably did something to earn getting spit upon...

He lived in numerous trailers on Katy rd over by Newtons egg farm. He'd pass out with a cigarette burning about once a year and burn the trailer down. Charlie Pennington (Charlie's Concrete) would buy him another one.

Comment

I imagine you know the Parvins, Staleys, and McPhersons.... ever hear of a guy named Jimmy Kirk?

Comment

Don't know Jimmy Kirk. Knew Mickey Parvin well. Knew the Staley boys well. Jim was a senior when i was a freshman, i was deathly afraid of him. Ronnie was two years ahead of me. Earl was in my class. Sheryl McPherson was a classmate.

Sounds like a K-Town get together might be fun...

Comment

My twins school still puts the board on em if they need it. They go to school at Bushland outside of Amarillo. When we were living in Salado they still used the board too.

Comment

Things that should be brought back

Don't know Jimmy Kirk. Knew Mickey Parvin well. Knew the Staley boys well. Jim was a senior when i was a freshman, i was deathly afraid of him. Ronnie was two years ahead of me. Earl was in my class. Sheryl McPherson was a classmate.

Sounds like a K-Town get together might be fun...

My best friend has been with Mickey's daughter for 15 years, Ricky's youngest son and I were roommates some years ago.. I played baseball and football for and against Ronnie Staley, graduated with his oldest son Clint. His dad Jay, framed my folks house, Ronnie and Kirby remodeled it 10 years later. I went to school with the younger McPhersons and shot totes on the dairy.

Lived a couple doors down from a guy named Butch Beardsley for a long time, I owe him A LOT.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 03-16-2018, 08:58 PM.

Comment

He lived in numerous trailers on Katy rd over by Newtons egg farm. He'd pass out with a cigarette burning about once a year and burn the trailer down. Charlie Pennington (Charlie's Concrete) would buy him another one.

I remember him burning down at least one structure over there. Mr. Charlie was a great man. Besides Charlie's Concrete, he also owned The Keller Practice Tee, which is the driving range over there. I worked at the driving range when I was 16 &17 years old. The manager was Jerry Dixon Charlie just gave the driving range to Jerry. I ran into a Charlie's concrete driver about a year ago. He said he'd been driving for Charlie's for a long time. So, I asked him about Mr. Charlie. He said that Mr. Charlie had passed away a few years prior. I always liked Charlie. He was always kind to people. I remember that made an impression on me when hed come over to the range to hit some balls for his lunch break.

Comment

Working...
                                X