Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody effected by these steel/aluminum tarrifs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish I would have bought a bunch of US STEEL stock when it was $7 like my grandad told me to! Dammit...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
      I like this tariff move
      Only if he would come with a more complete thought out plan

How about having SMART goals describing how to move ppl in the South and Midwest off of welfare into the newly reopened steel mills
      I know Alabama has a bunch of closed down mills and also has a high welfare rate

The more I think of it the more I think this is something I could really get behind
      Have the granola treehuggers help him design a more complete aluminum recycling campaign
      I wonder what the recycle rate is for cans anyway?

I need to look that up

This is just the cost of doing business in America
      The biggest market in the world
      I listened on the radio yesterday as Trump spoke before signing the tariffs. He is using this as nothing more than a way to open up a conversation with our global trading partners. I am 100% behind the idea. I also don't believe that the final result will look anything like what he signed. He is asking/demanding these other countries look at their tariffs they impose on US made products and give concessions in an attempt to reduce the trade deficit and create a more equal trading market. The question now is how these other countries react. Trump is attempting to force them to the negotiating table.

When you want a cost reduction but don't know how much you can actually get, do you tell them what you want right up front or do you let them tell you what they are willing to give you first?

Originally posted by TransPecos View Post
      I’m against the way they are being handled. I have been pleased with Trump’s policies up until now. This action has not been well thought out and shows an amateurish approach to global trade. Gary Cohn resigned over this issue. I think using an arcane statute to avoid congressional and international trade commission protocols is getting cute. The branches of government are in place to prevent exactly this kind of action. Importing galvalume coils to be rollformed into R-panel is not a threat to our national security.

There are already dozens of anti-dumping actions in place. Almost all forms of steel from China are already dumped in the US and have been since 2015. China currently accounts for less than 2% of steel imports, yet Trump continues to complain about Chinese steel. I think certain steel products (OCTG for example) are currently being dumped in the US by specific countries. That is why we have anti-dumping laws in place. But instead of targeting a specific situation, like rebar imports from Turkey, Trump is taking a shotgun approach and shooting from the hip.

What this means for the consumer is that the next time you buy galvanized HVAC duct from your local box store or pick up some R Panel from Mueller, you are going to pay 25%+ more. 25% so that Trump can save the critical special election in Pennsylvania’s 18th Congressional district...AKA Steel Country.
      (Regarding the bold) My understanding is that is a misleading number. That only 2% comes straight from China but that a much larger percentage is shipped to other countries first and then brought in thus skewing the numbers. Near the end of Trump's signing yesterday a reporter (I assume) asked him about this practice China uses and he said that it was one of the things that was up for negotiation. IMO, Trump should know the global trading market much better than previous presidents. I'm willing to see how he plays this hand out.

Originally posted by Radar View Post
      Them tariffs aint nothing more than a bargaining chip. Same as the NAFTA threats. Y'all got to know how to haggle, I am sure you do. We will experience some pricing issues for a while, but I reckon it'll work out.
      Exactly!

Comment

My understanding on the 2% is much like Chad's...
        China gets around tariff's and embargos by shipping through other countries...
        so the steel and Honey (yes honey) you see listed as from other exporters...is actually from China.

Comment

Ya’ll are wrong about Chinese Steel...sorta. There are circumvention safeguards in place. Vietnam was caught buying cheap cold rolled from China, hot-dip galvanizing and then exporting to the US in 2016. Now if you want to import from China you must provide the back up paperwork to customs to show the origin of the base metal substrate.

What DOES happen when we have an artificially high domestic steel price, is what Charboil did that last time crazy tariffs were put into place...they moved their entire production. New Braunfels smoker was owned by them in Texas. All Charbroil products are now made in China from Chinese Steel.

I guess Trump could put a tariff on bbq grills. But then he would have to do coat hangers, fasteners, appliances, and and and. I think there is some truth to the idea that the final agreement will look much differently. I just don’t like the taste of a President unilaterally picking which industries win or lose. Especially if it is for political reasons like the congressional election next week in Philly.

Comment

We just got a letter from our largest tubular goods supplier/manufacturer. They manufacture high alloy (though it is still steel) small diameter tubing products for us to our specification. We tried to get the domestic suppliers/manufacturers to do this for us, but none would meet our specification, hence our Sweedish origin for our tubing products... As of March 26th, all price lists are no good/null and void, and new orders placed after March 5 (yes, backdated) will have a 25% increase on them for all "stainless and high Nickel products" until further notice... So yea, it is affecting us, and could be drastically...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              We just got a letter from our largest tubular goods supplier/manufacturer. They manufacture high alloy (though it is still steel) small diameter tubing products for us to our specification. We tried to get the domestic suppliers/manufacturers to do this for us, but none would meet our specification, hence our Sweedish origin for our tubing products... As of March 26th, all price lists are no good/null and void, and new orders placed after March 5 (yes, backdated) will have a 25% increase on them for all "stainless and high Nickel products" until further notice... So yea, it is affecting us, and could be drastically...
              304 / 316 sheet increased 34% in the past 3 weeks.

Javi

Comment

Beer is going up like 3 cents a can....
                Im sure glad I drink Rebecca Creek... Its comes in a BIG glass jug!!!!!!!

Comment

Trump will tell us HODL!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
                    304 / 316 sheet increased 34% in the past 3 weeks.

Javi
                    Both of y'all just increase your prices by 35% across the board and your problems are solved.

We as Americans have to learn to buy and support American
                    And the majority on this site would not have any issue with paying the extra price to support 100% American business that use 100% American raw materials

Comment

Both of y'all just increase your prices by 35% across the board and your problems are solved.

And the majority on this site would not have any issue with paying the extra price to support 100% American business that use 100% American raw materials
                      I guess you missed the previous post were I stated that I'm fine with the tariff since it'll be good for the U.S.A. in the long run to keep steel production in the country.

However, the current increases are not directly caused by the tariff, but rather in anticipation of it...

As for the 100% American made.... most of the ingots used by the U.S. smelters are foreign slabs made of recycled products overseas.. especially in the LEFT coast steel plant.

We did a job for the Texas DOT that required 100% U.S. products unless they could not be sourced.. the paperwork was very revealing..

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
                        I guess you missed the previous post were I stated that I'm fine with the tariff since it'll be good for the U.S.A. in the long run to keep steel production in the country.

However, the current increases are not directly caused by the tariff, but rather in anticipation of it...

As for the 100% American made.... most of the ingots used by the U.S. smelters are foreign slabs made of recycled products overseas.. especially in the LEFT coast steel plant.

We did a job for the Texas DOT that required 100% U.S. products unless they could not be sourced.. the paperwork was very revealing..
                        Spot on! The price increase has slowly been increasing due to the demand and consumption of all materials due to the economic boom because Trump was elected. I run a family owned machine shop and have seen the increase slowly creeping up and the availability of certain materials decreasing. What we could get in 10-14 days now takes up 3 months! The tariff did cause a small increase but there is not enough supply for the demand which is the main reason. A couple of our customers only use 100% USA materials and that is becoming an issue for them. If they would get rid of the EPA BS the mills could be running wide open and prices would decrease...

Comment

You know, I tend not to respond to your posts, and I hate the fact that I even posted to your thread, but I did... Having said that, I can see that not only is your trolling and pot stirring skill set marginal, but your reading comprehension is weak, at best... Go back and look at the bold portion of what you quoted me as saying... We tried to get US companies to furnish us with the material we need, but none would do it. I've been in the high pressure instrumentation business for over 40 years, and I know full well of what I speak... There are some things that American companies are just not interested in doing at any cost and sometimes there are no domestic sources for products that routinely operate at pressures beyond 100,000 psi, and even up to 150,000 psi fluids (both liquid and super-critical fluids). Folks that do this sort of thing are very limited in number and few of them are here in the States, yet because of blanket policies, we get lumped into the "tariffs to bring jobs back to America" crowd when in fact these processes and materials have NEVER been jobs that were here... What all that translates is no matter what, wide blanket policies often have unintended consequences that result in more harm being done than any benefit they ever produce. This tariff policy will be one of those things... The processes I deal with serve the food/pharmaceutical industry, aerospace, steel fabrication, oil patch, etc. Every single one of them will be passing on to the consumer these increased tariff costs... I sure cannot absorb a 25% increase in my cost to supply this equipment, and the folks I sell my processes and equipment to won't absorb it either... that leaves the consumer of the goods and services these processes help to produce to foot the bill... That's you and me.

Comment

... I sure cannot absorb a 25% increase in my cost to supply this equipment, and the folks I sell my processes and equipment to won't absorb it either... that leaves the consumer of the goods and services these processes help to produce to foot the bill... That's you and me.
                            Not a problem
                            We the American people will pick up this tariff with no sweat
                            Trump knows what's best for us

Comment

There'll be some higher costs, but don't forget Canada and Mexico will not face tariffs on their imports.

Comment

Here in China talking to some factories right now about it. They are pretty worried....for themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X