Cattle Ranchers, Goat Farmers, Large Property Owners...this a Must Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cattle Ranchers, Goat Farmers, Large Property Owners...this a Must Watch

This documenatry about Goats blew my mind. Maybe you already knew this but I had no idea. I own five acres and may consider this on a small scale. The science behind this is solid IMO.

In Wyoming battles between sheepherders and cattlemen are legendary and harrowing. With that turbulent history it is a little surprising that the daughter of...

Cool stuff. Would be cool to see them tear through a pasture.

Comment

The thing about them not competing with cattle for browse was the imputis for me to post this. Goats eat the crap no other grazer wants. Not to mention they help keep down pasture fires. I'm so impressed.

Comment

I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very interesting concept.

Comment

This does not scale up to more than a few acres, with well tended fences.

Comment

Originally posted by planomustang View Post
              This does not scale up to more than a few acres, with well tended fences.
              This is what I was thinking. It would cost me a lot more money than I have to fix my fences enough to contain goats. I'd probably not have but a few as they would compete with deer for forage though.

Comment

Goats and sheep compete directly with mule deer for forage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you want to try to raise quality deer, I would not stock very heavy with sheep or goats as they compete for the same food. I asked an old rancher if he thought the fencing on a ranch that we were looking at would hold goats. His response was "Will they hold water?" Since that day, I have found his comment to be true....
                  Adios,
                  Gary

Comment

Good stuff

Comment

I started with goats about 14 years ago. I thought it would be cheaper than buying a tractor. I probably could have paid off three tractors with the money I've spent on fence, feed, and medicine.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Loni said the only thing smarter than a goat is a border collie.....well, I disagree. When someone asks me about goats, I tell them: There's nothing cuter than a baby goat and there's nothing dumber than a grown one.
                        "Farm" goats have to be wormed at least twice a year and you are going to have to trim their hooves at least once a year.....that right there is a royal pain in the *****.
                        They don't just take care of themselves. Oh yeah, they are the premier escape artists of the livestock world.

Comment

What they're not saying is they're using goats to clear small acreage by intense management, they use temporary electric net fence, throw a large number of goats in to clear off undesirable vegetation, then remove the goats and prep the land for another use. It does work but is very time consuming, if your going to stock goats as a primary livestock you have to manage them like all other livestock and adjust the numbers according to range conditions.

Comment

Working...
                          X