No announcement yet.

Why do you love south texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Born, raised and bred in DEEP SOUTH TEXAS.

Grew up riding my bike to the local resaca to catch fish. Fished nothing but crystal clear waters of the Lower Laguna Madre after I got a drivers license. Caught several trout in the 30" range before the great freeze of the early 80's and digital cameras. Took yearly trips growing up down the beach of La Isla del Pardre to the Mansfield cut with my father and his friends to camp and fish all weekend. Caught nothing but snook and red fish in calf deep water throwing artificials the last ten years I lived there.

Hunted huge flocks of white winged dove since I was big enough to hold a shotgun. Chased bobwhite and scaled quail in Starr county. Never really hunted but woke up to the calls of chachalacas coming from the thick brush along the resaca a stones throw from the house my mother grew up in.

Spent hours watching deer and javelina filter in and out of the seemingly endless senderos in Starr county. Sat next to mesquite and ebony fueled camp fires on cold December nights looking up at all the stars. Took up stick and string to chase bucks and nilgai on tens of thousands of acres of public land nestled along the shores of the same bay I fished.

Yeah it's a special place to me. Wish my kids could have lived out there childhood there like I did but opportunities are not there. They do miss it though. My daughter can't wait for our yearly dove hunting trip there each year.

Comment

We don’t have the biggest deer on our leases and we don’t kill a whole lot compared to some people on here but something about the brush and harshness of the country keeps us here. I hunted out in West Texas this past season for a couple days, country was beautiful and has big Deer but I don’t think I’d be able to stay there. I’d be trying to get down south as fast as I could. Born in weslaco and live west of raymondville, hunting is just 20 minutes from my house and I can fish the lower laguna or the gulf in under an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hunted in Webb county about 45-50 years long before corn and feeders and most of the time not even stands. It was awesome back then. Can't beat the adrenalin rush of rattling in big bucks. Those were definitely the good old days before corn. It always reminded me of fishing in the gulf you never knew what you might have hooked. Pretty disappointing what hunting has turned into with all the high fencing and feeding programs and it's turned into a rich mans game. I remember paying $100 a year for a year long lease. Can't beat South Texas for sure

Comment

Most easily summed up in this pic.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Javelina,rattlesnakes,cactus thorns. I love it
            One of the best places I’ve been

Comment

Originally posted by Swooshski View Post
              Because there's just no place like the Texas brush and the variety of wildlife that calls it home. Mystical at dusk and dawn.
              Yep. Plus the rut is a blast down there with rattling and all day hunting.

I am lucky to have hunted some nice ranches in The 70’s and 80’s. As the above poster said, before feeders.

BP
              Last edited by Big pig; 02-22-2018, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Chocolate...

Comment

I don't.. Give me North Texas any day.. Some of the biggest 8 points on the planet live in the panhandle..

Comment

Y’all should see Mexico...

Comment

I love south Texas my home, birth place. Most everything sticks, pokes, scratches, jabs or cuts, stings and or has venom. Not a place for wimps. I love prickly pear and mesquite, grew up climbing mesquite trees as a kid.

All of that pokey, thorny vegetation, is home to many big deer, pigs, quail, my little smelly javi buddies and some big rattlers. I love going to sleep with the windows open, listening to the coyotes, great horned owls and on rare occasions a medium or big cat.

The river I was born next to, you can catch large mouth bass, white bass, catfish, huge alligator gar, spotted gar, gators, reds, flounder, black drum, all from the same spot. Not much need to fish much anywhere else. Follow the river east and you find salt water and big fish, bays, islands and beaches, then the gulf and very big fish.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                        Most easily summed up in this pic.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                        Looks like a Grady Allen picture.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                          I don't.. Give me North Texas any day.. Some of the biggest 8 points on the planet live in the panhandle..
                          Prove it

Comment

Blast from the past in this thread

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                              Looks like a Grady Allen picture.
                              Jerry Smith

Comment

If I could afford south Texas I’d hunt there but for now it isn’t in the picture

Comment

Working...
                                X