Bergara B14 HMR accuracy test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bergara B14 HMR accuracy test

Took the bergara out yesterday to best of the west. I took 3 kinds of ammo.
    Hornady precision hunter 143 eldx
    Hornady Black 140
    Hornady superformance 129 SST

I roughly sighted it in at the lease the other day with the eldx. Bout 10 rounds through it. Brought it home and cleaned it to get serious and see what it could do. It was 29 degrees and no wind. I forgot my kestrel at home so LR shooting was sketchy since I didn’t want to set up my magnetospeed.

Started at 100 with the eldx. Shot ok. Hated the 140s. 129s the first couple groups were 1/2-3/4” but then they started moving. They need to work on their quality control with that stuff. I didn’t chrono it but there was a noticeable sound difference from round to round so I know the charges were all over the place. I shot it all with my harvester on the gun.

I went back and shot 7 more 3 round groups with the 143 eldx. First 2 rounds were solid. 3rd round always was a bit off. All groups still well under 1”. I took it from 250 to 500 to 600 to 750. It shoots slow from what I’m used to. 5.5 mils at 750. (My 7 mag is 5.3 mils at 1000 lol). I’m pretty pleased with a factory gun and factory ammo so far. I’m gonna get 100+ rounds through it then do a good copper cleaning on it and try again. I bet it settles in around 1/2” at 100. Only mods I have made are a timney 517 and an atlas bipod rail. Gun specs are 22” barrel, seekins 20 moa rail and a gen 2 vortex razor 3-18x50 EBR2C mil. Silencerco harvester. All groups shot with my evo bipod up front with a rear bag from the bench.

Here’s 2 groups. I shot 8 groups total with this ammo and all were pretty identical. A few smaller groups. These were the biggest 2 by a small margin. I’m covering one of the sight in rounds in the first pic. I think once the barrel gets settled in it’s gonna be a good shooter. I’m not happy with that 3rd shot in each group and thought it was me that’s why I did 8 groups. It’s repeatable every time. The gun is not bedded. I checked all torque settings on every screw and bolt and all was perfect. Just needs broke in. I think so far the rifle is a good buy for the money for someone wanting to get into shooting long range on a budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How was the factory trigger? Noticed they came out with a new model B14 ridge.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
      How was the factory trigger? Noticed they came out with a new model B14 ridge.
      No creep but heavy. I never leave factory triggers anyway so didn’t give it much of a chance lol. I still have it in a bag.

Comment

3rd shot flier every time. Barrel heat?

Comment

I bedded my HMR at barrel lug and tang. My trigger from factory was 2lb everytime couldn't believe a gun came from factory with so good a trigger. Mine really likes the winchester long range accubonds. .5moa. Starting to handload for it this weekend. Dies are in at local shop.

Comment

Originally posted by coop2564 View Post
            I bedded my HMR at barrel lug and tang. My trigger from factory was 2lb everytime couldn't believe a gun came from factory with so good a trigger. Mine really likes the winchester long range accubonds. .5moa. Starting to handload for it this weekend. Dies are in at local shop.
            Where did you find that ammo? I’ll try it

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              3rd shot flier every time. Barrel heat?
              It didn’t matter how long I waited. It’s strange.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                Where did you find that ammo? I’ll try it
                FT. Worth cabelas 142gr LR Accubond, Winchester expedition big game long range ammo.

Shot doe at 577yds DRT and buck at 372 DRT.

Comment

A factory gun that shoots that well with factory loads? I'd call that a winner.

Comment

I like it!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      It didn’t matter how long I waited. It’s strange.
                      I think that just establishes you are recoil sensitive after three rounds. :-)

Seriously, that is odd. Overall very good results.

Comment

Did I miss what caliber you're shooting?
                        Guessing 6.5 Creed?

Comment

If you don't handload and want to develop one shoot me a PM. I'd love an excuse to get another set of dies and Lapua brass is on clearance right now.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                            If you don't handload and want to develop one shoot me a PM. I'd love an excuse to get another set of dies and Lapua brass is on clearance right now.
                            I am about like you. I am debating a new rifle just to have another caliber to work with.

Narrowed it to 3.

6.5 Creed
                            .375 Raptor
                            .450 Raptor

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                              Watch that Lapua brass- tiny flash holes. Heard of more than one person not realizing that and breaking decapping pins.

Comment

Working...
                              X