Work Shop Air Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work Shop Air Cleaner

I started to buy one of the commercial air cleaners, but decided "I can build that..."

I have an old chest of drawers that has been collecting dust for about 20 years, most of the drawers are long since gone, so I decided to use it as the housing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180113_142711.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	25136538

I started by gutting the left side, removing the drawer guides etc. Once all that was removed I glued, screwed and caulked in some plywood in order to reinforce and make the interior as air tight as possible. Cut and mounted some simple plywood 1/2" strips to act as cleats for the filter.

Called an HVAC friend of mine and he had a pulled furnace blower in good shape he'd let me have. Luckily, the chest was a perfect fit. and the left side was 1" thick oak laminate for mounting.

Name:	20180111_110354.jpg
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	25136539

Mounted the blower unit, cut the exhaust port hole and added a 6x8" register, picked up a 24x24 filter (will be adding a MERV later). Some wiring, and finished it of with a timer switch.

Name:	20180113_144738.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	25136540

Name:	20180113_142722.jpg
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	25136541

Name:	20180113_152458.jpg
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	25136542

Name:	Capture.jpg
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	25136543

I will likely use this top of this chest as a sanding station and maybe add another smaller recessed filter. For now, it does a great job of sucking fine dust that I used to breath.

I plan to build some new drawers for the right side.

She ain't too pretty but, his thing moves some serious air in my 28x20' shop. The fan exhaust will make for good circulation this summer too.

That's a great idea. I hate breathing fine dust. Cedar and red oak kill me.

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
        That's a great idea. I hate breathing fine dust. Cedar and red oak kill me.
        Step on up to Ipe! That stuff is brutal. Cool build!

Comment

After just a couple days in service, from the looks of the filter this thing may be a life saver.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Thats a cool build. Always cool to re-purpose stuff into something useful. Heck of an idea.

Comment

Great job. I have been thinking about something like this but more of a sawdust collector for heavier stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by glpoe1 View Post
                  Great job. I have been thinking about something like this but more of a sawdust collector for heavier stuff.
                  You might be interested in something like this.

For use with 0.5-3HP single stage dust collectors, this DIY cyclone eliminates filter clogging, suction loss, and messy dust bags by removing up to 99.9% of fine dust and debris from the airstream, containing it safely in a customer supplied container. Ready out of the box to connect to your dust collector with either a 4" or 6" hose, and to your tools with either a 4" or 5" hose.

This is on my short to do list. Working out where to run hose and blast gates to anything that produces saw dust.

Comment

Working...
                  X