Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chilli powder question

What is light chilli powder?

Found a recipe that calls for both light and dark chilli powders and I have no idea what light chilli powder is

Dark has been roasted longer giving it a stronger flavor than light.

Comment

I had the same question when I was first making the Terlingua chili recipe on this site.

I just went and bought two different chili powders where one is clearly darker than the other. HEB near me has a bulk spice isle that had New Mexico chili powder and a San Antonio chili powder that were different colors.

The goal is to create multiple layers of different flavors in the dish to build fullness and complexity in the flavor of the final dish. The Terlingua recipe does this by calling for light and dark chili powders as well as two additions of both chili powders that are separated by an hour of simmering.

Chili powders change in flavor as they they cook so, in theory, the timing of when the spices are added turns two chili powder flavors into four that are each slightly different.

All I know is that the end result has an exceptionally rich, deep flavor. I've combined the same basic ingredients in other chili recipes that did not ask for two different turn out tasting as good.

How's that for a bunch of extra information that the OP didn't ask for? I guess I'm guilty giving a 20 minute answer to a simple question.

Comment

Not sure exactly what they are wanting. I can see slight color difference depending on regional growth areas. Maybe different styles of chiles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When a recipe calls for light and dark and I don’t have light (it is hard to find in stores) I sub 1/2 dark for 1 light. So if it calls for 2 tablespoons of light I’ll do 1 tablespoon of dark in its place. Works pretty well.

Comment

That helps, thanks for the replies

Comment

ladrones,

I believe that I read one of your posts where you advised folks that didn't have access to the New Mexico chili powders like you do that Mexana Chili Powder was a quality substitute.

It appears lighter than my dark powders. I bought on this recommendation and was not dissappointed. Might work for the OP.

I was making a pot of the Terlingua winning recipe posted here.

Comment

It’s called Fancy Chili powder.
                Find it in most grocery stores.....

Comment

Originally posted by BigYoung View Post
                  ladrones,

I believe that I read one of your posts where you advised folks that didn't have access to the New Mexico chili powders like you do that Mexana Chili Powder was a quality substitute.

It appears lighter than my dark powders. I bought on this recommendation and was not dissappointed. Might work for the OP.

I was making a pot of the Terlingua winning recipe posted here.
                  I like Gebhardts if I'm in a pinch. I would rather make mine from pods if a good selection is available. Powder would be secondary.

I might try that recipe this weekend. With a dark chimayo and a little green powder.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                    Not sure exactly what they are wanting. I can see slight color difference depending on regional growth areas. Maybe different styles of chiles?

Looks like a place in old town Albuquerque

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                      I like Gebhardts if I'm in a pinch. I would rather make mine from pods if a good selection is available. Powder would be secondary.

I might try that recipe this weekend. With a dark chimayo and a little green powder.
                      You Know I did have a memory lapse...my old Daddy always had a bottle of Mexana in the pantry.

I checked and it is Gebhardts I bought on your recommendation. Thanks for your subtle correction and not blasting me.

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
                        Looks like a place in old town Albuquerque

No it's just a small shop in the north valley.

Comment

That area has some great peppers I need to go back there and visit the food that is

Comment

Working...
                          X