Muzzle loader help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many years ago...16-20, I was hunting with various m.l.rifles. I can remember the loading I used for all but one of them. I have a Knight,50 cal. inline. As I remember I was using a 45 cal hornaday pistol bullet,in a sabot with 80 gr.of 2x black powder. Can anyone confirm that this was a good load and a safe one? Or should I just start over using the more modern black powder equivalents???Give me your opinions,everyone's got one.....
    Last edited by Winman; 02-15-2018, 05:44 PM.

Originally posted by Winman View Post
    Many years ago...16-20, I was hunting with various m.l.rifles. I can remember the loading I used for all but one of them. I have a Knight,50 cal. inline. As I remember I was using a 45 cal hornaday pistol bullet,in a sabot with 80 gr.of 2x black powder. Can anyone confirm that this was a good load and a safe one? Or should I just start over using the more modern black powder equivalents???Give me your opinions,everyone's got one.....
    Honestly, Google is your best friend with this question. You can get a broader audience and gun specific. Plus you would get enough answers to get an average for best load. I had to do the same for my ML. Just a suggestion.

Comment

ought to be safe.

80 grains is a medium light hunting load

Comment

My experience. 50cal inline, I used 100gn of pellets under a sabot with a 44/45 gn bullet. As far as powder, my sidelock, 90gn of substitute under a 380gn lead bullet. No issues with either, post a video!

Comment

I have a knight in line 54 cal. And load 120-150 gr. Ffg goex, behind a hornady Great Plains bullet, or a black belt bullet. 80 gr. Is on the very light side of loads if you ask me.

Comment

You could use a Knight Bloodline Sabot. A little expensive.. They guarantee sub moa with them. The 250gr or 275gr are great for deer.. 300gr is great too but not needed.. Good for if you also want to take something bigger like Elk or if you want to start shooting past 200 yards..

As for powder I've had best luck with 110gr Blackhorn 209 (by volume), but 100gr also works well.. You can go up to 120gr max..
            Last edited by Deers & Beers; 02-15-2018, 07:37 PM.

Comment

My knight inline is 100gr pellet behind a .45 sabot , this is what was recommended by the factory
              It will handle 150 grains of powder but isn’t any better
              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 02-15-2018, 07:43 PM.

Comment

I use 100 gr triple 7 behind a 240 gr sabot

Comment

I would buy some 50gr/50cal pyrodex pellets for the powder and use two. Get some 245gr powebelt bullets and the same Hornaday 240gr sabots and see which your gun likes best. I’ve killed deer with both. The Powerbelts shoots best in my Remington ml700. When using the pyrodex pellets there is a rough and smooth end. You want to face the rough end toward the primer. Unless your trying to shoot long distance there no need in using 150grs of powder in my opinion.

Comment

I shot a .45 250 grain xtp over 80gr of fff black powder. So I’m going to say it sounds like a good load.

777 powder works great also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Buckwheat; 02-15-2018, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the response brothers of the green screen. I knew I could get some good information from this group.

Comment

Working...
                      X