Sheet metal price increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
    Oil companies/refiners do the same thing---price of crude goes up, gas prices follow immediately even though the inventory in the tanks/trucks/refineries was bought at lower price. I've never done a close analysis, but I'm betting that a drop in crude price doesn't generate a drop in price at the pump as quickly.
    Take oil out of the equation and replace it with gold just for a hypothetical.

If it was you’re gold pipeline and it took 15-45 days to get the gold from the ground to and through the pipeline and refinery and transport to a filling station would you sell the gold for a certain profit margin based on your cost or would you sell the gold for as much as you can? High or low, win or loose the producers and retailers sell their products for as much as they can, sometimes at a loss, but never at a flat multiplier or margin over cost.

The companies job is to maximize profits, not provide the gold (or gas, or oil, or diesel, or steel, or whatever other commodities we could plug int this fact of life)

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
      ^^^This^^^

Suck it up butter cups!! If we need to pay a bit more for things but it will be helping with job creation here in the great old USA then so be it.
      I own a metal fab shop and completely agree! If it creates jobs in the good ol USA they might buy something from me.

Comment

I work on a hot dip galv line. This is good news for me. Just like higher oil prices for the guys that work in the oilfields.

Comment

I’m building a add on to my tractor shed. The materials are already setting in a warehouse. Bought long before any tariff was mentioned. But the prices went up over night. It’s gouging. Plane and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander View Post
            Take oil out of the equation and replace it with gold just for a hypothetical.

If it was you’re gold pipeline and it took 15-45 days to get the gold from the ground to and through the pipeline and refinery and transport to a filling station would you sell the gold for a certain profit margin based on your cost or would you sell the gold for as much as you can? High or low, win or loose the producers and retailers sell their products for as much as they can, sometimes at a loss, but never at a flat multiplier or margin over cost.

The companies job is to maximize profits, not provide the gold (or gas, or oil, or diesel, or steel, or whatever other commodities we could plug int this fact of life)
            Don't disagree with your statement about the company's job -- just pointing out something similar to the metals price increase.

Comment

I’m in the process of building a barn on my property. I was told the cost would increase in April but I will not be ready to purchase until after. I believe the price increase was about $500 for a 40x60x14’ with a 25’ roof extension and a lean to 15x85. Just to give an idea.

Didn’t seem like much to me. I’ve been looking at building a barn for 2 years. Everytime I get a quote, they always say steel is about to go up. It’s nothing new

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
                If you are planning on building a metal building soon or metal roof Better hurry prices have already gone up and they will go up again soon.
                R panel has gone from $1.97per ft to $2.55per ft.
                I'd look for another supplier, I'm a GC that biilds a lot with metal building components, we have seen about a 5% increase in our component pricing since the first of the year, there is another 7% coming in late April early May.

Comment

Cost of american business.

Glad I ordered my roof last month!

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                    Cost of buying votesamerican business.

Glad I ordered my roof last month!
                    Fify... guess it didn’t go as planned

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
                      Fify... guess it didn’t go as planned
                      https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1GI00L
                      President Trump is just going checking off his campaign promises. Can't be made at him for that

Comment

Everyone wanted trade jobs back in the US, who is going to do it for minimal wages... Make America Great Again..We stand united under God..Go Trump

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                          How in the hell can they justify that when they have already paid the cheaper prices on the material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Replacement cost. Just like when steel prices dropped with oil prices we dropped our prices even though we paid more for the material we were selling.

Comment

Picked up building components yesterday from Metal Mart and they told me to expect 15 to 20 percent next month.

Comment

Originally posted by stevieray54 View Post
                              Everyone wanted trade jobs back in the US, who is going to do it for minimal wages... Make America Great Again..We stand united under God..Go Trump
                              Exactly this! Everyone wants to buy US and have jobs move here but no one wants to pay the price increase for the wage people make here. Can't have your cake and eat it too folks.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                                Exactly this! Everyone wants to buy US and have jobs move here but no one wants to pay the price increase for the wage people make here. Can't have your cake and eat it too folks.
                                Yep

Comment

Working...
                                X