No announcement yet.

I'm considering becoming a Vegetarian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just food for thought. When I started this I was an athletic (gym 4-6 days a week) 200lbs. I started with a 45lb bow because my vanity wouldn't let me start any lower. That was a mistake. It was too heavy for a beginner, so much so that I ruined my first dozen arrows trying to tune them (another mistake at that early stage) with a form that was just horrible. I was given a set of 35lb limbs for mu Sage and had to start all over and get rid of all the bad habits.

My advice is get a 35lb bow and begin there. I've still got my 35lb Sage and I haul it out for form work when I hit something that I can't fix with my 45lb hunting bow.

Welcome to the dark side.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
      Just food for thought. When I started this I was an athletic (gym 4-6 days a week) 200lbs. I started with a 45lb bow because my vanity wouldn't let me start any lower. That was a mistake. It was too heavy for a beginner, so much so that I ruined my first dozen arrows trying to tune them (another mistake at that early stage) with a form that was just horrible. I was given a set of 35lb limbs for mu Sage and had to start all over and get rid of all the bad habits.

My advice is get a 35lb bow and begin there. I've still got my 35lb Sage and I haul it out for form work when I hit something that I can't fix with my 45lb hunting bow.

Richard.
      I'm with you on that, Richard.

I ain't embarrassed to say I shoot the Sage with 30# limbs at my draw when I start screwing up my form. Especially when tired, I can always shoot it. Funny thing is, it is even more prone to form errors, but you can keep working it out.

Having said that, I don't have heavy bows....heaviest is 47#. Any more than that and I just wear out too quickly. I'm not small, 6'0" 180#, but am getting a little long in the tooth.

Todd

Comment

Thanks guys, this has been very helpful. I think I'll go with the Samick Sage in a lower weight and see how it goes. 3riversarchery seems like a great place to get set up with a bow and arrows in the correct spine.

Although instinctive sounds fun, I'll probably work on crawling down the string and using the arrow tip to aim. The Push on YouTube was excellent in getting me oriented. Can't wait to get started on this journey!!

Couple more questions....

Carbon or Aluminum arrows?
        Is the dynamic spine calculator on the 3riversarchery website fairly accurate?
        Foot the arrow shafts?
        Helix broadhead or should I go with more of a tapered single bevel (cutthroats, Masai, etc)?

I was thinking of going with Black Eagle Instinct. Outserts should protect the front of the shaft and with a 100gr insert I can shoot my 125 gr broadheads.
        Last edited by ag111; 02-04-2018, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Richard.
          I started with a 45lb Sage because I'm just that dang strong.

Strong smelling maybe. 45 at 28 probably equates to 39 or 40 at a shade over 26. And I killed my first trad deer with that bow. So don't sweat that.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Richard.
            I need to do this. At 49# I'm struggling to maintain consistent form.

Comment

I would start at 40-45 with a Longbow knowing what I know after 13 years at it. I was shooting 53# when I started and learned a lot of bad habits that I have still not been able to stop. This is why I am not a top shooter. That and my old eyes. But most important have fun with it and you will get your game in time. Arvin

Comment

Can any of you recommend a good ILF to start out with. I’m typically a buy once cry once kinda guy but, that being said, if there’s something excellent out there in the mid-priced range I’d love to know about it. I’ve been researching tradtech and Hoyt. What else should I look at?

Comment

Working...
                X