Disc harrow question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disc harrow question

Has anyone built thier own? I hate to pay 600.00 for one if I can build it cheaper. I want one to pull behind my Samurai.

not a disk, but my father-in-law built one using RR spikes on channel iron for his harrow.

Comment

Are you wanting a disc or a harrow?

Comment

would be interested in this and of course pics as well

Comment

joegeer- interested in building a disk
          TexAg2002- How does it work? any pics?

here is a link to what I am wanting to build. I have no 1st hand experience setting up the spacers,collars etc for the disc "axle"

Thx
          Last edited by brushtrooper; 06-30-2009, 11:54 AM.

Comment

by the time you purchase all the parts necessary to build it, the $600 isn't a bad price.

Comment

Originally posted by ag9g8ie View Post
              by the time you purchase all the parts necessary to build it, the $600 isn't a bad price.
              I agree. Rebuilt ours a few years back replaced all the blades a couple of axles and bearings. A few broke spacers and was over $300 in parts.

Comment

No picks on my FIL's but it is a triangle out of channel iron with railroad spikes welded on the bottom for the teeth. a toung in front to hook to the ball hitch on his 4-wheeler and an axle in the back. He used an electric jack from a travel trailer to raise and lower the axle. He uses it to clear food plots before he plants them.

Comment

Yea you cant build that for $600. I don't know where you live but the tractor/ 4-wheeler place down the road from my house has a 4-wheeler attachment that discs and also has a seed thrower on it. You might want to check there and see how much that is if it interests you. It is called Brazos Tractor and Equipment in Brazoria, TX.

Comment

I am afraid no matter how you go about it, you are going to spend some money - probably in the $500 to $600 range. One option to save a little money would be to find an old used one somewhere (used farm equipment dealer) and adapt to your use. Replacement parts are expensive so dont buy one that is going to require a lot of work. Since you are going to pull it with a vehicle, should be able to pull a fairly large unit.

Comment

Working...
                    X