Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dang_ol View Post
    I have a question for the people that have used canvas tents. what is yall recommendation on them. this will be my second year going to Colorado, and want a better tent with more room. I will also have 3 other guys going with me so want something all of us can stay in.
    I was looking at the Wilderness tent in 16*20 and angle kit.
    I have limited experience and the one above is my first. Mine is a two person with stove, three person without. Mine is a Becker. It would be a mess to pack in. It's not light but if you're gonna camp next to the truck it'll be good. That's my plan as well

Comment

I have a question for the people that have used canvas tents. what is yall recommendation on them. this will be my second year going to Colorado, and want a better tent with more room. I will also have 3 other guys going with me so want something all of us can stay in.
      I use a 14'x12' with a wood heater. Plenty of room for 3 cots, a little tight for 4. I went with 10 denier because of weight, I wanted to be able to handle it by my self. The size you are looking at will weigh over 200 lbs with no floor. My hooves don't allow me to cover the miles I used to, so, no pack in these days.

Comment

Originally posted by TGoody View Post
        Draw time is coming!!! Just finished up our video from last year's New Mexico hunt! Between the 4 of us we put down 3 monster Bulls! The video is kinda long but I wanted to show the ups and downs of the emotional roller coaster of a hunt. Chasing big game on public lands is by far the toughest yet most rewarding hunting you can do!! So here ya go! If you're using a computer, click the gear box on the bottom right corner and select 1080p HD for best quality. Also it helps to be on wifi! Enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        That video was fantastic. Thanks for posting. 3/4 on DIY stud elk is unheard of. Congrats

Comment

I purchase a 12x14 tent from Davis Tent Co. out of Denver last fall and absolutely love it. I used it in New Mexico for an elk hunt, two deer hunts and a quail hunt. I have a stove jack but prefer to run a propane heater for less hassle and more space. I'd say at that size with a stove you could fit three cots and gear comfortably. Four would be an awful tight squeeze.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
            I understand that, and still have a hard time applying knowing the draw odds are so slim. But I've got an app in with Arizona and Colorado as well as Nevada. Eventually I'll get lucky. And if all else fails, Theres always OTC in CO.
            Yelp. I only put in for premium units, I have a nice hand full of PP in a few states.

I still hunt elk and Mule deer every year. Idaho and CO have some really good OTC options. When the time comes I'll start cashing in points. Most people don't realize that as a general rule most your high point units are high success because of not only limited tags but easier terrain.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
              That video was fantastic. Thanks for posting. 3/4 on DIY stud elk is unheard of. Congrats

Thanks man! It was long hard 10 days

Comment

We got a 14x16 from Davis Tent with the angle kit for internal frame. Cut our own conduit. We love it. Slept 6 on cots with a wood stove for a week in Colorado . It was a little tight. 5 would be better but 6 was doable. Davis usually runs some good specials. They are high quality tents

Comment

Draw time is coming!!! Just finished up our video from last year's New Mexico hunt! Between the 4 of us we put down 3 monster Bulls! The video is kinda long but I wanted to show the ups and downs of the emotional roller coaster of a hunt. Chasing big game on public lands is by far the toughest yet most rewarding hunting you can do!! So here ya go! If you're using a computer, click the gear box on the bottom right corner and select 1080p HD for best quality. Also it helps to be on wifi! Enjoy!!!

I'll second the other comments on this video. Well done. I enjoyed every minute of it while me and my pack where on my treadmill.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                    Drew late season AZ bull tag!!! Not an easy hunt, but I don't care, I'm pumped!
                    What unit did you draw. We were in 23 late archery last year 2016.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
                      What unit did you draw. We were in 23 late archery last year 2016.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
                      I drew 22 North, up around Payson and below the rim.

Comment

You will be west of where we were. Country should be pretty similar. All the bulls were in bachelor groups. They moved a few hours in the morning and evening. We hunted during the super moon so it was extremely bright at night. If you can find water in the thickest most remote places you will have elk. They don't move much and were in the same area day after day. We got within a couple hundred yards but couldn't close the deal. It was so thick and rough we couldn't get any closer. We packed in a few nights and you could hear them walking around by us. We had a good bull right underneath us at 70 yds and couldn't even see it. We could hear but never saw it. Then when we hiked out another hunter was watching the whole thing and told us it was a good bull. We saw a total of 18 bulls. We hunted mainly the manzanita, scrub brush, cat claw areas which is about in the middle of the unit. The northern part was mostly dark timber pine. Take a 4 wheeler if you have it. It will help you cover some area, then get out and hike. All the elk we saw you couldn't see from a truck.

Comment

Nick Escobedo is your man if you need a guide there. He lives in that unit but guides all over. Pm me if you need his info.

Comment

And the late archery hunt will be tough but there are some good bulls in the unit. They may be broken up by the late hunt but they are there.

Comment

fantastic video, and love the choice of music. Lucero is a constant on my playlist.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                                Nick Escobedo is your man if you need a guide there. He lives in that unit but guides all over. Pm me if you need his info.
                                I have already spoken to him twice, heck the wife has already given the thumbs up. But I am just a DIY kind of guy. Still deciding if I want to sleep in a motel and pay for all the bells and whistles, or use my Backcountry stuff to get away. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                                X