Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #1
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia
Default Cape Buffalo Question

What would the minimum draw weight be for Cape Buffalo? Who all on here has done it? My dad is interested in doing a trip if it's feasible. Anyone have an outfitter that offers high percentage opportunity for buff with a bow? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TildenHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2017, 09:15 PM   #2
aggieman08
Six Point

http://www.marromeusafaris.com

Hands down the best place I've found. Never been but a buddy and I have it seriously planned in the future. True Africa, 500,000 acres with no fences.

Bows are so efficient today that you can get by with 70-80 lbs assuming that you shoot a well constructed heavy arrow like a grizz stick tipped with an Ashby broad head.
aggieman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2017, 09:16 PM   #3
aggieman08
Six Point

Watch the video in the website, it that doesn't get you excited, I don't know what will.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.

I know it can be done at 70lbs with the right arrow/BH combo assuming draw length is long enough
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2017, 09:24 PM   #5
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
I know it can be done at 70lbs with the right arrow/BH combo assuming draw length is long enough

29" draw length

Old 04-20-2017, 09:25 PM   #6
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TildenHunter View Post
29" draw length

Should be fine assuming outfitter is ok with it or the country chosen doesn't have a minimum of 80
Old 04-20-2017, 09:34 PM   #7
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Should be fine assuming outfitter is ok with it or the country chosen doesn't have a minimum of 80

10-4. Will check into it.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 PM   #8
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

I did it with a 83# recurve.
A 70 pound compound would have way more penatration
Just go with a heavy arrow at least 900 grains
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2017, 10:13 PM   #9
J-J Matt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Donley, Collingsworth, and Gray Counties. ND, NM, KS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieman08 View Post

Hands down the best place I've found. Never been but a buddy and I have it seriously planned in the future. True Africa, 500,000 acres with no fences.

Bows are so efficient today that you can get by with 70-80 lbs assuming that you shoot a well constructed heavy arrow like a grizz stick tipped with an Ashby broad head.
The video that popped up when I clicked that link was awesome. Boat load of sable and big waterbuck.
J-J Matt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2017, 10:18 PM   #10
Bisch
Pope & Young

I am going in August with a friend who is going to shoot a Cape Buffalo with a 75# recurve and a really, really heavy arrow!

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 04-20-2017 at 10:24 PM..
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 03:26 AM   #11
docmay
Pope & Young

I did it and shot a 90lb compound with a 900 grain arrow. I think arrow weight and foc is number one. I know guys that have done it with 70 lb bows and heavy arrows and kept shots around 20 yards. I would go for a fairly fast bow and try to get to 80 pounds. I would not go below 850-900 grains in arrow weight and I would shoot a solidly constructed 2 blade head. What I mean by that is no screws or aluminum ferrules. I shot a 160 grain stos sharpened to a tanto tip jb welded on to a 100 grain steel insert. Lots of choices out there now but that is what I used. My shot was 32 yards and the broadhead was sticking out 3-4 inches on the far side of the buffalo.
docmay is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 06:37 AM   #12
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

The outfitter (African Arrow Outfitters) I use in RSA had a gentleman kill a big buff with 60#'s and a heavy arrow. A great strong broadhead and the right shot placement is going to be critical.

My set up is a 70# bow at 29" with an almost 800 grain arrow shooting a 220 grain Tuffhead. The arrow will also be double footed for added strength at the business end. My PH, Harry Nel said that would be a great set up.

This is also a bowhunting outfit only and can get you on quality Cape Buffs with a bow, either out of treestands over water or on a walk and stalk. I highly recommend Harry and African Arrow Safaris, especially for bowhunters.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #13
Diamond S
Ten Point

I shot the one in my profile pick with a 70lb 29 inch draw 950 grain total weight arrow.

I hunted with Adansonia safaris
Diamond S is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #14
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Thanks everyone. Seems like getting some arrows built is just as (if not more) important then draw weight. My dad generally shoots whitetail and mule deer at 55 lbs or so. He could certainly get up to 70 lbs but anymore then that would be tough. He is in great shape but isn't a big guy. He would like to try and get it done in 2018 and will be 65 yrs old then. I hope it all comes together and he gets to make the trip! Bucket list item for him.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:27 AM   #15
rladner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I hunt with Limcroma and have had several opportunities with a bow while chasing other animals. My wallet just can't handle a buff.......yet. I know they will want you to pull 80. One of these days I will get after em. Personally, not sure I could do 80 right now ha ha. Would need to get the muscles trained. But, you can contact them and see what the minimum draw weight they would require. I can give you my PH's contact info if you want. PM me. He loves chasing buff.
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #16
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieman08 View Post

You weren't kidding about that video . Breathtaking, thanks for posting!
Old 04-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #17
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX

Great video, amazing close up shots with I assume a drone.
Bill in San Jose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #18
aggieman08
Six Point

Quote:
You weren't kidding about that video . Breathtaking, thanks for posting!
No problem, I've talked to Anton a couple of times at HSC and DSC and he is very confident about getting it done with a bow on foot. He has a couple of hunters per year do it. Many hunters kill them with double rifles with him and the range is limited to 50-60 yards. Lastly, Tim Wells killed one on foot that was sleeping in the reeds with a spear.

I have talked to a lot of people about the very hunt your dad is wanting to do and these guys were the top of the list..... roughly 15k for a 10 day free range cape hunt including trophy fee in Mozambique is a steal.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:58 PM   #19
LuBowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Real County, Chambers County, Kansas, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Nebraska

LuBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #20
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBowhunter View Post

Nice Buff

Old 04-21-2017, 09:00 PM   #21
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond S View Post
I shot the one in my profile pick with a 70lb 29 inch draw 950 grain total weight arrow.

I hunted with Adansonia safaris
I was with him

This is why I said it would be fine as long as they were ok with the setup
Old 04-21-2017, 09:00 PM   #22
bphillips
Pope & Young

Quote:
Nice Buff

Old 04-21-2017, 09:08 PM   #23
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

The correct combination of a bow set up you are confident in, the right arrow/broadhead combination for what you are going to hunt such a Cape Buffalo and the correct shot placement will do the job. Not a lot of guys on here could pull 80#'s I would think. I know some can, but I know I can't so for me if an outfitter recommends 80#'s for a Cape Buffalo hunt, I would have to pass. I have never hunted one but hopefully in there near future if not this coming summer and I will be going with 70#'s and an arrow approaching 800 grains with a Tuffhead single bevel 220 grain head that will be double footed for better strength at the front end. This is what my PH said would work for him.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 09:43 PM   #24
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

The video was cool, had no idea sable traveled in such large herds. We put a 2000.00 deposit on a hunt years ago, and have kinda forgotten about it.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #25
firehunt fish
Spike

Hunt In: South Africa

It is both feasible and ethical to archery hunt for a cape buffalo with as little as 65lbs. of draw weight provided that you have the right combination of total arrow weight, FOC, and the right broadhead. The 80lb. draw recommendation is an outdated minimum that was the rule of thought before we realized the physics of momentum, heavy FOC and their direct relation to penetration.

I have seen several cape buffalo taken in recent years with compound and traditional bows in the 65-75lb. range. The key is an arrow built to at least 950 grains with an FOC of 20% or greater and a forged steel, 2-blade, single bevel broadhead..... You can't get caught up in the slow fps. Arrow speed is not the key in this application. These heavy arrow set-ups generate a crazy amount of momentum and perform amazingly well.
firehunt fish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2017, 06:26 PM   #26
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehunt fish View Post
It is both feasible and ethical to archery hunt for a cape buffalo with as little as 65lbs. of draw weight provided that you have the right combination of total arrow weight, FOC, and the right broadhead. The 80lb. draw recommendation is an outdated minimum that was the rule of thought before we realized the physics of momentum, heavy FOC and their direct relation to penetration.

I have seen several cape buffalo taken in recent years with compound and traditional bows in the 65-75lb. range. The key is an arrow built to at least 950 grains with an FOC of 20% or greater and a forged steel, 2-blade, single bevel broadhead..... You can't get caught up in the slow fps. Arrow speed is not the key in this application. These heavy arrow set-ups generate a crazy amount of momentum and perform amazingly well.
Yep, I did mine with 73 pounds and a 950 grain grizzly stick tipped with a single bevel Massai.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2017, 07:40 PM   #27
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Thanks everyone. I'm confident he can shoot in that 70-73 lb range and get some big time arrows set up.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:40 PM   #28
enewman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

I've never hunted a cape. But I do look and research arrows for that type of hunting. I would look into a bishop broadhead. I would look at Alaska bowhunting grizzly stik shafts. Like already posted build it around 900 gn. With as much foc that is possible and keep arrow with great flight. Foc I'm talking about is mimimum of 20%
enewman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #29
firehunt fish
Spike

Hunt In: South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Yep, I did mine with 73 pounds and a 950 grain grizzly stick tipped with a single bevel Massai.
Perfect set-up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enewman View Post
I've never hunted a cape. But I do look and research arrows for that type of hunting. I would look into a bishop broadhead. I would look at Alaska bowhunting grizzly stik shafts. Like already posted build it around 900 gn. With as much foc that is possible and keep arrow with great flight. Foc I'm talking about is mimimum of 20%
Bishop broadheads are a great choice, as are the Helix's.... There have been past concerns raised with the broadheads from Grizzlystiks in regard to the steel used being too brittle resulting in cracks and chinks in the steel. Grizzlystik has supposedly addressed and corrected this by changing their forging process.

That said, we have had several clients use Grizzlystik broadhead and arrow combinations with great success. We have also seen good results with the Easton FMJ DG arrow. They also offer a customize-able brass insert capable of giving you really high total arrow weights and high FOC's above 20%. Arrows built with weight tubes are not the best choice because they don't offer the ideal FOC weight distribution. The FOC is just as important as the total arrow weight with these set-ups.
firehunt fish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #30
Diamond S
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I'm confident he can shoot in that 70-73 lb range and get some big time arrows set up.

I just happen to have several of the arrows (never shot ) I had made for my cape hunt, along with broad heads ( Never shot ) that I could let go of for a fair price.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:17 PM   #31
Diamond S
Ten Point

Guess I should tell you they are grizzly sticks and Ed Ashby single bevel heads Total weight for the set up is 950 Grains.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #32
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond S View Post
Guess I should tell you they are grizzly sticks and Ed Ashby single bevel heads Total weight for the set up is 950 Grains.

He is not going (if he goes at all) until August 2018. He doesn't even own a 70lb bow at this time. I'm sure there will be lots of other purchases in his future if he does decide to make the trip.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:42 PM   #33
MedicineMan7
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere they let me in!

I'm in the initial stages now of getting my bow and gear ready for a buff hunt next August/September. My bow is currently being built now by dryad and is going to be 75 to 77 pounds@ 27" (longbow).

As stated by many above and from many others I've talked to, the biggest thing is the arrow set up and it's strength to hold up against the Cape buffalo's skeletal make up because it's not a matter of if you will hit a rib, it's a matter of what part of the rib bones you are going to hit going in and you definitely don't want your arrow to fail!

MedicineMan7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top