3 Yr. T/C Study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Yr. T/C Study

Just finished my third season of documenting my daylight buck pictures. I documented results from the first two years in the thread East Texas Deer Activity. After adding this year's data, I feel pretty good about some of my initial findings, and not so good about others. The biggest tendency I found was a significant increase in buck pictures during the major and minor activity periods according to the solunar tables (moon location). Major and minor time periods add up to about 4 1/2 hours out of an average 11 hours of daylight. That is less than 40% of daylight hours. Yet, 77% of my buck pics occurred during these times. Also, that percentage was relatively consistent in each of the three years.

It is worth noting that none of my other assumptions held up over the three year period other than December in East Texas is really tough. Weather, time of day, moon phase and barometric pressure really didn't show to be a consistent factor over the long haul. This year was the worst of the last three, probably due to several floods we had in our area and the fact that much of my property is creek bottom.

I know many people don't believe in the solunar tables (moon location) but based on the documented data over the past three years on my property, I am going to use it to help determine my hunting schedule, since I try to limit the number of sits during the season to keep from burning out my stands with excess pressure.

Interesting. So what solar/lunar table are you referencing? You strictly looking at moon phase or suggested times by a table?

Comment

Very nice. I admire your dedication to doing something like that for 3 years running.
      I

Comment

Do you pay any attention To pressure rating? Curious if you noticed more movement with high pressure

Comment

Interesting

Comment

Cool!

Comment

That’s pretty cool

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                Interesting. So what solar/lunar table are you referencing? You strictly looking at moon phase or suggested times by a table?
                I use ISolunar. Major time period is when moon is directly overhead or underfoot. Minor period is when moon is on horizon - rising or setting. I found no noticeable difference in phase of the moon.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                  Do you pay any attention To pressure rating? Curious if you noticed more movement with high pressure
                  Yes, I tracked that through the first two years and then gave up on it this year. Just didn't see any patterns develop. I did notice that most of the days in November had a high pressure rating, so its easy to say that high pressure days are best when its really not statistically relevant.

Comment

Glad you're still tracking this. I remember the other two posts. It's not a coincidence that you're seeing that pattern with the moon. People deny it but it has been proven over and over. I think it's because they don't actually understand how the moon's phases work.

The sonar tables are based on where the moon is at what time, and where the moon is at that time is based on the lunar calendar. Lots of people don't even realize that the full moon always rises at sunset. If you could track a deer for his entire life, his "schedule" is going to change a little less than an hour per day, *on average* (24 hours in a day, 28 days between full moons). Obviously weather and predators will affect it, but their schedule is still designed around light.

Comment

Originally posted by NoFence View Post
                      Glad you're still tracking this. I remember the other two posts. It's not a coincidence that you're seeing that pattern with the moon. People deny it but it has been proven over and over. I think it's because they don't actually understand how the moon's phases work.

The sonar tables are based on where the moon is at what time, and where the moon is at that time is based on the lunar calendar. Lots of people don't even realize that the full moon always rises at sunset. If you could track a deer for his entire life, his "schedule" is going to change a little less than an hour per day, *on average* (24 hours in a day, 28 days between full moons). Obviously weather and predators will affect it, but their schedule is still designed around light.
                      Back in the 80's I took a lot of people fishing on the Nunley Brothers' Coyote Ranch. Lots of big tanks filled with some great bass. I really noticed the effects of the solunar tables back then, but have never documented any hard data on the subject til now.

Comment

I use the Isoulunar app and I won't hunt without checking it. I think many factors can alter the movement, like rut, weather, hunting pressure etc. But the lunar app is a great starting point to plan a hunt. And if I only have a few hours to hunt on a day, I'll hunt on the movement times. Last year on a late season hunt I had to scramble to be on stand by a 1:30 pm major movement time and I had 5 bucks show up at 1:33pm. The late season bachelor groups often get very predictable!

Comment

Question...

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                          I use ISolunar. Major time period is when moon is directly overhead or underfoot. Minor period is when moon is on horizon - rising or setting. I found no noticeable difference in phase of the moon.
                          Is that an app ? ISolunar?

Comment

Is this study being conducted on a place where the deer are being fed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Good information. My hat is off to you for sticking with this. I’m curious as to how many cameras you use and how many acres you cover?

Comment

Working...
                              X