Video revealed my form flaw... (Whew!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video revealed my form flaw... (Whew!)

I finally figured it out! It was driving me crazy - for the last couple of weeks although accuracy was good, I was getting a pronounced tail-left kick. With hunting season approaching I was becoming worried about how much KE was being lost as the fletching straightened out the arrow. I spent a lot of time blank bailing, trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. My first thought was a release flaw (ie: plucking) It was frustrating because everything felt fine - it "felt like" I was doing everything properly. This weekend I took video of myself and it was immediately apparent that I was short drawing due to slightly moving my head forward and hunching my shoulders. This was causing me to short draw by at least an inch, making the arrow fly like it's over spined. I started over at the blank bale, making sure I got full expansion and then went in the yard to see if it helped. Bingo - First shot flew like a dart with no tail wag. For me, the moral of the story is form flaws sometimes creep up on you gradually to the point that you feel like you are doing everything right - when you're not. Since I shoot by myself - no one to watch my form -I never would have figured it out without the video.

I had this very same problem not too long ago. To overcome this issue I completely lock out my shoulder, elbow and stand erect with my head held "proud". Then after that it is just a matter of getting a full back stretch and I'm golden. I have a bad habit of returning to bad habits lol so I practice this daily close to the bag so I can keep this the norm

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
      I finally figured it out! It was driving me crazy - for the last couple of weeks although accuracy was good, I was getting a pronounced tail-left kick. With hunting season approaching I was becoming worried about how much KE was being lost as the fletching straightened out the arrow. I spent a lot of time blank bailing, trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. My first thought was a release flaw (ie: plucking) It was frustrating because everything felt fine - it "felt like" I was doing everything properly. This weekend I took video of myself and it was immediately apparent that I was short drawing due to slightly moving my head forward and hunching my shoulders. This was causing me to short draw by at least an inch, making the arrow fly like it's over spined. I started over at the blank bale, making sure I got full expansion and then went in the yard to see if it helped. Bingo - First shot flew like a dart with no tail wag. For me, the moral of the story is form flaws sometimes creep up on you gradually to the point that you feel like you are doing everything right - when you're not. Since I shoot by myself - no one to watch my form -I never would have figured it out without the video.
      That is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo very true!

Glad you got it figured out, John!

Bisch

Comment

Very smart of you to use the video. I once videoed my nearly flawless golf swing...and I found I looked more like Charles Barkley than Tiger Woods. Who knew.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          That is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo very true!

Glad you got it figured out, John!

Bisch

Agreed. I can be bad about it.

Comment

I haven't videod myself shooting in a while. My shooting is suffering so I think its time.
            Glad you got it figured out Jerp

Comment

Working...
            X