82 Scrambler rebuild.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
    Very cool project! How do you think the AMC 20 will hold up? I have a 76’ CJ7 that I am getting road worthy again. It was actually sold here on TBH back in 2011. It has the 304 v-8/3 speed in it. I have been contemplating a 4bt or I do have built 351w I could use. Still lots of thinking and not much wrench turning yet though

I have a Ford 9” I had planned to narrow for this but after some reading I found that the only 2 weak links in the 20 are the 2 piece axles which are already upgraded to one piece and the tube strength which can be helped with a truss which will be added now. The 20 is already geared so it will be a considerable cost savings.

If I grenade it I will still have the 9” on stand by [emoji6]

Comment

Cool project!

The 9” is leaps and bounds stronger. Some 31 spline CrMo axles are not difficult to source, and 3.73 was a common gear ratio in pickups and vans.

Does the Scrambler crack the frame at the bow, like the CJ-7 does? If so, now is the time to box the frame. It’s a pain to fix later on the 7 (I’ve helped fix one, seen several that fatigue and crack)

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

following! this looks great

Comment

Oh baby...I do love a CJ8...

Off to a great start!

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
            Cool project!

Does the Scrambler crack the frame at the bow, like the CJ-7 does? If so, now is the time to box the frame. It’s a pain to fix later on the 7 (I’ve helped fix one, seen several that fatigue and crack)

Henry David Thoreau

I'm not familiar with this cracking issue. I doubt mine has it as it has lead a pretty civilized life with no hard wheeling. I would like to address this now when the body is off though. What areas in particular should I be looking at?

Comment

Basically, they crack where the frame bends

This is a picture from Pirate 4x4

My buddy’s frame, cracked at the second bend. It was a booger to repair, because he didn’t want to tear his rig down, so we used chain binder to pull it back into square, and then weld in repair plates and boxed it to beef it up.

The real beauty of everything Jeep, is the aftermarket support.

Here is a company with frame boxing kits:

Customize you trusty Jeep CJ with M.O.R.E.'s "RockProof" products. After installing our parts on your CJ7 or CJ8, you'll hit your favorites trails with greater confidence knowing your Jeep is up for the challenge. Our parts also carry a Lifetime Warranty. FREE Shipping on orders over $75. Call (877) 533-7229.

There are others out there as well.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Following!

Following!
                Attached Files

Comment

thats awesome

Comment

^^^ love that pic!

Comment

Originally posted by The BARn View Post

Following!
                      Nice! What lift and tire size are you running? Love the name and thank you for your service

Comment

^^^Looks like someone has been jeepin around The Riding River Ranch! Awesome place

Comment

Blue hole!

Originally posted by Ducks-n-Bucks View Post
                          ^^^Looks like someone has been jeepin around The Riding River Ranch! Awesome place

Comment

So friggin' sweet. I love the Scramblers. Nice work.

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Watching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X