Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2017, 11:56 AM   #1
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young
 
JTeLarkin08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aledo
Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress
Default Getting into mountain shape thread!!!!

Ok guys we're pretty much 12 weeks out from elk and deer season. It's time to buckle down and get into shape. Let's use this thread to post workouts and progress. And before 37 people post they don't need to work out to walk to a deer stand just move on we don't need your negativity here.

So in my opinion the perfect mountain hunter is lean and strong but also pretty light, 160-190 pounds. I am sitting at about 220 right now. My plan is to drop at least 20 pounds by my elk hunt in September. The plan is to get a good mix of crossfit style workouts and hiit cardio as well as some longer runs and weighted pack rucks. I don't mind losing a little muscle in my upper body but will be Killing legs. Diet is going to have to be my number one priority however.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #2
TXBowhunter11
Ten Point
 
TXBowhunter11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wichita Falls Tx
Hunt In: Seymour, Wichita Falls.
Default

I'll be following along. Not going Elk hunting but weight about 235 and would love to shed 20 lbs!
TXBowhunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Good thread!! I have been on a "get in shape" state of mind for about three weeks. I hope to go elk hunting but it's not looking good at this point. I started lifting weights and have been doing the Keto eating plan. I am down 8 lbs in two weeks on Keto and feel way better. Hoping to go from 207 to about 185. I am cycling and playing basketball for my cardio and walk substantially at work but may take up a bit of ruck type walks soon. Best of luck to you and others trying to get that bit of extra fat off!!
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
Voodoo
Six Point
 
Voodoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tejas
Hunt In: Highway Medians
Default

2hrs of stair master every day on level 8 with a 30lb pack and a 15lb dumbbell in each hand with a 3m dust mask on your face.

It works.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
DapperDan
Pope & Young
 
DapperDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tomball Tx
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Following as well


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
bwssr
Pope & Young
 
bwssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Madisonville, Texas
Hunt In: Madison county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
2hrs of stair master everyday on level 8 with a 30lb pack and a 15lb dumbbell in each hand with a 3m dust mask on your face.

It works.
the pack and the bleachers at the high school football field
bwssr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
tbeak
Ten Point
 
tbeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Hunt In: Anywhere i can
Default

I warm up with the treadmill on 8 then go up from there for an hour or so. Sometimes with a pack other times without.
tbeak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
Wisco
Nubbin' Buck
 
Wisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: College Station
Hunt In: Wisconsin
Default

I started putting 3 gallons of water in a pack frame and walking two miles to work every day.
Wisco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #9
SwampRanger
Ten Point
 
SwampRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 3rd Coast
Hunt In: Batson, Gulf Coast, Wyoming....
Default

Davis Mountains tried to kill me and it wasn't that bad! Good luck and train hard!
SwampRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #10
ultralite09
Pope & Young
 
ultralite09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: N. DFW
Hunt In: Childress, Brady
Default

In. I wont be making it this season but prepping my self for the following season.

Some how let myself go and got up to 350.... 9 months later im sitting at 280 right now with proper diet and HEAVY weight training. Enjoyed "new" self the past month and started phase 2 of my cut yesterday. Diet will be on point and looking to be down to 220 or even 200 by the time im ready to hit the backcountry.

Will be maintaining my heavy weight training and still doing my usual cardio which lately has been HIIT on a mountain bike or stair climber. Will start incorporating the snorkel on bleacher runs closer to next year.
ultralite09 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 02:57 PM   #11
x1jett
Ten Point
 
x1jett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Graham, TX
Default

Stairs, stairs, and more stairs.
x1jett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #12
150class
Pope & Young
 
150class's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne
Default

In!

8pointer is suppose to start accompanying me at the lease to start walking through the hill country
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 02:59 PM   #13
Pkripper
Ten Point
 
Pkripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Dallas
Hunt In: East Texas Colorado
Default

Cardiovascular exercises. I'm 240 and still climb the peaks but cardio is number 1. Just my.02
Pkripper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #14
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young
 
JTeLarkin08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aledo
Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkripper View Post
Cardiovascular exercises. I'm 240 and still climb the peaks but cardio is number 1. Just my.02


Don't get me wrong I'm not saying you have to be 160 to climb mountains. I have done it too. But it makes it a heck of a lot easier on your joints and body to be lighter. There is no 240 pound person gonna out hike someone like Steve Rinella or Adam Foss


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #15
TX03RUBI
Four Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lubbock
Default

Stairmaster, running, squats, dead lift, leg press, repeat
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #16
Zen Archery
Ten Point
 
Zen Archery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Allen, Texas
Hunt In: G-ds blessed earth!
Default

I started last August. Group I go with are a bunch of Colorado Billy Goats. Meaning they can run up and down the hills (literally) as I am left in the dust dying.

I trimmed off 30 lbs doing the Juice Plus plan.
I started carrying a 30 lbs pack back in March and up to 80 lbs. I have different routes I travel from 2-7 miles a day.

Strength, core work outs. I work hard 5 days a week and rest on the weekend.

Finally last stage is to reduce oxygen intake while working out one month before we hit the mountains.

Another fun exercise is to do 50, 75, 100 yard dash and shoot your bow at 50-80 yards.
Do the same thing carrying your day pack.
Zen Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #17
CRM_95
Pope & Young
 
CRM_95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: East TX
Hunt In: East TX
Default

Good thread!! I'm going elk hunting in 2018, and working toward it now. I had gotten down to about 170 when I was running a lot, but I'm back up to 185-190 now and at 6'4'' that's about where I'll stay. I'm a lot stronger now and still have pretty good endurance. I just finished the first week of P90X, and do a lot of walking (wearing my pack) in addition to that. Next summer I'll focus mainly on legs and cardio but still try to keep my weight about where it is. If I can eat that much and still eat clean!!
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #18
Montec man
Ten Point
 
Montec man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Georgetown
Hunt In: Hare/Granger, Tx P.S. Theres no deer in Hare
Default

Cardio alone just doesn't do it. You must incorporate uphill running/bleachers and weight lifting. I like interval training.....lift for 5 minutes and then sprints for 2 minutes .
Montec man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 03:40 PM   #19
LWR2
Ten Point
 
LWR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Hunt In: Sonora, Bandera
Default

I have lost 35 pounds with Diet Weight Train and Cardio. I weight train 5 days a week and cardio/hiit circuit training 6 days a week. My diet is on point and I try and follow my macro plan to a T.

LWR2
LWR2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 03:44 PM   #20
JPR79
Four Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Beaumont
Hunt In: Big Thicket NPS
Default

I need to jump in this too... good ideas above. Wish I could train at higher elevation though!
JPR79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 03:49 PM   #21
32drawlength
Pope & Young
 
32drawlength's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Frisco
Hunt In: Palo Pinto County, Mexia
Default

Going to Wyoming & Colorado on back to back trips in October.
My goal is "legs & lungs" conditioning training.
Been running & using the elliptical from 20-30 mins a session & then pushing weights in high rep sets
Good luck guys & stay motivated!
32drawlength is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 04:33 PM   #22
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.
Default

Don't get me wrong legs and lungs are important good to be able to climb but something that gets overlooked is getting your feet used to going downhill with weight. You will be in pain if your feet aren't ready. I've been easing into my workouts. 6'2" and down from 210 to 190 since March. Cut out junk sugars and just cleaned the diet a little bit. Plenty of legs and cardio in there as well. I have no mountain hunt this year but getting a jump start on Aug '18 sheep hunt

Made it out this morning with my boots and pack and hit Guadalupe Peak. Easy money going up but my feet got sore coming down on the last mile so they need to toughen up more still. Good news is my boots only had 3 miles of flatland on them before the hike and I had no blisters or bad pain
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1496180237.573884.jpg
Views: 2266
Size:  33.4 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1496180254.556639.jpg
Views: 2273
Size:  62.0 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1496180310.818103.jpg
Views: 2264
Size:  45.9 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1496180327.259241.jpg
Views: 2267
Size:  103.5 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1496180346.785984.jpg
Views: 2242
Size:  85.3 KB

Last edited by bphillips; 05-30-2017 at 04:39 PM..
bphillips is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 04:40 PM   #23
trophyhunter
Ten Point
 
trophyhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bee Cave, TX
Hunt In: Brown & Menard Counties and the rest of the World!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
2hrs of stair master every day on level 8 with a 30lb pack and a 15lb dumbbell in each hand with a 3m dust mask on your face.

It works.
I'm tired just thinking about that!!!!

Idaho elk hunt in September. Need to get it in gear!
trophyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #24
gunboy
Four Point
 
gunboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Huffman
Hunt In: Newton Co / Starr Co
Default

My first elk hunt in Montana comin up in sept
Gonna start with this workout
run 1/4 mile with weighted vest
50 40 lb kettle bell swings
50 burpees (hate those)
25 20 lb one arm kettle bell swings
3 shots with bow at 50 yards
do that four times - each set u get closer by ten yards for bow shots (simulate heart rate when time comes for shot)
then go on 2 mile hike with weights in ruck sack (simulate pack in)
i'll tweak it as I go
also working on strength training to increase draw weight
theres a good youtube video on that by Cameron Haynes it actually fixed a shoulder injury I had for two yrs!
good luck boys!
also got to do some squats get some work on them chicken legs of mine!

Last edited by gunboy; 05-30-2017 at 05:12 PM..
gunboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 05:13 PM   #25
Chris Martin
Six Point
 
Chris Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central TX
Default Getting into mountain shape thread!!!!

I'm back after it steady again. There's a few of us hitting Cameron park here in Waco with weighted packs on Wednesday's and fridays at lunch if anyone wants to join. We've been pretty consistent as long as everyone can squeeze away for a break from work. Huaco bowmen archery club is close to shoot after the hike if there's time as well. Any and all are welcome.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 06:08 PM   #26
ladrones
Pope & Young
 
ladrones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboy View Post
My first elk hunt in Montana comin up in sept
Gonna start with this workout
run 1/4 mile with weighted vest
50 40 lb kettle bell swings
50 burpees (hate those)
25 20 lb one arm kettle bell swings
3 shots with bow at 50 yards
do that four times - each set u get closer by ten yards for bow shots (simulate heart rate when time comes for shot)
then go on 2 mile hike with weights in ruck sack (simulate pack in)
i'll tweak it as I go
also working on strength training to increase draw weight
theres a good youtube video on that by Cameron Haynes it actually fixed a shoulder injury I had for two yrs!
good luck boys!
also got to do some squats get some work on them chicken legs of mine!

Be careful with your knees when running with the weighted vest.
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 06:36 PM   #27
sharkhunter
Pope & Young
 
sharkhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Houston , TX
Hunt In: Looking for a place
Default

In addition to running 5 miles 3 days a week I would power walk with 10# weights for 5 miles two days a week. It really strengthened my core and upper body.
sharkhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #28
Dry Bones
Ten Point
 
Dry Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Navarro County
Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available
Default

JT I'm about as lean as they come, and I wouldn't bet on me in the mountains.
I weigh approx 125# and 5'7" Mostly stay in decent shape throughout the year, but I can tell I do not have the wind I used to. Maybe this thread can keep my rear inspired to get back into a real regiment again. Nothing heavy, (LOL frame prohibited ) but serious push to recover what once was there.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 07:11 PM   #29
NMStickFlinger3
Ten Point
 
NMStickFlinger3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Albuquerque
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

This in an interesting thread....growing up hunting muleys and elk in the high country, I never understood why getting into "mountain hunter" shape was so important! It doesnt take hiking 10 miles into the wilderness to kill an elk or deer! More importantly, do some homework, study maps, and get some scouting in! I do understand that there are some areas that require a bit more work due to pressure, but it seems some go to the extreme!! I give some serious credit to those who hike in 5+ miles solo, kill an animal, and pack it out....all by themselves!! I just feel like there is an easier way! Good luck to all those who prepare for the worst though! I wish nothing but the best (easiest)!!
NMStickFlinger3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 07:25 PM   #30
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMStickFlinger3 View Post
This in an interesting thread....growing up hunting muleys and elk in the high country, I never understood why getting into "mountain hunter" shape was so important! It doesnt take hiking 10 miles into the wilderness to kill an elk or deer! More importantly, do some homework, study maps, and get some scouting in! I do understand that there are some areas that require a bit more work due to pressure, but it seems some go to the extreme!! I give some serious credit to those who hike in 5+ miles solo, kill an animal, and pack it out....all by themselves!! I just feel like there is an easier way! Good luck to all those who prepare for the worst though! I wish nothing but the best (easiest)!!
If it wasn't for Alaska sheep I probably wouldn't put a lot of effort in to it. MOST elk and deer country isnt too bad. You can make it harder than it has to be pretty easy though
bphillips is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #31
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

I started in January. I'm down 50 lbs. I've been slacking and haven't worked out in 2-3 weeks due to being on night shift. I'll get back into it. Elk gonna die son!!
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 07:29 PM   #32
LukeDuke
Ten Point
 
LukeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denton County
Hunt In: Texas, Kansas, Louisiana
Default

I like the idea of training with a future hunt as the carrot. I've been wanting to do an elk hunt for years.
LukeDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 07:30 PM   #33
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young
 
Bowhuntamistad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Del Rio, Tx / Las Vegas, Nv :)
Default

I'm at 225 and have found only two people that can keep up with me.

Also helps I'm in the mountains several times a week .



It does help your body to be lighter, but there are so many other factors to kicking arse in the mountains. Look at guys like the late/great Roy Roth and Cam Hanes, these aren't small guys and they kill it on the mtn.

Last edited by Bowhuntamistad; 05-30-2017 at 07:34 PM..
Bowhuntamistad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 07:31 PM   #34
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
I started in January. I'm down 50 lbs. I've been slacking and haven't worked out in 2-3 weeks due to being on night shift. I'll get back into it. Elk gonna die son!!
Nights has been killing me too
bphillips is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 07:32 PM   #35
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
I'm at 225 and have found only two people that can keep up with me.

Also helps I'm in the mountains several times a week .



It does help your body to be lighter, but there are so many other factors.
Big difference lol


When I was on my spring bear hunt the late Roy Roth would absolutely leave me in the dust going up and down. No way he was under 300lb but he did it everyday
bphillips is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 07:33 PM   #36
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Nights has been killing me too
Dadgum coffee and munchies kill me on nights and if I work out in the morning when I get off it keeps me up. If I work out before I go to work at night it makes me tired. LOL
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 07:34 PM   #37
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young
 
JTeLarkin08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aledo
Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMStickFlinger3 View Post
This in an interesting thread....growing up hunting muleys and elk in the high country, I never understood why getting into "mountain hunter" shape was so important! It doesnt take hiking 10 miles into the wilderness to kill an elk or deer! More importantly, do some homework, study maps, and get some scouting in! I do understand that there are some areas that require a bit more work due to pressure, but it seems some go to the extreme!! I give some serious credit to those who hike in 5+ miles solo, kill an animal, and pack it out....all by themselves!! I just feel like there is an easier way! Good luck to all those who prepare for the worst though! I wish nothing but the best (easiest)!!
dont get me wrong, I completely agree with you. You DO NOT HAVE TO BE IN SHAPE TO KILL A ELK!! I understand that. However it sure makes it much more enjoyable. The area I drew this year has very few roads. I applied for the unit because of this. Less access translated into way less people applying and in return I drew my tag. On top of that If it werent for those dang critters I would have no drive to get into better shape. But there are times where the ability to run and cut off an animal may be the difference between killing one and bring home your tag.
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 07:45 PM   #38
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young
 
Bowhuntamistad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Del Rio, Tx / Las Vegas, Nv :)
Default

Please allow me to brag about my "backyard" for a moment...

Unfortunately, I know it's almost impossible to find a place to work out like this in Texas.
Attached Images
 
Bowhuntamistad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 07:57 PM   #39
Shane
Pope & Young
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Abilene, TX
Hunt In: Mismatched camo
Default

You can't simulate altitude. The masks to limit air still aren't the same as actually being at 11,000'. If you work for a living and have other things going on in your life, you can't workout 4-8 hours per day either. If you live in Texas and have a job, you really can't full prepare for a backpack hunt at high elevation. You CAN build strength and endurance through exercise. You CAN lose some weight to make life a little easier. You CAN get comfortable with your boots and pack and gear. All of those things that you can do will make it easier. But you will still feel it when you're at 11,000' with a pack on your back. Just be as fit as you can be when you get there and take care of your feet like your hunt depends on them (it does).
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 07:59 PM   #40
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young
 
SwampRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas
Default

I started my 2018 mountain hunt training about 5 months ago. Started at 5-8 @ 225 with zero cardio. I've had various levels of cardio during my short life. I have raced bicycles and have done long endurance races. But after having had 2 knee surgeries, I do not run.
I remember one time I took a trip to California on business and decided to spend a few days in Yosemite and hiked a bunch of miles and a lot of elevation. It was pretty brutal, but fun. Coming from Houston, I had not done a lot of elevation, but I had walked a ton of miles, so I had a base. I took a trip to Colorado and rode a bike there. The elevation was a challenge, so was the thin air... but hydration is paramount... and I had ridden a ton of miles... so I had a base.

My plan is to get lean... and establish a base. According to my vivofit, I have walked 1700 miles in the past 5 months. I have lost 42lbs and I have done some weight lifting to preserve and increase my upper body mass. On average, I walk 10-12 miles a day, but often walk 15.

I have started doing weight training for my lower body... and strength has come quickly because I have established a base. I now mix it up a little more and add the rowing machine for full body and high heart rate cardio. But the uncomfortable is manageable, because I have put in the miles.

I've listened to others and their best advice has all been the same. The most important thing is your feet. Good boots... boots that are broken in... and feet that are used to the miles. It is hard to replicate the mountains with crossfit, etc. The only thing that counts is the miles.

When I was training for races, a fellow racer who was a top guy in our state once told me that you need to train on less. And a professional racer made a comment that being good is all about making a lot of deposits in the pain bank, so you can make a big withdrawal later. And it isn't always physical... some people can get over the pain and some can't and lift.

So in my mind, it is going to suck. It is going to hurt. I won't be able to train fully for the initial efforts. But what I can do is establish a base. Get my feet used to walking 20+ miles a day (already there.) Build some strength... and push myself to suffer again, so when it hurts on the mountain... and IT WILL HURT... I'll be able to tap into those past 19 months and likely 6,000 miles and say "I suffered then... why not suffer a little more!"

Just to paint a little picture of how sadistic I am... when I wake up in the middle of the night, and my hip flexors are on fire because I walked 30,000 steps AND did 50 thrusters, etc at the gym, I think to myself... this is what it is going to feel like when I wake up on day 2 in the mountains after walking just a few miles.... and I can't wait!!!! I like to suffer for a good hunt. In fact... the difference between a good hunt and a great hunt really boils down to how much suffering and discomfort was involved either during the hunt or leading up to the hunt. I expect some discomfort... I think that is part of the allure.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 08:51 PM   #41
ladrones
Pope & Young
 
ladrones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
Don't get me wrong legs and lungs are important good to be able to climb but something that gets overlooked is getting your feet used to going downhill with weight. You will be in pain if your feet aren't ready. I've been easing into my workouts. 6'2" and down from 210 to 190 since March. Cut out junk sugars and just cleaned the diet a little bit. Plenty of legs and cardio in there as well. I have no mountain hunt this year but getting a jump start on Aug '18 sheep hunt

Made it out this morning with my boots and pack and hit Guadalupe Peak. Easy money going up but my feet got sore coming down on the last mile so they need to toughen up more still. Good news is my boots only had 3 miles of flatland on them before the hike and I had no blisters or bad ]
Your big advantage along with the elevation gains is the rock and sand. Walking up and down that is hard to replicate at a stadium or gym. Just being able to develop those tendons used when stepping on and in rock and sand is a plus.

Take the slaughter canyon trail and the trail in the canyon just to the south. You have several short 4-6 hour trails in that area.
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 09:49 PM   #42
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young
 
JTeLarkin08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aledo
Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
I started my 2018 mountain hunt training about 5 months ago. Started at 5-8 @ 225 with zero cardio. I've had various levels of cardio during my short life. I have raced bicycles and have done long endurance races. But after having had 2 knee surgeries, I do not run.

I remember one time I took a trip to California on business and decided to spend a few days in Yosemite and hiked a bunch of miles and a lot of elevation. It was pretty brutal, but fun. Coming from Houston, I had not done a lot of elevation, but I had walked a ton of miles, so I had a base. I took a trip to Colorado and rode a bike there. The elevation was a challenge, so was the thin air... but hydration is paramount... and I had ridden a ton of miles... so I had a base.



My plan is to get lean... and establish a base. According to my vivofit, I have walked 1700 miles in the past 5 months. I have lost 42lbs and I have done some weight lifting to preserve and increase my upper body mass. On average, I walk 10-12 miles a day, but often walk 15.



I have started doing weight training for my lower body... and strength has come quickly because I have established a base. I now mix it up a little more and add the rowing machine for full body and high heart rate cardio. But the uncomfortable is manageable, because I have put in the miles.



I've listened to others and their best advice has all been the same. The most important thing is your feet. Good boots... boots that are broken in... and feet that are used to the miles. It is hard to replicate the mountains with crossfit, etc. The only thing that counts is the miles.



When I was training for races, a fellow racer who was a top guy in our state once told me that you need to train on less. And a professional racer made a comment that being good is all about making a lot of deposits in the pain bank, so you can make a big withdrawal later. And it isn't always physical... some people can get over the pain and some can't and lift.



So in my mind, it is going to suck. It is going to hurt. I won't be able to train fully for the initial efforts. But what I can do is establish a base. Get my feet used to walking 20+ miles a day (already there.) Build some strength... and push myself to suffer again, so when it hurts on the mountain... and IT WILL HURT... I'll be able to tap into those past 19 months and likely 6,000 miles and say "I suffered then... why not suffer a little more!"



Just to paint a little picture of how sadistic I am... when I wake up in the middle of the night, and my hip flexors are on fire because I walked 30,000 steps AND did 50 thrusters, etc at the gym, I think to myself... this is what it is going to feel like when I wake up on day 2 in the mountains after walking just a few miles.... and I can't wait!!!! I like to suffer for a good hunt. In fact... the difference between a good hunt and a great hunt really boils down to how much suffering and discomfort was involved either during the hunt or leading up to the hunt. I expect some discomfort... I think that is part of the allure.


Me and you would get along great!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 10:16 PM   #43
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrones View Post
Your big advantage along with the elevation gains is the rock and sand. Walking up and down that is hard to replicate at a stadium or gym. Just being able to develop those tendons used when stepping on and in rock and sand is a plus.

Take the slaughter canyon trail and the trail in the canyon just to the south. You have several short 4-6 hour trails in that area.
Cool I'll check them out. My rig is here about 45 minutes away so I'm sure I'll do some any chance I get. I'll be here for quite a while I think too so I should be able to stage it up with my pack weight and really train how I need to. 3000' elevation gain isn't anything to sneeze at with weight that's for sure
bphillips is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 10:20 PM   #44
Grayson
Pope & Young
 
Grayson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: North Texas
Default

Tag. No hunts planned this year but I need to get back on my training schedule.

Does anyone have a weighted vest they would recommend?
Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 10:29 PM   #45
Texans42
Ten Point
 
Texans42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: High plains
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
Tag. No hunts planned this year but I need to get back on my training schedule.

Does anyone have a weighted vest they would recommend?
Yelp called a pack and a sand bag.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 10:30 PM   #46
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
I'm at 225 and have found only two people that can keep up with me.

Also helps I'm in the mountains several times a week .



It does help your body to be lighter, but there are so many other factors to kicking arse in the mountains. Look at guys like the late/great Roy Roth and Cam Hanes, these aren't small guys and they kill it on the mtn.
Your cheating if you are walking up mountains all the time and want to compare /compete with flatlanders
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2017, 10:34 PM   #47
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young
 
JTeLarkin08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aledo
Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress
Default

Here was my workout tonight. 1.23 mile tire drag with a 33" mud tire and 20# weight vest on top of it. Followed by some accessory work. Working on my squat cleans and clean presses. That mile pulling a tire sucked.





This is my home gym I put together this past year. I built the rack with specs off rogues website.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 06:10 AM   #48
Redraider
Ten Point
 
Redraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springtown, Tx
Hunt In: Panhandle, Out of State
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
You can't simulate altitude. The masks to limit air still aren't the same as actually being at 11,000'. If you work for a living and have other things going on in your life, you can't workout 4-8 hours per day either. If you live in Texas and have a job, you really can't full prepare for a backpack hunt at high elevation. You CAN build strength and endurance through exercise. You CAN lose some weight to make life a little easier. You CAN get comfortable with your boots and pack and gear. All of those things that you can do will make it easier. But you will still feel it when you're at 11,000' with a pack on your back. Just be as fit as you can be when you get there and take care of your feet like your hunt depends on them (it does).
You ain't kidding. I always feel like I'm in good shape till I get there. The first day or so my hip flexors hurt and adjustment in breathing. Getting your boots right is huge. I've noticed doing wind sprints and other exercises that allow ur heart rate to ramp up and learn to control it. I try to do something 3 or so times a week. Walk with 40lbs vest and hand weights outside, treadmill on incline, high intensity weight training. Do different things all the time to work on different muscles and heart rate. Try to stay active throughout year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Redraider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 06:38 AM   #49
bwssr
Pope & Young
 
bwssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Madisonville, Texas
Hunt In: Madison county
Default

and jump rope
bwssr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 08:51 AM   #50
Jamesl
Ten Point
 
Jamesl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: League City
Hunt In: Texas, Colorado, New Mexico
Default

Cardio, weight lifting throughout the off season. I will start hitting the bleachers/stairs soon. No hills in Houston that I know of to climb. We will be packing into Colorado for early season elk, then dropping down into New Mexico for a guided hunt. The guided hunt is a breeze compared to the Colorado pack in hunt. I need to get used to the weight of my pack again. I'm 6' 192 now. Looking to drop about 8 to 10 lbs of fat.
Jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com