Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 10-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #101
TMiddleton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

I have heard of them coming into the woods to check a hunter (even on the stand while hunting) to make sure orange is being worn, license and permits are squared away, etc.

In your situation, I believe you were legal. I don't believe you had to have it on, I'm glad you didn't get a ticket.
TMiddleton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2014, 12:01 AM   #102
Sideler
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmastertexas View Post
No weapon but a machete. Got to protect myself from chupacabra's and black planthers. No, he just barged into the woods to find me. Still had his vehicle running when we got out to the road.
He might have a big buck in the area he's trying to protect for himself.
Sideler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #103
buckmastertexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sabine and Newton Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMiddleton View Post
I have heard of them coming into the woods to check a hunter (even on the stand while hunting) to make sure orange is being worn, license and permits are squared away, etc.

In your situation, I believe you were legal. I don't believe you had to have it on, I'm glad you didn't get a ticket.
Well, it was a pretty good size block of woods to wonder around in trying to find someone, to check their orange and license. I never seen game wardens do this. But apparently the forest rangers go by a different code of ethics, none..... no I take that back, since he didn't give a ticket......
buckmastertexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #104
PEC
Ten Point

Hunters orange is required when hunting. They claim it is for safety which it could be if used properly. The book is pretty clear about it being for hunting; not hiking, biking or working. Basically until they make everyone wear it including themselves it is so you can find the hunters IMO. Also not sure a forest ranger can issue you a hunting citation.
PEC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2014, 08:05 AM   #105
TMiddleton
Ten Point

Quote:
Well, it was a pretty good size block of woods to wonder around in trying to find someone, to check their orange and license. I never seen game wardens do this. But apparently the forest rangers go by a different code of ethics, none..... no I take that back, since he didn't give a ticket......
Come hunt the Sam Houston bud, Federal and State Game Wardens walk in on hunters all the time over here.

Last edited by TMiddleton; 10-26-2014 at 08:07 AM..
Old 10-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #106
Txfire409
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation

Quote:
I know that the use of hunter is encouraged and recomended, even for hikers. However, it isn't required when your scouting/hiking.
I dont know about the rest of SNF but in the Moore it says you have to wear orange anytime that firearm hunting is permitted and that would be all year long as you can hunt hogs all year in the Moore.
Txfire409 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #107
TMiddleton
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txfire409 View Post
I dont know about the rest of SNF but in the Moore it says you have to wear orange anytime that firearm hunting is permitted and that would be all year long as you can hunt hogs all year in the Moore.
Yes, if your hunting.
All other recreational users are only encouraged to wear it.

This is straight from the book:
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2014, 09:23 AM   #108
PEC
Ten Point

So what is the purpose if everyone does not have to wear it? To be able to spot hunters not safety!!!!
PEC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #109
trash2
Six Point

Quote:
Not sure why this seems to bother you so much but it's nice to see them doing their jobs. The Sabine is largely lacking enforcement. I'd applaud his efforts rather than slander him. Hopefully he will be removing one of MANY permanent stands found over the past couple of weeks here shortly.
trash2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #110
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trash2 View Post
Not sure why this seems to bother you so much but it's nice to see them doing their jobs. The Sabine is largely lacking enforcement. I'd applaud his efforts rather than slander him. Hopefully he will be removing one of MANY permanent stands found over the past couple of weeks here shortly.
Yep, I love those guys.
Speedgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2014, 09:19 PM   #111
buckmastertexas
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trash2 View Post

So hunter spends a ton of money into a local economy, on gas, food, camps, ect, spends a ton of time learning the public land, finding spots to hunt, ect...

And you think it's quite okay for the forest ranger to barge into the middle of the woods to see who's in the woods and what they are doing?

This is the most ignorant thing I have heard on the green screen in some time.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #112
trash2
Six Point

Glad you know what's important. If you spend enough time out there, you'd appreciate their efforts that place is crawling with local problems. Goodluck and we can agree to disagree but I am glad they're making their presence known. I drive 4hrs most weekends and don't need to be told what it costs in time/$. I imaging you would be very surprised at how many illegal bucks, does and corn piles he finds doing this. Case and point I found 12" 6pt shot this past weekend (cleaned in the wods) and was in your lease.

Last edited by trash2; 10-26-2014 at 09:36 PM..
trash2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2014, 10:01 PM   #113
buckmastertexas
Ten Point

I totally disagree with your statements, since I have been hunting the public lands for 25 years and deal with the games wardens all the time. Of course this is a forest ranger, so they appear to operate differently. I have spent literally thousands of hours on the SNF,25 years of hunting and scouting, and never had the rangers do this.

Most, if not all things found , are from hunters like you and me, reporting it to the authorities. Once they have that information, they do a good job taking from there.

As far as them finding all this stuff themselves, doesn't happen. They don't have the manpower for that. SNF is 160,000 acres.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:58 PM   #114
bayou boy
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: the woods

Hey guy's and girl's. Im Kenny Victoriano. I live in lumberton tx. Work offshore out of Sabine pass. I moved her from a little town south of new Orleans. Anyways i don't know any body in this area to team up with. I only bowhunt and public only. Im looking for someone to hunt with especially when going in deep it's not safe by yourself. Im not looking for anyone's spots or places. Im 30.and ive been hunting public land since i was old enough to go on my own. Thanks.
bayou boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2014, 04:30 AM   #115
TMiddleton
Ten Point

Quote:
Of course this is a forest ranger, so they appear to operate differentl
Just so that I'm understanding completely here. This was a Forest Service employee that wrote you the warning and not a Federal Game Warden?

I'm wondering how does a Forest Service employee have the authority to write tickets?
Old 10-27-2014, 07:48 AM   #116
buckmastertexas
Ten Point

Quote:
Just so that I'm understanding completely here. This was a Forest Service employee that wrote you the warning and not a Federal Game Warden?

I'm wondering how does a Forest Service employee have the authority to write tickets?
He had a gun on his hip, so I think he does! Yeah, his vehicle had "law enforcement" on the side of it.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #117
ElfEyes
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou boy View Post
Hey guy's and girl's. Im Kenny Victoriano. I live in lumberton tx. Work offshore out of Sabine pass. I moved her from a little town south of new Orleans. Anyways i don't know any body in this area to team up with. I only bowhunt and public only. Im looking for someone to hunt with especially when going in deep it's not safe by yourself. Im not looking for anyone's spots or places. Im 30.and ive been hunting public land since i was old enough to go on my own. Thanks.
Bayou boy text me 4 0 9 673 888three
ElfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2014, 10:24 PM   #118
bayou boy
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: the woods

Hey how yall guys doing. Im Kenny Victoriano i live in lumberton tx now. I. Moved here from new Orleans i work offshore out of Sabine pass. Im 30 years old and only hunt public land. I don't know many people in this area and looking for someone to team up with safety wise. Here's my number if anyone interested. 5042341802
bayou boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #119
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Getting close. Saturday and Sunday are supposed to have highs in the 60's. Should be a good weekend!!
Old 10-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #120
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

I can smell the camp fire from Austin!!!! I am giddy and can't wait to be 25' up in my Summit climbing stand.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:07 PM   #121
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Tomorrow!!! Good luck fellas!!
Old 11-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #122
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Cooler filled less than an hour apart

Old 11-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #123
DesertDug
Ten Point

Hunt In: far out west texas & SHNF & Lovelady

very nice speed goat, speedy indeed!
DesertDug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #124
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedgoat View Post
Cooler filled less than an hour apart
Dadgum, dadgum! Look at you! Congratulations!!
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #125
marshman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Newton & Orange County in TX, Carroll County in MS

My son and a buddy of his hunted SNF today, he texted me said they saw about does between them but no bucks. Thier gonna try in the morning before heading home. Not sure what area there in.
marshman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #126
Duckhunter2007
Eight Point

I've never hunted Sabine before and have a camp on toledo. Would love to learn the place and hunt it. Wondering if I could get with someone sometime and show me the ropes of the place. Would be much appreciated.
Duckhunter2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2014, 10:03 PM   #127
marshman
Ten Point

ttt
Old 11-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #128
buckmastertexas
Ten Point

I spotted some sign of a nice buck on SNF, I think the rubs indicate a 4 yr old +. Made a hunt yesterday evening and this morning til 10am. I was hunting a side ditch that headed up in the pines and comes down to a bigger creek bottom. I setup about 40 yds out of the pines.

Yesterday nothing showed, but heard squirrels up in the pines mad at something but nothing came down to the hardwoods,

This morning I was up the tree way before light. As Light barely started cracking, I heard a noise up in the pines for about three seconds and then a couple of sounds of something stepping. I thought something was going to come through, but it got quiet.

As it got a little lighter, a pack of coyotes startes cranking it up for a minute, across the county road.

About 30 minutes after light squirrels started raising cain up in the pines where I heard the pre-dawn noise, for about 5 minutes, but then all was quiet.

I tried some grunting but nothing came.

At about 8:30, a doe and fawn came across the edge of pines to where the side ditch comes out of the pines and they went up into the pines.

At about 9:25 am a fawn came across the side ditch just below me. It had a broke left front leg, at the ankle and was having to hop on the one front leg. Sad to see. I hope the coyotes don't get on her trail.

That was all that showed. I am going to have to figure a new angle on the buck. I think a climber on the edge of the pines right at dark might be the only way to catch him. Tricky rascal.

Last edited by buckmastertexas; 11-19-2014 at 08:29 PM..
Old 11-30-2014, 12:59 AM   #129
marshman
Ten Point

ttt anything new to report?
Old 11-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #130
Chick
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Sabine County

Six Mile Hunting Club (over 6000 acres) borders the Moore Plantation on the SE side of FS 114, and they have had problems with people slipping across their boundary. They are also throwing out corn along their boundary (against the law on Texas WMAs), and then shooting into their property. The Game Wardens have been notified, and they are patrolling the area along FS114 and Ricefield Road.
Chick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #131
Chick
Nubbin' Buck

Yes, there is a Forest Ranger that patrols this area. He also pulls vehicles over on the State Highways and give them speeding tickets. He is a State Law Enforcement Officer, and has the authority.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #132
Chick
Nubbin' Buck

Marshman, I do not have enough posts to answer your PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #133
marshman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick View Post
Marshman, I do not have enough posts to answer your PM.
sending you another pm!
Old 12-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #134
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick View Post
Six Mile Hunting Club (over 6000 acres) borders the Moore Plantation on the SE side of FS 114, and they have had problems with people slipping across their boundary. They are also throwing out corn along their boundary (against the law on Texas WMAs), and then shooting into their property. The Game Wardens have been notified, and they are patrolling the area along FS114 and Ricefield Road.
I have a couple of buds on that club
Old 12-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #135
marshman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedgoat View Post
I have a couple of buds on that club

What have you heard about it from them? Do they like it? Is it a goo club to be in with good people?
Old 12-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #136
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshman View Post
What have you heard about it from them? Do they like it? Is it a goo club to be in with good people?
There are some good deer on it but there are some outlaws that shoot anything. I just hunt the Moore and love it!!!
Old 12-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #137
buckmastertexas
Ten Point

Have all the SNF guys given up? I need a little moral support. Going into the big woods again this weekend.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:59 PM   #138
marshman
Ten Point

Quote:
Have all the SNF guys given up? I need a little moral support. Going into the big woods again this weekend.
Been awefully quiet on here that's for sure.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:21 AM   #139
NF HUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF

Buckmaster hang in there, It ain't over yet. I hunt the SHNF and have seen and taken some good bucks in the late season. Question for SNF hunters, does the rut start around Halloween for yaw?
NF HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2015, 11:24 PM   #140
marshman
Ten Point

one more bump...
Old 01-07-2015, 09:40 PM   #141
marshman
Ten Point

Anyone hunting muzzloader on SNF or the Moore Plantation? I'm thinking of giving it a try this weekend, depending on the weather.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #142
woodsman
Ten Point

Hunt In: . . . the re-public . . . of Texas

Goodluck marshman, wish I was hitting the SNF as well. Had plans to this weekend, but deacon duty called instead. Weather should be cold enough! Hope you load the meat wagon. Let us know how you do.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2015, 10:35 PM   #143
marshman
Ten Point

well who's going the last weekend for one last hunt?
Old 08-02-2015, 04:10 AM   #144
sm000
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Everywhere, Tx.

Anyone putting in some scouting time? I've been twice this month. It sure has grown up since last year.
sm000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2015, 05:59 AM   #145
DCT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tyler County

I'm glad to see this thread. I just got a camp at six mile. Not going to be deer hunting up there but I'll be trying to do some duck hunting around six mile. If any of you see a black F250 with a TBH sticker right above a PSE sticker that's me.
DCT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #146
sm000
Nubbin' Buck

This thread is quiet this year...lol
Old 08-24-2015, 02:43 PM   #147
Chick
Nubbin' Buck

Default Duck hunting on Six Mile

I use to duck hunt a lot on Six Mile, as I have a camp there, as well. It use to really twist my tail when people would go out the night before and put out decoys, thinking that reserved the spot they wanted to hunt, and then sleep in the next morning, coming out right before daylight. This is public property, not a duck lease. I have had to move people's decoys several times, and put mine out. Also explained to these people that this is public property and first come, first served. Some of these screwballs, put out their decoys and just leave them there all season, never picking them up! I personally know of 2 spreads that disappeared off of Six Mile, due to these inconsiderate practices.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #148
sm000
Nubbin' Buck

Don't get me wrong, I like hunting big waters for big ducks... But that is exactly the reason I hunt creeks and sloughs. You have to deal with those kinds of idiots that think that's their spot. I bought a kayak, and now I go places walk in's and boats can't go.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:48 PM   #149
Chick
Nubbin' Buck

Default Six Mile

Hey DCT, what part of Six Mile do you have a camp on?
Old 08-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #150
Chick
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm000 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like hunting big waters for big ducks... But that is exactly the reason I hunt creeks and sloughs. You have to deal with those kinds of idiots that think that's their spot. I bought a kayak, and now I go places walk in's and boats can't go.
There are all kinds of people there. I was putting a trot line in a specific location on Six Mile, and baiting it with perch. I would come back to check it, and find gold fish on the hooks. Some one was running it, and rebaiting it. I had a stainless steel tag, with my name and date on it, so they knew the trot line was not abandoned. I tried for 2 weeks to catch them, and finally just moved the line.