Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-16-2017, 06:31 PM   #1
J. Colwell
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River, Lamar, Delta and The H
Default Echo 58 volt Trimmer

Today I said goodbye to the gas powered Stihl that's gave me so much grief and cost me money over the years. It's been a booger to start but did run good once started. Seems that I've had to work on it almost every time I got ready to use it. I've got an Echo chainsaw and an Echo backpack leaf blower that will start every time within no more than 5 pulls no matter how long they've set.

So today I went to buy a new gas Echo but thought I'd try this battery powered trimmer first. I came home, charged the battery and went to work. This thing will cut like a boss and I weedeated for a good 45 minutes and still had 3 out of 4 lights left on the battery. 5 year warranty, no gas, no oil, no more pulling on the thing. Pop the battery in, pull the trigger and get to work. So far, I'm very impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J. Colwell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 06:46 PM   #2
Tx Trapper
Six Point

Been running mine fairly hard going on my second year and really like it. I also got the edger attachment and really like it also..
Tx Trapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #3
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

I've got an Echo mini tiller, weed eater and a leaf blower. I also had an edger and hedge trimmer when I was mowing yards on the side. Ive put all of them through the ringer and have never had any issues. Ive been thinking when it is time to replace them, I may go the battery powered route as well. It just seems like less maintenance and possibility of problems!
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #4
Abctx
Four Point

When they get that hard to start, eBay is your friend. Try a $10-$15 replacement carb. Issues after that??? Time to go....
Abctx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 08:22 PM   #5
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I went with a battery powered hedge trimmers.
Black and Decker. 20v. They have been great...
My weed eater, is next..
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 08:28 PM   #6
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Rocksprings

I have the 58V Echo Chainsaw. It was just what I needed out of a chainsaw. I would never go back to gas unless I really needed something big
careybirdwell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #7
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria County

I've thought about buying that blower for my Tree Service and keeping a charger in the truck. good to hear some good reviews!
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 10:06 PM   #8
Peta-hata
Ten Point

Hunt In: Delta,Hopkins,Hunt,

Good to hear. I've been debating buying a battery blower.
Peta-hata is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 10:06 PM   #9
texan16
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone/Schleicher Counties

Got my battery powered echo weedeater back in the spring and I love it. Like you said, tons of power and battery life is good. You will love no gas, no pulling string, no ear plugs.
texan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2017, 10:26 PM   #10
TxNurse
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Nolan County

I got one of the EGo 56 volt trimmers on sale for $150, and it has more power than my gas trimmer. Got the extended warranty at Home Depot, so I don't have to worry about batteries going bad for 5 years.
TxNurse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 08:25 AM   #11
Patriot-2000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Texas

I have both as there are advantages and disadvantages. The BIG thing I learned about gas-powered is use the pre-mix fuel ! TOO much Ethanol in gas from a gas station and it will work for the 1st couple of times but after that GUM-Up the carburetor .. and then it's repair time. Unless you can find Ethanol free gas .. Go with the pre-mix..
Patriot-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #12
Rush2Judge
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wood County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxNurse View Post
I got one of the EGo 56 volt trimmers on sale for $150, and it has more power than my gas trimmer. Got the extended warranty at Home Depot, so I don't have to worry about batteries going bad for 5 years.
I have had two of the EGo blowers for about a year (one for the lake and one for the house). On Saturday I bought the hedge trimmer and my wife told me to go ahead and get the weed eater. I put both to the test on Sunday and was really surprised by how well they worked. Especially the hedge trimmer. I will keep my Stihl weed eater for the tough jobs but, I really like the convenience of the battery power. Just grab and go.
Rush2Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 09:08 AM   #13
2014FusionM
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jack county, bailey county

I am really considering going this way after all the problems I have had with my Craftsman 4 stroke weed eater. It has been in the shop longer than I have had time to use it! I would probably go with the DeWalt brand since I already have all their products, chargers, and batteries.
2014FusionM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #14
stickbowcoop
Six Point

Hunt In: Hunting for a place to hunt

I have a Ryobi Li trimmer and it has been great. It is only 18v but I picked it because it's light weight in case my wife has to use it. We only trim around the house, backyard fence, and shed. Not our full 2 acres. So the small size works great for our situation. I only use my push mower for our small fenced in 30x40 back yard, so I may even go battery on that as well. I have a riding mower for the rest of the yard.
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #15
J. Colwell
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbowcoop View Post
I have a Ryobi Li trimmer and it has been great. It is only 18v but I picked it because it's light weight in case my wife has to use it. We only trim around the house, backyard fence, and shed. Not our full 2 acres. So the small size works great for our situation. I only use my push mower for our small fenced in 30x40 back yard, so I may even go battery on that as well. I have a riding mower for the rest of the yard.

I initially bought the 18 volt Ryobi since I have other Ryobi power tools but I took it back. IMO, that thing wouldn't cut diddly squat and even though it was light, it was very awkward to handle which hurt my back. Battery wouldn't stay charged very long and the job took 3 x's longer than it should. This 58 volt Echo is the real deal.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #16
EZ40
Four Point

Hunt In: Runnels County

Does the head swivel for edging?

EZ40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 11:21 AM   #17
J. Colwell
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ40 View Post
Does the head swivel for edging?

No, not on the Echo. You have to buy an attachment but the Ryobi did but just didn't have enough power to do much.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #18
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

I've got the same one. It's the sh*t!
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #19
BigWes
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grimes County

Battery powered tools have come a long way over the last few years. I bought the Kobalt 80V a year ago and haven't looked back. I had the same issues you are having with my Stihl gas powered trimmer. Too much hassle to get it started.
BigWes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 12:12 PM   #20
Chuck Webb
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

I'm with you guys, bout stroked out last week with my Stihl trying to start it. Once its out of the shop I'm selling it and buying a electric 56 volt
Chuck Webb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #21
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion, Webb, counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Colwell View Post
I initially bought the 18 volt Ryobi since I have other Ryobi power tools but I took it back. IMO, that thing wouldn't cut diddly squat and even though it was light, it was very awkward to handle which hurt my back. Battery wouldn't stay charged very long and the job took 3 x's longer than it should. This 58 volt Echo is the real deal.

I have the 40 volt Ryobi and so far it has been great. Lost of power for my needs.
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #22
J. Colwell
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Webb View Post
I'm with you guys, bout stroked out last week with my Stihl trying to start it. Once its out of the shop I'm selling it and buying a electric 56 volt

I hear ya! I was right on the verge of stroking out but saved just enough energy to give the Stihl the powerbomb on the concrete so it was no more fixing and I had to buy a new one. That was the only way I could turn loose of the money bc I was always like, I will work on it and maybe it will straightened out.