Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2017, 08:09 AM   #1
big papa
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: East Texas
Default Which is best

What public hunting area has the best chance of someone getting a deer?
big papa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 08:12 AM   #2
WItoTX
Ten Point
 
WItoTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Wisconsin
Default

Paved roads next to neighborhoods.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
Tejasbacon
Six Point
 
Tejasbacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Default

Any after the rush of hunters during opening day.
I hunt public in December after most hunters have given up.
Tejasbacon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
jbhunting39
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Default

The one you go put your time and effort into scouting and finding them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbhunting39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 09:01 AM   #5
Hunterlo70
Six Point
 
Hunterlo70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: DFW area
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhunting39 View Post
The one you go put your time and effort into scouting and finding them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1
Hunterlo70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 04:10 PM   #6
Texas Grown
Pope & Young
 
Texas Grown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burleson, Texas
Default

I hear Kansas has some pretty good public lands. And Ohio too.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 09:06 PM   #7
big papa
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: East Texas
Default

I'm wondering what Public lands in Texas has the highest deer population?
big papa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2017, 12:10 AM   #8
Texas Grown
Pope & Young
 
Texas Grown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burleson, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
I'm wondering what Public lands in Texas has the highest deer population?
Most likely one of the WMA hunts run by TP&W. Llanno is known as the Whitetail Capital of the world. So you might do a little research around that area to find near by WMAs in that area.
I hunted Llanno back in the early and mid 1980s. Deer were no bigger than my medium sized dog, for the most part. But it was not uncommon to do a deer drive with a few of the fellers, and kick up deer all day long on the 1200 acre ranch we were hunting. It reminded me of hunting rabbits.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2017, 12:12 AM   #9
Texas Grown
Pope & Young
 
Texas Grown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burleson, Texas
Default

Oh, and there's several types of public lands in Texas. They ain't all the same, or have the same rules.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #10
gumbl3
Ten Point
 
gumbl3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: anna
Hunt In: muenster
Default

I'm not trying to be ugly, but it takes a lot of work for people to find their public hunting spots. In my experience most biologists are more than willing to talk to you regarding the area, hunting is part of their management program and they know survey results, etc etc. But if someone comes on a public forum and boasts about a public hunting area being great and grand, they only thing that place will become is over hunted.

I'm in the same boat, I have to do a lot of scouting via the internet, but if you shown you've put some work into looking, and have more specific questions ("Can I walk here from this road"?), etc. People will be willing to help out. Just don't ask for all the work somebody else has put in.
gumbl3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #11
SolocamShooter
Pope & Young
 
SolocamShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lufkin,TX
Hunt In: East TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbl3 View Post
I'm not trying to be ugly, but it takes a lot of work for people to find their public hunting spots. In my experience most biologists are more than willing to talk to you regarding the area, hunting is part of their management program and they know survey results, etc etc. But if someone comes on a public forum and boasts about a public hunting area being great and grand, they only thing that place will become is over hunted.

I'm in the same boat, I have to do a lot of scouting via the internet, but if you shown you've put some work into looking, and have more specific questions ("Can I walk here from this road"?), etc. People will be willing to help out. Just don't ask for all the work somebody else has put in.
Yep this is spot on, if you aren't willing to put your part of the work in nobody else is going to be willing to help you out. Public hunting is a lot of work if you want to be successful.
SolocamShooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #12
forest-hunter
Eight Point
 
forest-hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Austin
Hunt In: SHNF
Default

I would say the Davy Crockett national forest has the highest deer density, but all public lands will have deer, so get out there and start scouting for them.
forest-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com