No announcement yet.

Reckon This One Will Sniff The Gulf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday morning update from Jeff Lindner of HCFCD..

NHC has increased the potential for tropical cyclone formation around the Yucatan over the next 5 days to 50%.

Tropical system possible in the Gulf of Mexico late this weekend/early next week

A complicated pattern will evolve across the western Caribbean Sea and southern Gulf of Mexico this weekend which may give rise to the formation of a tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico by late this weekend or early next week. A tropical wave currently moving through the Caribbean Sea will arrive into the western Caribbean Sea early this weekend while a northward lifting trough off the coast of Panama will interact with this wave. Convection has been increasing over much of the western Caribbean Sea over the last 24 hours and expect a continued increase in thunderstorm develop as these two features interact.

Model agreement from the ECWMF, GFS, CMC, UKMET, and many of the ensemble members show the formation of a very large surface low around the Yucatan over the weekend. While it is certainly possible for such a large surface low to develop into a tropical system, they tend to be very slow in doing so due to the massive size. What tends to be more common is that vorticity centers will rotate around the average low position and can sometimes become the dominate circulation center which can cause a plethora of forecast issues. Overall the organization of such a system takes longer than normal and can remain a disorganized mess. Several Gulf systems have developed this way and the main important feature from a system like this is to spread out the impacts over a wide area.

While the land interaction of the Yucatan will play some role in how this system develops and likely when, the overall model consensus and large size of the system should be able to overcome the interaction with the Yucatan. There is certainly enough support to have some confidence that a tropical depression or tropical storm will be forming in the south/south-central Gulf of Mexico by late this weekend.

The track of any developing tropical system will hinge on the ridge axis across the SW US and how far east that ridge axis may extend into TX. Additionally, the position of the mid and upper level ridge across the southern plains and where/how strong a weakness in this ridge over the W/NW Gulf by early next week. Models have been trending toward a ridge axis further to the north than previously expected along with the formation of an upper level weakness over the western Gulf of Mexico. This would likely help to bring any S/SC Gulf tropical system toward the WNW/NW into the western or northwestern Gulf of Mexico. It should be noted that some of the model guidance brings a stronger system more quickly northward toward the central and eastern US Gulf coast caught in the tail end of a trough over the Great Lakes. This solution appears less likely given the fact that the developing system will likely be disorganized and not as strong as those models are forecasting.

Most confident solution at this time is to bring a tropical depression/tropical storm away from the NW coast of the Yucatan Sun/Mon on a WNW motion and into the SC Gulf of MX Tues/Wed and then into the W Gulf of MX by the end of next week. A large mass of potential tropical storm force winds may cover much of the central Gulf of Mexico by the middle of next week.

Points of Interest:

o Actual formation of the surface center may be key to track…but may not be as important as with other systems…given the very large size
    o Large size of the system will have far reaching impacts
    o Land interaction will complicate development over the weekend
    o Track is still uncertain

Possible TX Impacts:

It is too early to be certain of any impacts along the TX coast given the uncertainty in the track forecast and what shape the system gradually develops into. Following the WNW track coordinated by NHC and WPC overnight into the western Gulf of Mexico middle to late next week would bring some degree of impacts toward the TX coast.

o Seas will likely begin to respond as early as Tuesday especially if the large mass of TS force winds forms across the northern semi-circle of the system
    o As seas increase so may tides as more water is brought toward the coast in larger swells. Additionally winds will back to a more ESE/E direction across the northern Gulf which is a favorable tidal increase direction for the TX coast
    o At some point could see a significant increase in moisture into TX if the center reaches the western Gulf allowing deep ESE flow through the column to transport copious moisture toward the coast.

Impacts, if any, will continue to be defined and clarified over the coming days.

Residents along the Gulf coast should closely monitor the progress of this system. Now is the time to make sure hurricane preparation plans and kits are fully stocked and in place.

Comment

Originally posted by ccbluewater View Post
      Thursday morning update from Jeff Lindner of HCFCD..

NHC has increased the potential for tropical cyclone formation around the Yucatan over the next 5 days to 50%.

Tropical system possible in the Gulf of Mexico late this weekend/early next week

A complicated pattern will evolve across the western Caribbean Sea and southern Gulf of Mexico this weekend which may give rise to the formation of a tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico by late this weekend or early next week. A tropical wave currently moving through the Caribbean Sea will arrive into the western Caribbean Sea early this weekend while a northward lifting trough off the coast of Panama will interact with this wave. Convection has been increasing over much of the western Caribbean Sea over the last 24 hours and expect a continued increase in thunderstorm develop as these two features interact.

Model agreement from the ECWMF, GFS, CMC, UKMET, and many of the ensemble members show the formation of a very large surface low around the Yucatan over the weekend. While it is certainly possible for such a large surface low to develop into a tropical system, they tend to be very slow in doing so due to the massive size. What tends to be more common is that vorticity centers will rotate around the average low position and can sometimes become the dominate circulation center which can cause a plethora of forecast issues. Overall the organization of such a system takes longer than normal and can remain a disorganized mess. Several Gulf systems have developed this way and the main important feature from a system like this is to spread out the impacts over a wide area.

While the land interaction of the Yucatan will play some role in how this system develops and likely when, the overall model consensus and large size of the system should be able to overcome the interaction with the Yucatan. There is certainly enough support to have some confidence that a tropical depression or tropical storm will be forming in the south/south-central Gulf of Mexico by late this weekend.

The track of any developing tropical system will hinge on the ridge axis across the SW US and how far east that ridge axis may extend into TX. Additionally, the position of the mid and upper level ridge across the southern plains and where/how strong a weakness in this ridge over the W/NW Gulf by early next week. Models have been trending toward a ridge axis further to the north than previously expected along with the formation of an upper level weakness over the western Gulf of Mexico. This would likely help to bring any S/SC Gulf tropical system toward the WNW/NW into the western or northwestern Gulf of Mexico. It should be noted that some of the model guidance brings a stronger system more quickly northward toward the central and eastern US Gulf coast caught in the tail end of a trough over the Great Lakes. This solution appears less likely given the fact that the developing system will likely be disorganized and not as strong as those models are forecasting.

Most confident solution at this time is to bring a tropical depression/tropical storm away from the NW coast of the Yucatan Sun/Mon on a WNW motion and into the SC Gulf of MX Tues/Wed and then into the W Gulf of MX by the end of next week. A large mass of potential tropical storm force winds may cover much of the central Gulf of Mexico by the middle of next week.

Points of Interest:

o Actual formation of the surface center may be key to track…but may not be as important as with other systems…given the very large size
      o Large size of the system will have far reaching impacts
      o Land interaction will complicate development over the weekend
      o Track is still uncertain

Possible TX Impacts:

It is too early to be certain of any impacts along the TX coast given the uncertainty in the track forecast and what shape the system gradually develops into. Following the WNW track coordinated by NHC and WPC overnight into the western Gulf of Mexico middle to late next week would bring some degree of impacts toward the TX coast.

o Seas will likely begin to respond as early as Tuesday especially if the large mass of TS force winds forms across the northern semi-circle of the system
      o As seas increase so may tides as more water is brought toward the coast in larger swells. Additionally winds will back to a more ESE/E direction across the northern Gulf which is a favorable tidal increase direction for the TX coast
      o At some point could see a significant increase in moisture into TX if the center reaches the western Gulf allowing deep ESE flow through the column to transport copious moisture toward the coast.

Impacts, if any, will continue to be defined and clarified over the coming days.

Residents along the Gulf coast should closely monitor the progress of this system. Now is the time to make sure hurricane preparation plans and kits are fully stocked and in place.
      Where do you find this update at?

Comment

Originally posted by Whitetail83 View Post
        Where do you find this update at?
        Runforyourlivesweareallfugged.com

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          LOL! This is an email update sent out by Jeff Lindner, and I pulled it off another weather site where it gets posted regularly. Really good information.

Comment

Id bet on a weak system into norther Mexico or south Tx but IF it gets lifted it could run across towards Florida as a tighter wound, stronger system IF it isnt torn apart or weakened by shear. I tend to go with the Euro model as it seems to be right more often than not. However, it is something to keep an eye on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm not concerned until Johnny speaks!

Comment

Ha!

Comment

Comment

5 Day Outlook

Originally posted by NHC
                    Tropical Weather Outlook
                    NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
                    800 AM EDT Fri Jun 16 2017

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

1. Cloudiness and showers associated with a tropical wave located
                    several hundred miles southwest of the Cabo Verde Islands have
                    become better organized since yesterday. Additional slow
                    development is possible during the next few days while the wave
                    moves westward at 15-20 mph over the tropical Atlantic.
                    * Formation chance through 48 hours...low...20 percent.
                    * Formation chance through 5 days...medium...40 percent.

2. A broad area of low pressure is expected to form over the
                    northwestern Caribbean Sea and the Yucatan peninsula during the
                    next day or two. Conditions appear to be favorable for gradual
                    development of this system while it moves slowly northwestward
                    into the southern Gulf of Mexico early next week.
                    * Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
                    * Formation chance through 5 days...medium...60 percent.

Comment

From TDEM...

An area of disturbed weather associated with a tropical wave is located well south-southwest of the Cabo Verde Islands. Some gradual development of this system is possible during the next few days while the wave moves westward at 20 mph over the low-latitude tropical Atlantic.
                      Formation change through 48 hours is 20%
                      Formation chance through 5 days is 40%

An area of low pressure is expected to form over the NW Caribbean Sea and the adjacent Yucatan Peninsula by the weekend. Conditions appear to be favorable for some development of this system while it moves slowly NW towards the southern Gulf of Mexico by early next week.
                      Formation change through 48 hours is 0%
                      Formation chance through 5 days is 60%

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
                        I'm not concerned until Johnny speaks!
                        Bonesplitter is plenty reliable enough, especially when it comes to tropical systems

Comment

I don't know about y'all but I could use a good t u r d floater at my house, I'm tires of eating dust when I mow.

Comment

Until a surface Low is established, I am not buying any of the solutions as solid. This is going to be such a large mess of storms that its going to take a long time to get going. It should get tagged as an Invest today or tomorrow probably, and then some more Dynamic models will be ran. By Sunday evening there should be a lot better idea of what this may, or may not become.

I hope a weak, disorganized mess comes into S TX and blesses a large portion of the state with some much needed rain.. I know my yard could use it in Cypress, and lease in Freer is always needing rain!

Comment

Originally posted by ccbluewater View Post
                              Until a surface Low is established, I am not buying any of the solutions as solid. This is going to be such a large mess of storms that its going to take a long time to get going. It should get tagged as an Invest today or tomorrow probably, and then some more Dynamic models will be ran. By Sunday evening there should be a lot better idea of what this may, or may not become.

I hope a weak, disorganized mess comes into S TX and blesses a large portion of the state with some much needed rain.. I know my yard could use it in Cypress, and lease in Freer is always needing rain!
                              We have been getting rain up in Walker County every week it seems. Really moist for this time of year. Almost cant mow or cut hay at times. And i hope it stays this way. Would much rather the ground be wet than be eating dust every time i go outside.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                                I'll be in Tulum all next week. It would be appropriate for a storm to develop in the Yucatan!

I feel you. I'll be close to there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X