Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-11-2017, 08:20 PM   #1
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Apparently where the deer ARE NOT
Default Back to square one

So, I took my bow to a "Bow Shop" to have them put it on their Hooter Shooter and give it a "proper, professional" tune. So when I picked it up, I asked the guy how far off was it? He says, we had to adjust it quite a bit. To which I replied, really? So upon further conversation I said, I am going to start broadhead tuning my bow bc hunting season is right around the corner and just to be sure, I move my rest OPPOSITE of where my arrow hits correct? IE if I'm hitting left move my rest right and if I'm hitting low move my rest up. He says, we moved your rest so much that if you mess with it, you could mess it up all over again. Are you freaking kidding me, he really said that. He says just move your sight, I said no, I want my bh's and fp's to really hit fairly close, he says, you don't need that. So whatever. I come home and put a bh on one of my arrows. At 20yds I was 2" low and 6" left. So ok, follow the arrow game with my sight. So now, I have moved my sight so far left that when I get to full draw I get a pretty good view of my riser. Highly frustrated. I knew I should have moved my rest. So now I get to start the whole process all over again. Put my fp's back on, re sight in to where I was, then put my bh's and then I'm moving my rest. I know where I'm not taking my bow anymore. Just thought I'd trust a bow shop. That's what I get.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
MONSTERKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #2
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

A Hooter Shooter might be good for some, but do you put the same torque or lack thereof as the Hooter Shooter, same pressure as the Hooter Shooter with your hand? Just saying, tune it yourself. It is possible to shoot FP's and BH's the same.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #3
stickbowcoop
Eight Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

Any shop that tells you to just move your sight when broadhead tuning is a shop I would avoid at all costs. It's a wonder they didn't just tell you to shoot mechanicals .
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 09:06 PM   #4
LivinADream
Ten Point

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

im not sure what shop you used, but I see you're far enough from me that im positive I wont end up there.
ive got no words for ya.
LivinADream is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 09:23 PM   #5
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

lol, they also told me to get a wrist sling on my bow, bc I torque my bow when I shoot. I said really, when I shoot my bow, my fingers do not touch the grip at all. The grip is nestled in between my thumb and pointer finger, open handed. I release the arrow and my bow sits in my hand long enough that i can hang on to my bow so it doesnt fall to the ground. He says oh, ok then. I am well aware that fp's can hit where bh's do, so that is my goal in the next week or so. Its going to be a little bit of a challenge as I shoot really big 180gr 2 blade Simmons Treesharks. I am really trying to learn how to tune my own bow, i was always kinda paranoid as its a dual cam bow and I dont want to end up with my cams out of sync, but I am determined to do it.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:28 PM   #6
ajcarricktx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fort hood, any were else I can access

Man sorry to hear about the bogus tune. I'm not sure where your at but I know some good shops and bowtechs to help you tune if you want. I'd have it checked just to make sure your cams are still timed properly. There is no telling what that idiot did to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ajcarricktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 09:32 PM   #7
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

NEVER return to that shop.

NEVER ask someone else to tune YOUR bow. Especially if,you have said bow stacking field tips and BH's into the same POI.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #8
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

From the sounds of it, you may need to have the cams or limbs checked for any twisting or torsion. First thing I'd do is center the rest and leave it there. Then draw back to see where your sights are. That may lead you in the direction you need to go.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 10:49 PM   #9
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

I would not go back
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 11:03 PM   #10
kmon
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly

I would not go back to that location. Not sure where it was and if I knew which shop was used in that post would ensure I would never take my bow to it.

I am not sure I trust any shops fully and tune my own bows. Good old paper tune, bare shaft and walk back seems to get me shooting field tips and broadheads hitting the same place or very close to it.
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 11:29 PM   #11
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

I had a similar experience this past weekend turns out my cam needed a little shim, one bow shop said my bow was untunable the other fixed it no problem now I'm stacking 2 different broadheads and field points at 60 yards.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 11:50 PM   #12
frobow
Spike

Hunt In: Texas

Oh no you are near me
frobow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 11:55 PM   #13
Hocks & horns
Six Point

I agree with your bow shop. I paper tune my bow with field points and tune my broadhead. I would not move my rest that will throw the tune of your bow off. A good tuned bow and good tuned broadhead will shoot the same as field points, unless you shoot cheap junk broadhead. Otherwise move the sight to match broadhead.
Hocks & horns is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 07:41 AM   #14
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

What shop?
Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 07:48 AM   #15
hammer63
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney Co.TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocks & horns View Post
I agree with your bow shop. I paper tune my bow with field points and tune my broadhead. I would not move my rest that will throw the tune of your bow off. A good tuned bow and good tuned broadhead will shoot the same as field points, unless you shoot cheap junk broadhead. Otherwise move the sight to match broadhead.
Uh ohhhhh............
hammer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #16
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:

Last sentence makes my head explode! Terrible advice.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #17
Hocks & horns
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Last sentence makes my head explode! Terrible advice.
I'll get you a bandaid.
If he's shooting 180g treesharks they probably aren't going to shoot like field points, so he'll have to sight in for broadhead. But I wouldn't change a tuned bow.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #18
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

Here's the kicker. I shoot left-handed. So, I had to move my sight so much to the left that I am literally out of adjustment. When I get to full draw and look through my peep. I see my riser covering the left quarter of my sight housing. I can still see my pins, but I do not like seeing my riser in the picture. No good my friends.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:44 AM   #19
Hocks & horns
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTERKEN View Post
Here's the kicker. I shoot left-handed. So, I had to move my sight so much to the left that I am literally out of adjustment. When I get to full draw and look through my peep. I see my riser covering the left quarter of my sight housing. I can still see my pins, but I do not like seeing my riser in the picture. No good my friends.

I'd agree, but I would change broadhead. Moving your rest that's tuned ain't the answer in my opinion. If your arrow is leaving the bow clean with field points don't move the rest because it's not the bow. If your shooting a rifle and 1 load is hitting bullseye and you want to change loads and that load is shooting 6" left you don't bend the barrel, you adjust the scope. Don't change a tuned bow and a bow shop can't tune a bow perfect for you. You must shoot the bow and adjust for the way you hold. Shoot the bow through paper at the shop and set the bow for you.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #20
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'd agree, but I would change broadhead. Moving your rest that's tuned ain't the answer in my opinion. If your arrow is leaving the bow clean with field points don't move the rest because it's not the bow. If your shooting a rifle and 1 load is hitting bullseye and you want to change loads and that load is shooting 6" left you don't bend the barrel, you adjust the scope. Don't change a tuned bow and a bow shop can't tune a bow perfect for you. You must shoot the bow and adjust for the way you hold. Shoot the bow through paper at the shop and set the bow for you.

With what he has going on it is obvious his rest is not tuned
Old 09-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #21
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Hope you get your bow tuned back the way it needs to be. Not sure what h&h is talking about, but a properly tuned bow will not need any sight adjustment from fp to bh. My bow will shoot fp and about 5 different types of bh's from mechanical to, fixed 2 blade, 3 blade and even 4 blade heads all pretty dang close to same poi out to 50 yards. And whatever you do, NEVER go back to that shop.
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #22
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Green Screen

[quote=bboswell;12723849]Last sentence makes my head explode! Terrible advice.[/QUOTE]

YES!!!!! Yes it is

BRING BACK THE EQUIPMENT & TUNING SECTION for the love of GOD!
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #23
Traildust
Pope & Young

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=656195

https://eastonarchery.com/download/C...ning_Guide.pdf

Last edited by Traildust; 09-12-2017 at 12:42 PM..
Old 09-12-2017, 01:12 PM   #24
Hocks & horns
Six Point

If he's shooting bullet holes through paper his rest is tuned.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #25
bboswell
Pope & Young

If you get the correct distance from the paper you will get a bullet holes in paper and still be way out of tune.

Paper is the beginning, not the end.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #26
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

After I had my bow properly tuned, shooting bullets through paper I still had some slight broadhead tuning. My BHs were shooting just left of fp at 20 yards and about 6-8" left at 50. With a slight rest adjustment I can now stack fp,viper trick, and grim reaper carni 4 at 60 yards.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #27
Hocks & horns
Six Point

Quote:
If you get the correct distance from the paper you will get a bullet holes in paper and still be way out of tune.

Paper is the beginning, not the end.
So your saying every broadhead shoots the same?
Old 09-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #28
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
So your saying every broadhead shoots the same?
You paper tuning with broad heads?

He's saying you can get a bullet hole in the paper with it being out of tune. Very true.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #29
muddyfuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina County, Limpopo SA

Quote:
I'll get you a bandaid.
If he's shooting 180g treesharks they probably aren't going to shoot like field points, so he'll have to sight in for broadhead. But I wouldn't change a tuned bow.
Not true at all, at all. I personally shot the heads Kenny has, so I'm pretty familiar about how they fly....... like as I took them to Africa and shot stuff with them......literally the same exact heads. I'm shooting the Tiger Shark this year which has even more of a footprint with no issues. Kenny has plenty of fletching and gets extra help from the 19% EFOC he runs on his set-up.
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 10:12 PM   #30
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

Here's how far left they moved my rest.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:24 AM   #31
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Wow. That seems WAY off. My rest have never been just too far off center. Hope you can get it figured out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #32
Traildust
Pope & Young

French tune it, then BH tune it. Save the paper for wiping your arse!
If you have another shop you trust, let them check it out to make sure it's in spec first.

Last edited by Traildust; 09-13-2017 at 07:16 AM..
Old 09-13-2017, 07:57 AM   #33
Pistol
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Outside

I trust On Target Archery in Canton to tune all of my bows.

Hooter Shooters are a waste of money IMO. They don't account for how YOU hold the bow. The pro shop should set it up close to good, and then have you shoot it, so they can account for your grip and style of shooting. One FP are properly tuned for you, BH tuning should only require minor adjustments.

I'm sorry this happened to you. But you have plenty of time to get it right and practice before the season starts. I do have one question. When was the last time you changed your string/cables?
Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #34
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:

Sure looks like you've had a ton of fletching contact on the rest????? You can see marks on the housing and launch pad

80# bow?
Old 09-13-2017, 01:20 PM   #35
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

Quote:
With what he has going on it is obvious his rest is not tuned
Quote:

Man that is messed up. There is no way that rest is supposed to be that far left.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #36
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol View Post
I trust On Target Archery in Canton to tune all of my bows.

Hooter Shooters are a waste of money IMO. They don't account for how YOU hold the bow. The pro shop should set it up close to good, and then have you shoot it, so they can account for your grip and style of shooting. One FP are properly tuned for you, BH tuning should only require minor adjustments.

I'm sorry this happened to you. But you have plenty of time to get it right and practice before the season starts. I do have one question. When was the last time you changed your string/cables?
Strings and cables are brand new

Old 09-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #37
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Sure looks like you've had a ton of fletching contact on the rest????? You can see marks on the housing and launch pad

80# bow?
70lb. But, with the new strings and cables (and I called Mathews directly for specs) my ata came up about 1/4" shy of factory specs thus giving me about 75lb dw. So I had to back her down some.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:02 PM   #38
bboswell
Pope & Young

Quote:
70lb. But, with the new strings and cables (and I called Mathews directly for specs) my ata came up about 1/4" shy of factory specs thus giving me about 75lb dw. So I had to back her down some.

So ATA is 1/4" short? Where is beace as compared to spec?
Old 09-13-2017, 05:03 PM   #39
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

Well crap!! Guess who has bent cam, that's right, this guy!

Old 09-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #40
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Better go back to that shop and see what they have to say if you think they did it.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:33 PM   #41
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURTONboy View Post
Better go back to that shop and see what they have to say if you think they did it.

They will deny it. I'm done with them.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #42
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

I'm getting frustrated. This archery thing is starting to wear me out.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #43
Hardware
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Western US & Argentina

I've tuned many a Mathews bow and that ain't right!!! I would find another shop that can help or learn to tune yourself but you'll need a press to fix your current issues.
Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 05:58 PM   #44
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Man that sucks. I would go back and have words at the very least. And if youre positive they did it put theyre name out there so nobody else gets this same treatment. Dont give up on bowhunting, this is just a stepping stone to make you learn the ins and outs of it all. This will be a big learning experience.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:07 PM   #45
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

I can't prove they did it. So having words with them will be like kicking a dead horse. I am trying to learn to tune myself, lots of vids on YouTube, and lots of talks with people I know and trust that have been in archery for a very long time. I practice on my backup bow, so that'll be getting some range time in here real quick. Gotta hose it down and clean the dust and cobwebs off. Lol

Old 09-13-2017, 06:16 PM   #46
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

Outdoor Pro Shop is Garland is going to hook a brother up. Already ordered a new cam, and they will correct what the other shop couldn't do. This is going to be the longest 2 weeks of my life. That's how long it'll take to get a new cam. They said they would do what they can to get it here sooner.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:29 PM   #47
agtex42
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason & Washington County

Glad to hear it! I read the whole thread and the centershot raised a red flag for me that there's something mechanical going on elsewhere. How heavy are your field tips? Probably goes without saving, but if you're trying to get the treesharks to fly true it's worth mentioning that you need to be shooting the same weight field tips during the tuning process.
agtex42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 06:49 PM   #48
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

Quote:
Outdoor Pro Shop is Garland is going to hook a brother up. Already ordered a new cam, and they will correct what the other shop couldn't do. This is going to be the longest 2 weeks of my life. That's how long it'll take to get a new cam. They said they would do what they can to get it here sooner.

Be sure they know the cable was too short. They should be able to untwist it some to get it to spec when they re-install it. Unless it was built too short in which case I would contact your string maker and get him to make you a new one while you are waiting for a cam.
adam_p is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top