Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-12-2017, 06:21 AM   #51
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

Sounds like you guys didnt use enough malt vinager on your fish.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 06:32 AM   #52
TBoat10
Six Point

Hunt In: Wilco

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
Haters gonna hate. I could care less about a twinkie, but you give me some LJS chicken or fish and I'll be good to go. Sorry about all your sissy stomachs. Ask your wife for some Midol.
TBoat10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 06:36 AM   #53
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

No thanks
Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 06:42 AM   #54
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Last time I ate that nasty stuff was 15 years or so ago. Felt like I had been kicked in the guts by a mule for 2 days.

Don't care if I ever eat LJS again
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 06:42 AM   #55
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Does this deal apply to the family meals? My granddaughter has a tougher stomach than you bunch of wimps!
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 08:13 AM   #56
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #57
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Growse.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 08:59 AM   #58
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

It's fish, not a bird.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:36 AM   #59
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

Everything being said here is why I dont go to Popeyes or Hooters.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #60
CaptainDave
Ten Point

I get the craving about once every other year or so.

No question, it's a Friday night, to-go order to eat at home. I would never eat that stuff for lunch, as it's mandatory to have a toilet nearby within the hour.

Just weird though. It's one of those things you end up craving, then after you eat it, you wonder why??
CaptainDave is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #61
bdog14
Ten Point

Only time I ever got salmonella poisoning was from Long Johns. Felt like I was going to die. Ruined a paid hunting weekend. First and last time I ate there...
bdog14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #62
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
Last time I ate that nasty stuff was 15 years or so ago. Felt like I had been kicked in the guts by a mule for 2 days.

Don't care if I ever eat LJS again
Same here. I had a friend end up in the hospital after eating there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
Does this deal apply to the family meals? My granddaughter has a tougher stomach than you bunch of wimps!
I had super runny undercooked sunny side up eggs yesterday. Man they were tasty.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #63
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Same here. I had a friend end up in the hospital after eating there

I had super runny undercooked sunny side up eggs yesterday. Man they were tasty.
Y'all can eat UNCOOKED eggs, but can't handle LJS's?
Old 09-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #64
EliteDriver
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County

LJS makes me quiver....not in a good way!!!
EliteDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #65
daniel044
Six Point

Hunt In: Sonora, TX

Looks fried in the same batter as they use for fish.

Yummy! NOT!
Attached Images

daniel044 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #66
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel044 View Post
Looks fried in the same batter as they use for fish.

Yummy! NOT!
Oh it's happening sweetheart! I'm thinkin tomorrows dinner.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #67
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over

I like how the dining area floor is covered with grease! I'm suprised more people don't slip and fall in that place! There and Captain D's both! The need a dining area mop bucket and a greasy kitchen floor mop bucket! You can stand in line and your feet are sliding out from under you!
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #68
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
I like how the dining area floor is covered with grease! I'm suprised more people don't slip and fall in that place! There and Captain D's both! The need a dining area mop bucket and a greasy kitchen floor mop bucket! You can stand in line and your feet are sliding out from under you!
Some Captain D's have all you can eat catfish hushpuppies fries coleslaw and it's actually pretty good

We need to break Goldeneagle of his fear of runny eggs. Nobody likes overcooked, sulphury eggs
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #69
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

Last time was in college probably close to twenty years ago. Within a couple hours I was in the fetal position on my bathroom floor hoping it would just hurry up and kill me.

The list of things I wont eat is pretty short:

LJS
Chili's
Salt Grass Steakhouse
Cottage cheese
Animal brains or intestine

Last edited by JeffJ; 09-12-2017 at 11:12 AM..
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #70
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243 WSSM View Post
Some Captain D's have all you can eat catfish hushpuppies fries coleslaw and it's actually pretty good

We need to break Goldeneagle of his fear of runny eggs. Nobody likes overcooked, sulphury eggs
Scramble them suckers till they bounce!
Old 09-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #71
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over

Quote:
Scramble them suckers till they bounce!

No way!!! Sunny side up or over easy mixed in with my scattered and smothered hashbrowns!!!
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #72
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
No way!!! Sunny side up or over easy mixed in with my scattered and smothered hashbrowns!!!
Barf!
Old 09-12-2017, 11:48 AM   #73
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac5dawg View Post
I feel dirty when I go into LJS and try to hide my face from everyone, but once a year I subject my body to a heavy dose of fried flavorful fillets. When I leave there, the deep guilt sets in and 10 minutes later the release cleanse kicks in and it's all better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Bingo, been like that for years somehow the craving comes once a year, every year
ultralite09 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #74
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Y'all can eat UNCOOKED eggs, but can't handle LJS's?
All joking aside I've heard more people getting seriously ill from LJS than all other fast food combined.

Just keep eating there. You will join the "never again" crowd sooner or later. And when you're 10x worse off on your knees holding the porcelain god versus being drunk you will remember this thread.

I actually liked the food considering it's fast fish. Can't risk it though. It's not opinion good/bad when people get sick.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #75
duckmanep
Ten Point

In for pics of someone eating one of these twinkees with a report of how good or bad it is.
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 01:21 PM   #76
duckmanep
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
Walmart chicken is AWESOME!!!!!!
Their General Tso's chicken is top notch.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #77
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
All joking aside I've heard more people getting seriously ill from LJS than all other fast food combined.

Just keep eating there. You will join the "never again" crowd sooner or later. And when you're 10x worse off on your knees holding the porcelain god versus being drunk you will remember this thread.

I actually liked the food considering it's fast fish. Can't risk it though. It's not opinion good/bad when people get sick.
I've only got sick one time in my life from food. Back in the early 90's a fish sammich from McDonalds got me. I'm pretty sure it was the tarter sauce and not the fish. I've been eating LJS since the 70's and it has never bothered me.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:21 PM   #78
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Long John Silvers deal alert

No Nancy gut here.

I ate my fair share of LJS back in the day. Loved the battered chicken, clam strips and cocktail red sauce. Fish was OK too but I preferred the chicken. Been 8 ish years since they closed the one in Denton IIRC and I don't search them out. I agree about everything in the dining area seemingly having a layer of grease on it, but hell I've sat in worse to eat lips and a-holes hotdogs...

Always cracks me up to hear the guys who say "I ate this or that and I was in the bathroom in 15-30 minutes." Hell it takes 6-8 hours to digest food. You need to look at the meal before LJS or Taco Bell before you start blaming your bubble gut on the most recent meal.... "and now you know the rest of the story..".

Last edited by Smart; 09-12-2017 at 06:25 PM..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 07:18 PM   #79
thorthunder
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

Thought Smart's post was wrong so I looked it up:

Norovirus, often called stomach flu, is behind more than half of the foodborne illnesses in the U.S. where the cause is known. Norovirus can sicken you not only through eating contaminated foods, but also through touching doorknobs and other surfaces or having contact with an infected person. You should wipe down the kitchen if someone in your house has it. It typically takes 12-48 hours before you feel sick. Your symptoms may last 1-3 days.
• Salmonella is the name of a group of bacteria. They grow in undercooked eggs and meat. But you can also get salmonella from unpasteurized milk or cheese. Some fruits and vegetables, such as melons or sprouts, can also cause it. Symptoms start within 1-3 days and can last up to a week.
• Clostridium perfringens are bacteria that are more likely to show up when foods are prepared in bulk, such as in cafeterias or nursing homes or for catered events. Cooking kills the bacteria but not its spores. So food left warming can grow new germs. You can get it from beef, chicken, or gravy. You may have cramps and diarrhea but no other symptoms. You get sick within 6-24 hours and are usually feeling better in a couple of days.
• Campylobacter comes from undercooked poultry, unpasteurized milk, and sometimes water. It may take 2-5 days to develop symptoms you can notice. But you should feel better in another 2-10 days. You can't pass it to anyone. But if it's serious, you might have bloody diarrhea.
thorthunder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #80
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
I've only got sick one time in my life from food. Back in the early 90's a fish sammich from McDonalds got me. I'm pretty sure it was the tarter sauce and not the fish. I've been eating LJS since the 70's and it has never bothered me.
And do you still eat MD's tarter sauce?

I've only been really sick once from food and it was LJS shortly after my buddy got sick there. So it's easy to avoid.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #81
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorthunder View Post
Thought Smart's post was wrong so I looked it up:

Norovirus, often called stomach flu, is behind more than half of the foodborne illnesses in the U.S. where the cause is known. Norovirus can sicken you not only through eating contaminated foods, but also through touching doorknobs and other surfaces or having contact with an infected person. You should wipe down the kitchen if someone in your house has it. It typically takes 12-48 hours before you feel sick. Your symptoms may last 1-3 days.
Salmonella is the name of a group of bacteria. They grow in undercooked eggs and meat. But you can also get salmonella from unpasteurized milk or cheese. Some fruits and vegetables, such as melons or sprouts, can also cause it. Symptoms start within 1-3 days and can last up to a week.
Clostridium perfringens are bacteria that are more likely to show up when foods are prepared in bulk, such as in cafeterias or nursing homes or for catered events. Cooking kills the bacteria but not its spores. So food left warming can grow new germs. You can get it from beef, chicken, or gravy. You may have cramps and diarrhea but no other symptoms. You get sick within 6-24 hours and are usually feeling better in a couple of days.
Campylobacter comes from undercooked poultry, unpasteurized milk, and sometimes water. It may take 2-5 days to develop symptoms you can notice. But you should feel better in another 2-10 days. You can't pass it to anyone. But if it's serious, you might have bloody diarrhea.

There it is folks....
Old 09-13-2017, 05:26 AM   #82
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
And do you still eat MD's tarter sauce?

I've only been really sick once from food and it was LJS shortly after my buddy got sick there. So it's easy to avoid.
I haven't eatin tarter sauce at all since then. If anything has mayo in it and I'm not sure how cold it has been kept, I don't eat it.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:45 AM   #83
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
No Nancy gut here.

I ate my fair share of LJS back in the day. Loved the battered chicken, clam strips and cocktail red sauce. Fish was OK too but I preferred the chicken. Been 8 ish years since they closed the one in Denton IIRC and I don't search them out. I agree about everything in the dining area seemingly having a layer of grease on it, but hell I've sat in worse to eat lips and a-holes hotdogs...

Always cracks me up to hear the guys who say "I ate this or that and I was in the bathroom in 15-30 minutes." Hell it takes 6-8 hours to digest food. You need to look at the meal before LJS or Taco Bell before you start blaming your bubble gut on the most recent meal.... "and now you know the rest of the story..".
There are things that for other reasons than digestion, will pretty much go right through you. Ask folks that have had their gall bladder removed. They usually have to be near a rest room when they eat. If mayo isn't kept cold, it will get me in less than an hour. We used to live 1/2 mile from Pancho's Mexican "food". After eating, it would be a race to the toilets by time we got home. It may not actually be the food you just ate, but some stuff seem's to trigger it rather quickly.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:15 AM   #84
Smart
Pope & Young

Default Long John Silvers deal alert

Quote:
There are things that for other reasons than digestion, will pretty much go right through you. Ask folks that have had their gall bladder removed. They usually have to be near a rest room when they eat. If mayo isn't kept cold, it will get me in less than an hour. We used to live 1/2 mile from Pancho's Mexican "food". After eating, it would be a race to the toilets by time we got home. It may not actually be the food you just ate, but some stuff seem's to trigger it rather quickly.

Yeah yeah.... it's all in your head.

It's certainly not the food you just ate leaving in a rush for the toilet. It's impossible to process it into waste that fast. Eating in general can trigger dumps..but it's not the quality of food that does it and it doesn't "go right through you". It's just your body's natural release functions of the stomach telling your colon to make room or empty because another round is coming....see the gastrocolic reflex. It's perfectly normal.

Last edited by Smart; 09-13-2017 at 06:23 AM..
Old 09-13-2017, 06:27 AM   #85
Ten Point

Hunt In: Williamson,Coryell, Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
Sounds like you guys didnt use enough malt vinager on your fish.
absolutely correct, the malt vinegar is the critical component that makes it safe to eat.
10132297 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 06:43 AM   #86
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Yeah yeah.... it's all in your head.

It's certainly not the food you just ate leaving in a rush for the toilet. It's impossible to process it into waste that fast. Eating in general can trigger dumps..but it's not the quality of food that does it and it doesn't "go right through you". It's just your body's natural release functions of the stomach telling your colon to make room or empty because another round is coming....see the gastrocolic reflex. It's perfectly normal.
Yeah, yeah , yeah. Blah, blah blah. Back to the fried twinkies! I was hoping to try it out tonight, but we're having dinner at the neighbors house. I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:35 AM   #87
Loanman
Spike

Hunt In: Turkey Tx

Haven't been in 10 years, maybe its time!
Loanman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 07:47 AM   #88
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

A LJS/squirts debate. Now that is impressive.
myway is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #89
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Everyone drink a cup of warm grease for lunch. We will see how fast it all comes out.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:41 AM   #90
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Everyone drink a cup of warm grease for lunch. We will see how fast it all comes out.
I'll guarantee you it doesn't take 8-12 hours for Pancho's Mexican food to leave your body.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #91
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Plenty of reading on this subject. Basically bad food can come out in about an hour.

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/..._hours_why_do/
Old 09-13-2017, 08:45 AM   #92
duckmanep
Ten Point

still no live twinkee eating in this thread.... I'm disappointed.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #93
Smart
Pope & Young

Reddit-pedia. Awesome source . They have awesome reading on you favorite dude Bigfoot while you are at it .
Old 09-19-2017, 06:59 AM   #94
bdog14
Ten Point

Why risk it? Again, I ate there one time and was blasting water from both ends for 3 straight days! I thought I was going to die. Caveat emptor!!!
bdog14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #95
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
still no live twinkee eating in this thread.... I'm disappointed.
Last Thursday. Your welcome.

Name:  0914171645-00.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  26.6 KB