Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-13-2017, 07:15 AM   #1
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin
Default Purchase Colorado Land

For you folks who have, or are in the process of purchasing land in Colorado, how did you go about finding your property? Our goal is to purchase between now and spring time, then for the next 10 years, bringing a 5th wheel to camp in, then build a garage with living space, then building our retirement home out there.

We know what we want location and size wise. Just need someone who is local to help us.

Any insight from folks who are in the process or doing something similar would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 07:25 AM   #2
Loanman
Spike

Hunt In: Turkey Tx

My buddy just bought some land, they have been going up every summer for the last several years to figure out which city, then they found and agent they liked...bought land.
Loanman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 07:55 AM   #3
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loanman View Post
My buddy just bought some land, they have been going up every summer for the last several years to figure out which city, then they found and agent they liked...bought land.
Your friend by chance have a name of that realtor?

I am thinking right now that is about the only way to do it. Was hoping for some basis to at least start the search. The Colorado lands website is garbage, and so far, the realtors I have contacted have been unhelpful to say the least.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
Grayson
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

I have a client whose son is a realtor in CO. I'll see if I can get you the name.
Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 08:44 AM   #5
Highplainsmalla
Four Point

Hunt In: TX

What part of the state are you looking at? I work the southern part, and could ask customers who the good realtors are.
Highplainsmalla is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 08:49 AM   #6
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

https://www.landsofamerica.com/utili...l-land&filter=
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #7
bugbee
Four Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto county & East TX

Try landwatch. Seems to be a pretty good site imo. I've been looking around in New Mexico myself.
bugbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #8
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
I have a client whose son is a realtor in CO. I'll see if I can get you the name.
Yes please. PM works if you don't want to put his information out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highplainsmalla View Post
What part of the state are you looking at? I work the southern part, and could ask customers who the good realtors are.
Yes please. We are looking From South of Denver to the NM border, with preference around the Pagosa Springs area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgHntr10 View Post
Thanks. I have contacted a few realtors on there. They remind me of Jim Adler though, which scares me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugbee View Post
Try landwatch. Seems to be a pretty good site imo. I've been looking around in New Mexico myself.
Will check it out. We actually thought about northern NM, like Red River/Taos area, but as a retirement state, it was a little concerning. Also, we still want to be a few hours drive from a relatively big city. Any thing you have learned as you looked that surprised you?

Thanks again everyone, and keep the good information coming.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #9
TWP
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo

I have bought and sold several properties in CO. Shoot me a PM, I can help you go directly to land owners. You don't need a realtor to buy and sell land, especially if you know the area you want.
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #10
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP View Post
I have bought and sold several properties in CO. Shoot me a PM, I can help you go directly to land owners. You don't need a realtor to buy and sell land, especially if you know the area you want.
Thanks. We are still a little ways out from going and walking different parcels of land, and won't be purchasing until January. I will definitely get in touch. I would prefer to buy directly from a LO than deal with a realtor any day.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #11
In-Yo-Grill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waring, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Thanks. We are still a little ways out from going and walking different parcels of land, and won't be purchasing until January. I will definitely get in touch. I would prefer to buy directly from a LO than deal with a realtor any day.
My buddy bought land in Pagosa Springs two years ago and is in the process of building a home there. I met with the powers that be for Archuleta County and was able to get the info I needed to draw up his plans. I'll ask him for the realtor that helped them find property and get back to you.
In-Yo-Grill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #12
TWP
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
My buddy bought land in Pagosa Springs two years ago and is in the process of building a home there. I met with the powers that be for Archuleta County and was able to get the info I needed to draw up his plans. I'll ask him for the realtor that helped them find property and get back to you.
Great part of the state, I have bought and sold a few parcels in that area also. Lots of land for sale right now. Believe me, make you offers, it will probably get accepted.
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #13
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
I would sure appreciate it.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #14
WItoTX
Ten Point

Anyone in the evening crowd have suggestions?
Old 09-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #15
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

No help here but in for the info.... I would like to do something similar... How much land are you looking for??
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #16
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
No help here but in for the info.... I would like to do something similar... How much land are you looking for??
5-10 acres is the plan right now.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:52 PM   #17
helibow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Cty and Colorado

Where are you wanting to buy up here? Mike Bosley at Spring Creek Realtors is a stand up guy and knows Colorado land really well. Worked with him for a while when I was looking for raw land to buy/build. Ended up accidentally coming across the cabin on 2 acres that I ended up buying while out exploring on my own that was FSBO and snatched it up. I would not hesitate to call Mike again!
helibow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 03:02 AM   #18
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW.

we found our little piece of Colorado in the TBH classifieds.

It's about 30 minutes west of Pagosa.

I'll see if I can find someone to refer you to up there.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 05:50 AM   #19
hardtner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co, NW OK, Unit 16 KS

You need a good agent to help with your search, likely several to help add to your own online searching

My .02 from an agent perspective....You might be approaching it the wrong way.

If you are really searching an area from Denver to CO border then that is roughly geographically equivalent to searching from Dallas to Austin or in my case Nacogdoches to Dallas. If someone came in my office and asked my to help them find 5-10 acres between Nacogdoches and Dallas I would tell them that I can't be the best agent for them in all of those areas. I have my "target" areas that I'm good at but there are many "target" areas between here and Dallas. I can't be on top of things in that big of area....particularly for the thousands of listings that fall in the 5-10 acre category.

My advice....go to Pagosa Springs and find the best, most helpful agent there and start your search. Go to South Denver, or whatever, and find an agent there and do the same in several target areas. Let the agents know if you find there perfect property in that area, then you will buy it. You are better off not coming across as a buyer that is looking for land across half the state if you want to be taken seriously. Let an agent help you in the area that they know well...and no where else. Your search area is much too broad to get excellent service from 1 agent.

Good luck in your search

Last edited by hardtner; 09-14-2017 at 05:55 AM..
hardtner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 06:43 AM   #20
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtner View Post
You need a good agent to help with your search, likely several to help add to your own online searching

My .02 from an agent perspective....You might be approaching it the wrong way.

If you are really searching an area from Denver to CO border then that is roughly geographically equivalent to searching from Dallas to Austin or in my case Nacogdoches to Dallas. If someone came in my office and asked my to help them find 5-10 acres between Nacogdoches and Dallas I would tell them that I can't be the best agent for them in all of those areas. I have my "target" areas that I'm good at but there are many "target" areas between here and Dallas. I can't be on top of things in that big of area....particularly for the thousands of listings that fall in the 5-10 acre category.

My advice....go to Pagosa Springs and find the best, most helpful agent there and start your search. Go to South Denver, or whatever, and find an agent there and do the same in several target areas. Let the agents know if you find there perfect property in that area, then you will buy it. You are better off not coming across as a buyer that is looking for land across half the state if you want to be taken seriously. Let an agent help you in the area that they know well...and no where else. Your search area is much too broad to get excellent service from 1 agent.

Good luck in your search
That's a good point. Definitely appreciate the insight. In reality, what I am looking for is the Pagosa Springs, Grand Junction, Buena Vista triangle. In the broader picture, something within a 30 minute drive of national forest or conservation area's.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2017, 03:03 PM   #21
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

My in-laws just purchased property with a cabin in Pagosa Springs, San Juan NF...let me ask him the name of the fella he had helping him
TxDispatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 04:09 PM   #22
shark79
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post
we found our little piece of Colorado in the TBH classifieds.

It's about 30 minutes west of Pagosa.

I'll see if I can find someone to refer you to up there.
I remember that place. I'm heading up tomorrow for some fall fishing on the Taylor River.
shark79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top