Black and White Conversion Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black and White Conversion Method

There's more than one way to skin a cat. This is just one method I learned from a Scott Kelby Book. This is for Photoshop CS3 but I'm sure you would be able to do this in Elements or older versions of Photoshop. I'd be interested to know.

How to do it:
    Open up color photo that you want to convert. Hit the letter D to set your foreground to black. Then, Click on the add fill or adjustment layer and then click on Gradient Map.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	adjustment-layer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	24729612

The Gradient map dialog appears-just click done. You can be done at this point or, you can double click your layer thumbnail and then double click in the middle of the gradient map. This opens the gradient editor. Just slide the sliders back and forth until you get the contrast you are looking for.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Graident-editor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	24729613

Let me know if I need to add more details to understand it. I tried to break down what Kelby does in 4 pages, to a couple of paragraphs.

Gerald, once you get finished, add about 10% of a warming filter to that and watch it POP!

Comment

Danny, this is a method to get high contrast black and white. If you were to add a warming filter on top of this, you end up getting into the sepia tones.

But,with with all things artistic, there's no absolute. It's all about what you like.

Comment

Gerald, thanks for posting this. I'm going to try it. I've been playing around with black & white adjustment layers this afternoon. This sounds simpler.

Comment

Working...
        X