Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police Officer pay....versus other profession's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure the hill country is ready for $165 hr rates.

So I posted a question about an Electrician's pay because I wanted some work done on a shed on my property that needed to be "wired and plumbed". Is this the rate for a plumber/electrician? 165 per hour?

The bold type at the top of this thread was a response. Is this the current rate for an electrician? I guess??? I really don't know.

BTW I'm an LEO...an Officers/Deputy's off duty pay is LESS than his daily salary. So I get paid XX amount of dollars to be "on the job" and about $25-35 per hour (depending on location) to do off duty security.

I'm not saying that anyone is more important than me but if a Plumber is paid $165 per hour.....I'm astonished!!!

Kind of what it seems like you are saying

Comment

I'm not sure of the exacts, but a plumber/ electrician business is probably paying for all his equipment including his service vehicle....plus liability insurance, utilities, fuel etc etc...and a building with employees to help run the business. The hourly rate covers all those and not just the individuals hourly salary..

Comment

That's high around here. Most places are around $105/hr. Keep in mind that's not what the guy doing the work is making, he's probably getting $20-$25. It pays for the trucks, insurance, advertising, shops, secretaries, taxes, and owner's profit. That labor rate is their only source of income though.

If it is a guy who is doing a side job or runs his own smaller business, he is either trying to take advantage of you or doesn't really want the work, so he is pricing it high on purpose.

I never have the big companies do large jobs for me, they are just too expansive. I use them for the quick 2-3 hour projects, but for something like you're talking about I'd get someone that works for himself with a helper, he should be around $50 per hour. The catch is if he is good at what he does, he is probably booked up for a month or more.
        Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 07-25-2016, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          I'm not sure of the exacts, but a plumber/ electrician business is probably paying for all his equipment including his service vehicle....plus liability insurance, utilities, fuel etc etc...and a building with employees to help run the business. The hourly rate covers all those and not just the individuals hourly salary..
          Yep.

Comment

Jason you are a smart dude.....and I say this with NO disrespect but my county also pays for fuel, insurance etc.... I get that cities, counties. states gather more taxes than a single company but.....

Comment

Originally posted by txsteele View Post
              Jason you are a smart dude.....and I say this with NO disrespect but my county also pays for fuel, insurance etc.... I get that cities, counties. states gather more taxes than a single company but.....
              Well of course they do but you don't...you are missing the point. That electricians/plumber hourly wage after all those expenses comes out is probably closer to your wage.... Plus they don't get any of that money working 40+ hours a week guaranteed. They have to work when there is work..

You should be comparing the plumbers revenue rate to the city's intake.....not your individual rate. You can't compare a business' revenue rate to an employee's hourly rate and expect it to be an accurate one..
              Last edited by Smart; 07-25-2016, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Say an autoshop charges $100 dollars an hour for repair on your car. You wouldn't compare your hourly wage to that $100/hour....you would compare your wage to the mechanic's, who does the work, hourly wage of $15-25ish per hour.
                Last edited by Smart; 07-25-2016, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Say an autoshop charges $100 dollars an hour for repair on your car. You wouldn't compare your hourly wage to that $100/hour....you would compare your wage to the mechanic's, who does the work, hourly wage of $15-25ish per hour.

You are correct. With that being said $165 an hour seems really high but I've never broke it down. Usually I pay for the job. I paid $600 for AC preventive work last week and he will probably be here for 2 hrs and give me a few pounds of freon.

What I have found is knowing the man in just about every mechanical fix you will need in life will save you a pile of money. There's a reason I have a "mechanic", "tire Guy", "lawn guy", "plumber", electrician", and small town Judge(they work wonders)[emoji28]. I can get my brother to build me the Eiffel Tower for a case of beer.

I've also reached to someone on bayou bucks who saved me 50% on a freezer repair when a part went out on my freezer for my deer meat. TBH should be the first place you look for help in this instance.

For the record Police Officers should better compensated for what they do. I know my butt wouldn't do what y'all do for less than $200 and hr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Black Ice; 07-25-2016, 11:03 PM.

Comment

I dont know, but I probably make about what you make and I decided long ago that I cant afford to pay someone to do that stuff for me so I do it myself. The majority of that kind of stuff is not real technical and anyone that takes some time to learn it and is halfway coordinated can do it. Learning it now will pay off for the rest of your life.

Comment

The plumber doesn't get that. As noted, he's probably making $20-25/hour. What do you think pays for that truck, the fuel, the equipment, the employment taxes, the property taxes (businesses pay business personal property taxes every year on all their equipment—a little known detail non-business people don't know), the office staff, the office building and yard, and—hopefully—some profit for the owner?

Comment

Compare the benefits you get against benefits of electrician.

I have a family friend that was a fireman in Shreveport that loved to complain about pay and hours. I asked him if complaining was part of his training. He stopped complaining when he retired at 52 with 100% healthcare paid for and making the same money as if he was working. He even gets a raise when active employees get a raise. He will be retired for longer than he worked. I say all of this to say, compare all of the benefits, not just the pay.

Comment

Workmans comp is big expense as well.
                          There is a ton of overhead in running a service shop.
                          I bet each officer and equipment costs the city/county the same or per hour

But yeah $165 is pretty high
                          My plumber is around $120

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our plumber charges $150 per visit
                            And originally tried showing with a helper on truck not any more

Comment

Yep.... An hourly rate is not net profit. His net is after all expenses, that come out of that $100/hour... His actual hourly rate will depend all upon time and expenses

Comment

Working...
                              X