No announcement yet.

Elk development on protein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite frankly I would be killing that elk. I would bet money he "disappears". I am a land owner and although I don't have it leased to anyone, a good friend of mine, and my cousin hunt the place and help pay for feed etc. I would never just wake up one morning and say hey that 155 inch ten pt is off limits. Sounds **** shady. Just my .02.

Comment

what I have gathered tell me if i am right or not. you are a meat hunter, you lease a property im guessing with rules that you are a meat hunter and get to take culls and does to fill the freezer, somewhere in the hill country, the owner has cows so in return you probably keep an eye on them and the property, You noticed that you have exotics, you started feeding them protein, turns out you have a monster, you went to the land owner for permission to harvest the beast, land owner was a jerk and held strong and told you no to the harvest, we are all now mad at the landowner, and love all the pictures and great story? just making sure i was caught up any new pics?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasPigHunter View Post
        what I have gathered tell me if i am right or not. you are a meat hunter, you lease a property im guessing with rules that you are a meat hunter and get to take culls and does to fill the freezer, somewhere in the hill country, the owner has cows so in return you probably keep an eye on them and the property, You noticed that you have exotics, you started feeding them protein, turns out you have a monster, you went to the land owner for permission to harvest the beast, land owner was a jerk and held strong and told you no to the harvest, we are all now mad at the landowner, and love all the pictures and great story? just making sure i was caught up any new pics?
        No, exotics are in the contract, one axis 30" or better or one elk 5x5 or larger. A management buck and a trophy buck, and a goat, all other exotics are at the owners discretion. The land owner is holding to him not being elk. Saying he is a stag because of his crown at the top of the antlers. You can see from the posts on here lots of people are saying stag others saying elk. Also after talking with the other people on the lease and looking over pictures he isn't nearly as mature as some of the other bulls. Or he is smaller in the body because he is stag or a cross breed, no way to tell for sure.

To answer your question though, yes I am a meat hunter and that's why I'm not as ****** now, if I get to run an arrow through an old mature bull that's smaller than this guy, in the horns, it still fills the freezer and I still get to shoot an elk without a trip to the mountains. Also I get to stay on the lease, hopefully for along time to come and shoot some bigger bulls down the road.
        Last edited by hoythitman; 12-16-2015, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Wasn't trying to sound like a **** just was trying to piece it all together.. Your a on pretty ****** place man. I am the same as you and will pass deer all day long and just harvest does if need be hell last year I only shot 5 does, probably haven't shot a buck in 3 years

Comment

Well put man, good luck to you getting a good old bull this year! Still gonna be following

Comment

What are your thoughts on an elk and red stag cross breeding. I don't think they will or haven't ever heard of it at least. I know it's possible but I don't think it's likely..

Comment

What are your thoughts on an elk and red stag cross breeding. I don't think they will or haven't ever heard of it at least. I know it's possible but I don't think it's likely..
                They do crossbreed. Sika can get in that mix as well.

Comment

My buddy Shoot this red stag awhile back looks similar with the baskets
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450284069.647574.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	24420666

Comment

Yeah, they do a lot. Along with Sika.

Comment

nice lease you found, leases are hard to find unless you have deep pockets. stay on it as long as possible. hope one day I'll find a spot for me and the kids.
                      Good luck, fill the freezer

Comment

Working...
                      X