Hagerman Hunting Program- Seeking Public Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hagerman Hunting Program- Seeking Public Comments

I posted this in the "Public Hunting Opportunity" forum yesterday, it has not received the response that I thought it would from the usual suspects. A few noticed it, but not the entire entourage that accompanies the H draw. So with a little prodding, thought I'd post it here.

This originated with RGB, so he gets the cedit, link and announcement below and note the short response time (Friday 5 October 2018).

I had heard some of this earlier this year, a lot of folks have seen the plan to
    move the drawing to TPWD, the other I thought was just talk. I am surprised they are accepting comments, mine are ready for tomorrows mail run.

I would encourage all you guys, and gals that have time invested in Hagerman to submit some type of response. My hope is that more hunters respond than the anti-hunters.

The modified plan will propose working with Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) to process applications for refuge white-tailed deer, wild turkey, and feral hog hunts; modifying methods of take for deer and turkey hunts; modifying areas and dates open to rabbit, squirrel, and dove hunting, and opening the Nocona Unit in Montague County to hunting as per TPWD regulations.

The public is invited to submit comments and information they wish to have considered during the hunt plan revision.

The purpose of the Hunt Plan modification is to update existing plans that were prepared in 1970 for dove, squirrel, and rabbit; 1982 for white-tailed deer (amended in 1991); and 2012 for feral hog and wild turkey. The proposed plan would include entering into an agreement with TPWD to accept applications through their on-line only Drawn Hunts system and make selections using loyalty points; allowing the use of crossbows in alignment with State of Texas regulations for archery hunting; expanding the season and units available for upland game hunting; and opening the 822-acre Nocona Unit of Hagerman NWR (Montague County, TX) to limited hunting of white-tailed deer, wild turkey, feral hog, mourning dove, rabbit, and squirrel through an agreement with TPWD.

Comments will be accepted until October 5, 2018, and incorporated into the plan to the extent practicable. The Draft Hunt Plan documents, once completed, will be provided to the public for further review and comment.

The public is encouraged to provide input by writing to: Refuge Manager, Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge, 6465 Refuge Road, Sherman, Texas 75092. To ensure your comments are included in this process, they must be delivered to the refuge in person, or sent by mail and postmarked by October 5, 2018. Please note “Refuge Hunt Comments” on the submitted documents. Comments will not be accepted by fax or email.

For questions, please contact the Refuge Headquarters at (903) 786-2826.

Looks like a good opportunity to voice some thoughts.

Comment

Yes Sir, and I'm sure several on here have some thoughts (other than gutter). Send em in!

This is not my verbage, I am quoting it from a response from jnd1959- "To those that see an opportunity remember, what the government does for you today it will eventually do to you in the future."

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, letter will be in the mail by Friday.

Really hoping TPWD enforces the bow ed requirement...

Comment

Yep, prior to application.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Evening bump.

Comment

Yep, voice your opinion!!! Gail and staff are not happy about the situation.

Comment

I'd rather see a Beto avatar, at least I can vote against him. I haven't asked the staff about the direction, it would be nice to discuss with them once the direction is determined.

I would encourage all to submit their input, I don't GAS if it's in line with mine, I would like to discuss it with both the H staff and the TPWD staff. It's our land, it's our tax $ that supports it- it's ours. Don't let someone take it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                    I'd rather see a Beto avatar, at least I can vote against him. I haven't asked the staff about the direction, it would be nice to discuss with them once the direction is determined.

I would encourage all to submit their input, I don't GAS if it's in line with mine, I would like to discuss it with both the H staff and the TPWD staff. It's our land, it's our tax $ that supports it- it's ours. Don't let someone take it away.
                    I won't speak for staff, but they were pretty adamant during the turkey hunt that they were not pleased with the direction things were going....

Comment

wow…….first time seeing this! That is a whole LOTTA change.

Comment

Friday bump for anyone who has not seen this...

Comment

Thanks, afternoon day prior to opening day bump.

Comment

I think the thought of one day applying for this hunt was my only motivation to take bowhunter’s ed (well maybe to hunt the Haul Road in Alaska).

Comment

I talked to Gail back in May and didn't get the feeling that they opposed the new change in allowing TPWD to conduct the drawing. I'm not sure I like the thought of it. I'm afraid there may be a ton more of entries if they open it up thru the license buying system.

Comment

Working...
                              X