Giving Tri tip a go. Happy 4th!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving Tri tip a go. Happy 4th!!

Friend of mine lives on the west coast, but could be Texan by virtue of his love of all things of burnished flesh. He’s been prodding me to give Tri tip a la Santa Maria style (seasoned with salt pepper and garlic over a hot fire). So here goes nothing, seasoned with Red Raider Meats steak seasoning which meats all the requirements and cooking on a bed of 650ish degree Mesquite coals. Roasted corn for the side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	64DD9565-B9C7-49F7-89CF-4BB21BCF7098.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	25149975

Name:	F5543B0C-5E1B-4AE0-9C67-D7200FD56DB3.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	25149974

Looks good

Comment

Oh yeah!

Comment

Yeah, I think this is going to be A-Ok

Name:	F95322C1-F797-4403-A6BE-8F5927D4B5F0.jpg
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	24543937

Comment

Daaaaang. Looks great

Comment

Your first one turned out great. Leftovers make a killer sandwich

Comment

That is about the most tender steak I’ve ever had. Will definitely do this again. Turned it twice, about 5 mins each side each time. It is technically a roast cut so it’s realky thick in the center, but you get a good mix of “done-ness”. It was medium well at the tips, then medium, and rare in the center of the chunk. E’rbody happy!

Comment

Good stuff

Of course around here you have to find a butcher that knows what you are looking for

First one I asked looked at me like I had 2 heads

Comment

We did some tri tip today as well. My second attempt. Turned out pretty good.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                    Good stuff

Of course around here you have to find a butcher that knows what you are looking for

First one I asked looked at me like I had 2 heads
                    That’s exactly what I told my friend. I see them on rare occasions in our grocery store (United Market Street). My wife did the shopping this week and had to ask for it the butcher counter. Still not sure we got exactly what was intended for grilling. From what I read those have a find of fat on one side

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                      That’s exactly what I told my friend. I see them on rare occasions in our grocery store (United Market Street). My wife did the shopping this week and had to ask for it the butcher counter. Still not sure we got exactly what was intended for grilling. From what I read those have a find of fat on one side
                      My mother in law picked some up for me because she heard a group of Brazilian guys at the meat counter asking for it, and the butcher was saying it was a great cut. So she kind of coat-tailed and asked for some, too.

It had a massive layer of fat on one side, I scored the fat with a knife and made an x-grid pattern through it but left it attached to the meat. When I went to grill it, the fat melted down through the meat. I read the Brazilians traditionally only season it with salt, so that’s what I did. I’m definitely going to try it again.

Comment

I think the butcher told me it was the tail end of what they cut sirloin steaks out of but I don't remember

I need to swing by and get him to find me another one

Comment

Costco usually has it

Comment

Love trip tip, rare to led rare and sliced thin makes about as good a sandwich as you can get

Comment

I cook mine 5 minutes each side then move to the side and cook to 135 internal temp

Sliced very thin...

Dang I think I have one in the freezer...

Comment

Working...
                              X