Tax appraisal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax appraisal question

Built a new house and moved in last May. I recently received my 2018 Tax Appraisal and appraisal has an additional 468 square feet on my house and 16 sq ft on my shop. I called the tax appraisal office and talked to the lady and she told me tax appraisal square footage is calculated on outside measurements not inside like an appraiser will do when buying or selling. Never heard of this, wasn't like that on my previous house. Fighting it now providing more info to them. Anyone had the same issues?

If you take them your blue prints that should fix it. Just don't let them inside!

Comment

My wife and i closed on property back in November and the tax office still has not changed it over into our name. I've called them twice now about it and it still is not updated on the website. Tax offices do since dumb stuff!!

Comment

Square footage measurements are calculated using exterior measurements for both the county and a private appraisal. But that doesn’t mean the county is correct. In most counties, their appraisers will round the measured dimension to the nearest half foot. Independent appraisers typically round measurements to a more exact standard. Also, if your home is a 2 story home with open areas in the second level, there is a decent chance that the counties square footage is incorrect. Best way to get this straightened out is to either show the county a set of plans or have your house measured by an appraiser. Then take the appraisers sketch down to the appraisal district.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
          Square footage measurements are calculated using exterior measurements for both the county and a private appraisal. But that doesn’t mean the county is correct. In most counties, their appraisers will round the measured dimension to the nearest half foot. Independent appraisers typically round measurements to a more exact standard. Also, if your home is a 2 story home with open areas in the second level, there is a decent chance that the counties square footage is incorrect. Best way to get this straightened out is to either show the county a set of plans or have your house measured by an appraiser. Then take the appraisers sketch down to the appraisal district.
          X2

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

If you have any questions or need help finding an appraiser in your area, shoot me a PM.

Comment

Excellent response

Comment

So does exterior measurements mean they use the roofline of your house from a satellite picture? Obviously that would include porches and car ports which should not be included I would think. OP, did someone come out and physically measure your house? Interested in this as I hope to be building a house soon.

Comment

Good to know. I have my original appraisers measurements and drawings along with survey and will provide to them. His measurements and mine are real close compared to the county tax appraisers.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Comment

OP, did someone come out and physically measure your house? Interested in this as I hope to be building a house soon.[/quote]

Yes they did. Very frustrating when I put my tape on it and then look at their numbers and sketch. Original appraisal is very close to builder specs.
                    Last edited by Gunner97; 05-08-2018, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                      So does exterior measurements mean they use the roofline of your house from a satellite picture? Obviously that would include porches and car ports which should not be included I would think. OP, did someone come out and physically measure your house? Interested in this as I hope to be building a house soon.
                      No,

It is the exterior dimensions of the walls.

This would not include the roof area, porches, or carports, but can incorrectly make assumptions about where garage walls fall within the dwelling, which can affect the accuracy of the living square footage.

Comment

County added 4' to the depth of one of my houses times the length made a big difference. Called them and they measured it again and corrected it.

Comment

Working...
                        X