Selfbow Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selfbow Questions

I was gifted a nice 63#@28 selfbow with copperhead backing and 6 river cane arrows, and back quiver made by Ryan Gill out if Florida. It's real nice and snarky.

Couple if questions:
    1. Do selfbow normally have hand shock? This literally rattles my teeth.

2. At 10 yrs, it's shooting about 10-12" left. I've never shot a long bow, much less a selfbow. Is that normal? I've been a recurve guy all my life.

Look forward to your comments.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Hand shock is all about design. Arrows are probably too stiff. Nice bow!

Comment

Brace height is very critical. Ryan makes a great bow I doubt it has much handshock when tuned right. My selfbows shoot their weight in spine with full length shafts so if they are shorter they would shoot less than their weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Selfbow Questions

You got a top of the line bow if you got a Gill made bow!!!!

Most folks will shoot way left with a selfbow if their brains are calibrated for a more modern glass longbow or recurve. The main reason for this is that the selfbow is not cut anywhere near as close to center as the modern longbow or recurve.

Most selfbows will be more shocky than a glass bow, but like mentioned above, bow design (and also how you grip the bow) will dictate just how much handshock is felt.

That’s an awesome looking stick Brian!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Last edited by Bisch; 01-24-2018, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Bisch is right self bows shoot left. I have the same snakey bow from Ryan, backed with Diamondback. It takes some time to adjust you point of aim going from Laminate bow to self. At least it does me.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I shot at 8 yards and missed the whole dang target. The arrows did seem a bit short. I didn't know if maybe I should can't the bow some, I normally shoot my recurve straight vertical. I'll try not grip so tight. This is going to be fun. My recurves are 55# and this feels like bending a 2x4! There's no nock on the string, so I was just eyeballing it. I may try my carbon arrows, they are longer with a high FOC, or is that a cardinal sin? Watch out critters, I'm coming for ya!

Comment

I tried carbons. It just felt wrong.

Comment

Carbons are not a sin. Well maybe kinda. Trust me if Ryan sent the arrows with the bow
                They are matched right to your bow. Check out some of his youtube videos on shooting self bows, big help to me. I found that shooting his bow is easiest if I shoot like I was shooting a sling shot. Not aiming just feel the shot. Took awhile but Im
                now confident out to 15 yards

Comment

Yes if not designed right they are shock. Yes a bend in the handle will shot left unless the arrows are way weak. Yes he builds a good bow. Yes you can build a selfbow that has a shelf just like your Longbow that can sometimes shoot the same arrows as your glass bow. No they don't have to be skocky. If the deminishing mass is such that the bow tips are not very wide it probably won't have much shock. Yes they can be fast. Like 170-180 fps. They usually don't have shock at these speeds cause they can't . I am talking 50# with a 500 gr arrow bows here. I hate it when people rag the selfbows when they never have seen a really well made bow. I kmow about this first hand. I built a bunch of shocky bows before I got them down. The snaky bows have extra mass and this can cause shock. There is a price sometimes for cool. Arvin
                  Last edited by Selfbowman; 01-25-2018, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Selfbowman View Post
                    Yes if not designed right they are shock. Yes a bend in the handle will shot left unless the arrows are way weak. Yes he builds a good bow. Yes you can build a selfbow that has a shelf just like your Longbow that can sometimes shoot the same arrows as your glass bow. No they don't have to be skocky. If the deminishing mass is such that the bow tips are not very wide it probably won't have much shock. Yes they can be fast. Like 170-180 fps. They usually don't have shock at these speeds cause they can't . I am talking 50# with a 500 gr arrow bows here. I hate it when people rag the selfbows when they never have seen a really well made bow. I kmow about this first hand. I built a bunch of shocky bows before I got them down. The snaky bows have extra mass and this can cause shock. There is a price sometimes for cool. Arvin
                    Wasn't ragging on selfbow, never had or shot one, was just asking questions. I've shot trad bows since I was big enough to hold one and I'm 57 yrs old. In that time I've owned maybe 10 bows, and never felt any hand shock. Was only asking questions so I can learn to love it more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t think Arvin was getting on you about the hand shock Brian. He builds selfbows as a trade, and hears a lot of folks rag in selfbows about them being shocky.

For me, and it may be largely due to the unorthodox way I grip a bow, all selfbows are at least a tad bit more shocky than my glass bows. Some (the good ones) are not enough more to make a hill of beans difference, while others will knock teeth out of your head. I’ve also shot a few glass bows that could rattle teeth too!

I think it’s mostly in design. The guys who build the smooth ones, like Arvin and Gill and Lonnie Dye, have got a good design figured out, and that is why their bows are top of the line!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Gill builds more of a Native American style bow most of the time. He does not usually cut much of a shelf. I don't know him personally but have seen his bows a lot on primitive archer site . He has won bow of the month more than once I am sure.this is a 63# bow and if you have shot glass bows of that weight you know there is more shock in heavier bows no matter what they are made of. Nice bow . Can't the bow to about 2:30 and you can shoot those arrows successfully at ten to fifteen yds. That what that bow was designed for cause the natives were better hunters. Had not near the tools we use today . They did not need scent lock they had a bath about the same time as the game they was hunting. Have fun with the bow and get close and you will get your deer . Arvin

Comment

I like a nice "bump" in a selfbow,,a comfortable bump not a ton of handshock...almost every selfbow i have shot or built has some kind of pleasant little hand"bump". Almost.

Comment

I relaxed my grip a little and canted the bow, at least I can hit the target consistently. Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Working...
                            X