Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
    Thanks , Fort bend county

Just down the road. Great buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Appreciate it sir

Comment

Brazos Bend State Park Hunt

Well I have a story and it doesn’t have a happy ending. I’m sitting there and just had sent a text saying I hadn’t seen Anything. Look up and a doe is easing through the brush. Buck is chasing her. I shoot and he falls.

So replaying it in my head again. I shot and he crumpled. Then I see just his head sticking up wobbling. I don’t see any reason to shoot again. I couldn’t of even if I wanted to from the blind do to blow down trees and grass. Just can see top half of head and rack swaying. He is just going to die from what I see. Thinking he is 14-15”. I feel confident he is legal. Then I start over there and I see a buck standing there hunched up facing dead away from me. Raise the gun and only have a dead away shot. He is just standing there and a big pig walks out. He either sees me or the pig, think the pig since he was facing away from me and hauls rear. He had been standing there for no telling how long because he was blocked from the stand of trees. I looked for blood and nothing.

From what I Remember he has a couple of broke tines but I think 6 on one side. Main beams were intact. Thin antlered but looked like a 4.5+ yr old deer.

We walked and had 2 park rangers with me. Walked up on some big pigs and they weren’t too enthused about wandering around with no blood.

I can’t remember for the life of me if I stopped the buck or shot him as he was moving but he dropped like he was hit with a sledge hammer.

Best guess was I hit high and grazed the spine and only temporarily stunned him.

Sucked to write that but I owe to you guys for following along. Wish I had better news [emoji22]

Last edited by TildenHunter; 11-14-2018, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Can you go look in the morning?

Comment

Oof! Rough break. But at least you got to experience the encounter.

Comment

Brazos Bend State Park Hunt

And I did want to take a chance to say that the hunt was great and the game warden was fair and the park staff was top notch. They did a great job and everyone was safe the entire time. Not easy with 30 hunters scattered over 5,000 acres. Hat is off to those guys. Everyone did their job but me! About 5 different things had to go exactly wrong for this to play out the way it did and they all happened. It sucks but nothing I can do about it now.

They said their was no evidence of a deer even being hit except my recount of the whole deal so I could still hunt in the AM. I have to get back to work and feel as if I have had my chance and my deer.

Thinking back on it I feel certain I hit just above the spine and stunned him. Leads me to believe he will make it and not go to waste. Will let you know if I hear of anything in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post

I looked where he was laying for 30 minutes. Then walked another 30-40 minutes with a park ranger. We never saw a single drop of blood.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post

I did ask about going back out there but the ranger said there are hunters out till 9:30 tomorrow and everyone from the hunt has to be off the grounds by 10:30 tomorrow. He said I could go back when the park re-opens on Friday. Have to get caught up at work and then see what happens.

Seeing what I saw (or didn’t see) I think that deer is going to live. I wish like hell I knew if I stopped him or not when I shot. I just can’t remember.

Comment

Sorry bud we all know that’s hunting. You gave it your all and that’s all you can do. Glad the park and staff were good. We have good wardens

Comment

FBC County has very nice deer. I know of several 150s killed every year in FBC. From Thompson Bottom , Sawmill, George Ranch, Tierra Grande and Simonton area. There is not much hunting pressure compared to other counties and the ones who do get to enjoy it.

Thank you for taking us along.

Comment

Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
                        Hope you did well. Not to hijack but if you didn’t get one this evening maybe I can help you find a way to put your work off some lol. I shot this one this evening. He came right in to one of those aerosol estrus buck bombs. I normally don’t believe in them but it was on sale so I grabbed one. One of the biggest bodied deer I have killed here. 161lbs on the hoof according to the scale but I’m not sure it was right

Congrats

Comment

Thank you sir

Comment

Dang Hunter. Sorry bud.

Comment

Sorry bud. I did enjoy following along. Thanks for keeping us in the loop, maybe next year.

Comment

Enjoyed following along

Comment

Working...
                                X