No announcement yet.

Chaparral 2018 thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather looks like they might get a decent frost this week and maybe a light freeze.

Comment

Chap is still very green. Weather was in the 40-50's this weekend with fog and mist on Sunday. We hunted the Southside of North Jay stand 336. Get out and walk, there are better places to hunt than supplied Chap stands but you have to put in effort.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
        This, but just use curtisy and try to set generators away from other campers so we can all sleep.
        If you bring a couple pieced of plywood or something to block the sound it really helps.

Also, we always take a big tarp or two and plenty of rope and bunjees to wrap around poles of the covered areas to block the north wind/rain. This will make a huge difference at your camp in comfortability when cooking at night or lounging. Itll also help keep your gear dryer, corn etc

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Man it’s gonna be a long next two weeks. Hard freeze in cotulla today so it should knock back a lot of the browse. Hoping for a cold front that week and we will be set.

Comment

Man it’s gonna be a long next two weeks. Hard freeze in cotulla today so it should knock back a lot of the browse. Hoping for a cold front that week and we will be set.

Heck yeah man we needed this freeze! I’m sure the fronts are going to start coming in pretty regular now. I’m sure we will get another good one before December. Those bucks will be on the move then for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I took my son to the doe hunt last weekend at the Chap. We were assigned the SE part of the Ano Nuevo pasture. We hunted one of the youth blinds (No. 316) Saturday afternoon. We corned the road in both directions. Nothing came to the corn. We did see 2 coyotes and a bobcat. Sunday morning we went back to 316. It was cold and wet. At first light we seen a nice buck cross at 40 yards, big body did not stop just walked across sendero. About 8:30 we walked some of the roads in our pasture looking for crossings/sign. Found a few crossings that were well used. We did see some deer crossing the road while walking. They were 300-500 yards away. To far for my son to shoot. We left Sunday afternoon. We had a great time and meet some great folks. I will be hunting the Dec 4-7 archery hunt.

Comment

Two more weeks..........

Comment

Two more weeks..........

Y’all get some good scouting for us too while y’all are there!

Comment

Rifle Hunt

I've been putting in for about 7 years now. I decided to add my wife at the last minute and got drawn. She's never been in the draw hunt and this was a first. Now I am taking my son (13), wife and myself. Lord I hope I don't screw it up. It will be interesting.... December 17-21 and I hope the rut is on.

Comment

Did your son draw too? I know on the hunts I’ve been drawn on they specifically said only permitted hunters in the field. I would hate for you to get there and they turn him (and you) away. Good luck on your hunt!!

Comment

Yes, he was drawn as well. I usually enter him on all my applications since it's free for him and we have a great time out in the field.

Comment

This, but just use curtisy and try to set generators away from other campers so we can all sleep.
                          Absolutely...I have a very quiet machine but still place it back always.

Not looking good for me now though as if looks like our contractor is going to be finished with our house about the time of the hunt. We have been living in the trailer since Harvey.

We were supposed to be in already. And I was going to tow it down for the hunt... Argggg

Cant tell the wife ..just one more week ....

Will be a game time decision for me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Could always just tent camp, better than not going

Comment

It’s almost time!!! Few more weeks any more reports on the youth hunts?

Comment

9 days and counting

Comment

Working...
                                X