No announcement yet.

Buying Hunting Land - Any Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 210 acres in Kaufman I'll sell you for $6,000/acre. Good investment, cattle raising, deer, hogs, and big creek. Creek bottom with good mud holes. Sell off the road frontage and keep the back for hunting. 35 miles from Dallas but that could take 2 hours depending on where you are located.

Comment

Utilities can't be stressed enough. Electric company wanted 15-20k to bring lines half a mile down road at one place I looked at. At another, there was a water line at front of property, but it didn't have capacity so they wouldn't allow any more connections

Comment

lands of texas.com site helped me the most, mainly because of the alerts you can set up to notify you daily or weekly. We looked for over a year and found a nice 35 acre plot this spring, had a few disappointments on other plots along the way but all were due to seller issues no panning out.

Also, Whitetail Properties and Mossy Oak properties are good sites as well, especially in the size you are looking for. Just have to be on your toes and look every day or so because once new properties post, other people are looking too and will have money on it before you know it, and usually a matter of a few days, not weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
          lands of texas.com site helped me the most, mainly because of the alerts you can set up to notify you daily or weekly. We looked for over a year and found a nice 35 acre plot this spring, had a few disappointments on other plots along the way but all were due to seller issues no panning out.

Also, Whitetail Properties and Mossy Oak properties are good sites as well, especially in the size you are looking for. Just have to be on your toes and look every day or so because once new properties post, other people are looking too and will have money on it before you know it, and usually a matter of a few days, not weeks.
          The overwhelming majority of land does not sell in a few days. That's silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingallday View Post
            Utilities can't be stressed enough. Electric company wanted 15-20k to bring lines half a mile down road at one place I looked at. At another, there was a water line at front of property, but it didn't have capacity so they wouldn't allow any more connections
            this too!
            And drilling water wells isn't cheap, that threw a kink into my plans. Sometimes getting easements for utilities is difficult as well, if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
              The overwhelming majority of land does not sell in a few days. That's silly.
              I'm pretty sure I know, sir, at least in my area because I've done a LOT of homework before we purchased, been outbid on a number of plots we wanted ... within a matter of days from posting. Silly or not, its a fact now days. I used to think like you do but found out the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                I'm pretty sure I know, sir, at least in my area because I've done a LOT of homework before we purchased, been outbid on a number of plots we wanted ... within a matter of days from posting. Silly or not, its a fact now days. I used to think like you do but found out the hard way.
                It's absolutely not a fact. For every listing that sells in less than a week, there are probably 200 that don't.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                  It's absolutely not a fact. For every listing that sells in less than a week, there are probably 200 that don't.
                  Yall are talking apples and oranges, the good properties that are reasonably priced will sell quick, the properties that aren't as appealing and over priced stay on the market for months and years.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                    Yall are talking apples and oranges, the good properties that are reasonably priced will sell quick, the properties that aren't as appealing and over priced stay on the market for months and years.
                    Sure, but even well priced properties don't typically go in less than a week. If you're talking about a large acre lot near a city where large acre lots don't really exist much, maybe.

He's talking about hunting properties 150-300 acres in a broad range (within 2.5 hours of DFW). I'd bet the average property he'll look at has been on the market for several months if not more. And that doesn't mean it's overpriced or not a good piece of land. It just takes awhile for the right buyer to come along for many tracts.

Comment

Simply put, know what you want and don't delay once you find it.

Comment

Obviously. Just saying you can't screw around and hope no one else sees the one you want before you make an offer, other people are going to jump on it too. Quickly!

Comment

Some great advice on this thread. I looked for several years before buying. One recommendation is research the neighborhood. Check out how many service calls the Sheriff's office made to the surrounding properties. It's no fun having to deal with a sh**head for a neighbor.

Are the surrounding properties small, fragmented or larger in size? The more fragmented the area, the more deer are killed and pressured. I bought my place at the end of a dead end road. My neighbor to the north and east had 1100 acres, neighbors to the west had 800 and 600. My neighbor to the south was a lake.

I ended up having access to pig, duck and varmint hunt on close to 3000 acres by getting to know my neighbors and lending a hand to work cattle, cut and bale hay etc. I offered because I enjoyed the work, but I wanted my 3 sons to appreciate the value of ag work and understand how important it is to build relationships.

I sold my place in May, but still hunt for free on 2 of my neighbor spots. If you're an absentee owner, there is not better security than nosy neighbors. Good luck with the search, it can be a grind at times. but the end result is well worth it.

Comment

This is what I was thinking. I know a guy that bought one with seeing it in person. Photos and google earth convinced him. He knew the area well.

Another guy was right behind him and offered more, but he already had a signed contract.

BP

Comment

Gonna be fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X