6.5 CM Ammo Comparisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coop2564 View Post
    I shot a Pronghorn couple weeks ago with the 143 eld-x and it came apart and did not exit, only part I found was bottom copper cup in opposite hyde. shot was 177yds, I'm shooting HL's RL26 @2848fps. He was DRT but a little disappointed in bullet.

I am huge barnes fan will try to work on a load for the 6.5 this winter test it on some pigs . I had had zero luck with the SST bullet in general . bows apart no exit massive damage though .

Comment

I shot two deer last year with the 143g ELD precision hunter. Both bullets came apart and exited in several small pieces. Both DRT, but I am likely moving back to .270/GameKings this year.

Comment

I use the American Whitetail 129gr for hunting.
        Rolled an Aoudad at 240yds I found it to be a great bullet

Comment

In my Grendel, I was by far more satisfied with the killing results of the AMAX vs the SST.

Comment

Between me and a buddy we have taken down 2 mulies and a whitetail using the 140 gr ELD-M the furthest we had one run was maybe 20yards before it dropped. 1 mulie was in the upper half of the shoulder 200yd shot dropped in his tracks. The other mulie was 275yd shot right behind the shoulder ran 20yds dropped dead. The whitetail was 400yd shot first shot was pretty far back second was tucked into the shoulder and he dropped where he stood.

Comment

I shot a coyote the 120gr AMAX at about 110yds, it was nasty for the 'yote, Blew a big hole. Shot a 150# pig at about 50yds with the 129sst. He was facing me. missed him between the eyes and hit his right shoulder. He went about 10yds in thick stuff. From front shoulder to other end was mush.

if I was still shooting a 6.5, id shoot the 129gr sst.

Comment

Originally posted by m10 View Post
                I use the American Whitetail 129gr for hunting.
                Rolled an Aoudad at 240yds I found it to be a great bullet
                never tried it in the 6.5, but loved it in the 308 and 7-08 I had. Wouldn't hesitate to try in in a 6.5

Comment

I love 129 sst out of my cm but trying the eldx out.

Heres a sit i did with amax loadings. Filmed on a potato
                  Head neck and behind the shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 000 Buck View Post
                    In my Grendel, I was by far more satisfied with the killing results of the AMAX vs the SST.
                    I didn't like the SST in my Grendel either.

Comment

Good thread. I just picked up a 6.5CM and have been wondering the same thing about the match grade stuff.

Any of you guys hunting with the Hornady Black ammo? I picked up a box of the 140g w/BTHP bullets

Comment

I’m confused. For some reason I thought match grade was only for targets and prairie dogs. Are you telling me match grade ammo is meant to be used and ethical to be used on deer?

Comment

I killed a nice pronghorn at 337 yards with an RPR and the 143 gr. ELD-X. DRT.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                            I’m confused. For some reason I thought match grade was only for targets and prairie dogs. Are you telling me match grade ammo is meant to be used and ethical to be used on deer?
                            It isn't meant to be used on deer, but long range hunters have been using it on animals for years. It will kill them.

Whether it is ethical is kind of a personal question. It is way more lethal than a bow and arrow, and this is a bowhunting site . . .

Comment

I like these best
                              Nosler, the world's finest bullets, ammunition, rifles, & brass. We manufacture Partition, AccuBond, E-Tip, Ballistic Tip, Custom Competition and much more.

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                                Match ammo kills humanly and quickly with massive damage with the right shot placement.

The 6.5 ammo I talked about above is marketed as 'Precision Hunter' it is a 143 grain ELD-X bullet. Both deer shot with with it were DRT, but both bullets exploded and exited in small pieces. Honestly, I have seen better performance from a Sierra Match King.

The topic is discussed in GunDigest here:

\

Comment

Working...
                                X