No announcement yet.

2018 saltwater fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slick flat water made for some fun sight casting in Nueces yesterday. They were slamming the top water baits like they were mad at them. Limited in about an hour and a half but couldn't stop fishing. Fun
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FISHINGNUECES1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	24555491

Name:	FISHINGNUECES3.JPG.jpg
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	24555492

Name:	FISHINGNUECES4.JPG.jpg
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	24555493

Name:	FISHINGNUECES2.jpg
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	24555494

Comment

I know just where thats at. If you wade that grass line right on the bank you can dang near walk right up on them. Red fish in Nueces are unlike any red fish. They don't spook near as easy. Been in there this time of year and had a hard time catching slots. Most were over sized.

Comment

8 Days off the Mexican Baja fishing aboard the Polaris Supreme with Captain Timmy/Dolphin Express Port Aransas and Mike Halco, a close offshore compadre through the years.

Boat was rigged limited load with 21 people aboard along with 6 crew

All crewmen are 100 ton licensed

Chef and assistant cook - 3 quality cooked meals plus horderves

Unbelievable electronics - fish are spotted moving into baits

I had a 2 man stateroom to myself which was the first room, leading to the aft deck. Room turned into a tackle box for the three of us which worked out perfectly. Just made sure hooks and tackle were cleared before laying my head down

Bagged 386 lbs of filets

Drove from Boerne hauling our gear, they flew and returned with coolers full of fillets.

Wahoo, Yellowtail, Dorado, Yellowfin Tuna & finally - California Sheepshead!

I've wanted a California Sheepshead for years and this trip - my first fish went 16 lbs.

Casting arties at night riding the hook, had a solid 6ft Striped Marlin make a buzz on my jig - pulled it away from this fish so I wouldn't get spooled on the lighter class 2-speed I was using for yellowfin and yellowtail. Hooked a few sharks casting lures, dealt with a massive sea lion bull stealing fish along with the sharks. Lost about 7 or so lures through the 8 days. Pulled the hook on a bunch of fish running a strong and hard setup dealing with the predators.

Fished Alijos Rocks and the Ridge along the Mexican Baja roughly 550 miles south of San Diego.

Fished about 130 miles from Hurricane Rosa - which shot out south below us then swung up and headed North, passing us to the west before slamming into the Baja above us about 100 miles to the North. This was the first Tropical system since 1997 to hit the Mexican Baja. Fishing was off the chain and we nailed wahoo on the troll and cast for a solid two days.

Fished 10 - 18ft seas with about 15 second swell duration. Hurricane swells were wide and clean and the Polaris Supreme with her fuel load matched with live bait tanks - rode these seas with no sweat. Swells worked up directly from the South with a slight swing to the SW.

Last edited by AtTheWall; 10-06-2018, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Very awesome Rob

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Comment

Brother and my dad after a few rain showers!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Those are some solid trout amigo. Baffin?

Comment

We had a blast this weekend! Not many came home with us but we both caught our first redfish and trout! He went wild in the Salt Swag store in Bay City and got all lined out! Says we gotta go back again! I have no interest chasing anything in freshwater but crappie but saltwater sure was fun!!

Btlowrys wife likes shirts from different places but we didn't figure she would laugh at this one as much as we did so we left it there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HELLRAZOR View Post
                  Brother and my dad after a few rain showers!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  That's what I I'm talking about!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

My boy landed this 35" snook while fishing fishpass jetties

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks GPena! It's one of those - must do it sometime trips. The Mexican Baja from sea, is the same as time beginning. The sealife witnessed mixed with the species diversity and offshore shallow reefs and ridges, made this trip extremely exciting and interesting. The meals aboard the boat are top shelf and the commonality of all, tied to offshore fishing, makes fishing with strangers a quick bond into fishing friends.

It's a form of Combat Fishing in a way. The local Long Range California regulars, have a specific style and application to their fishery. We showed up and leaned on what we do in the Gulf, and basically schooled them on fish count, consistency and species diversity after all was said and done at trip close. Some of these dudes have fished these long range trips well over 30 years. It became an US vs THEM and in the end, word was out - Texas Boys schooled the California locals. We went at it low key, let them run baits out first, covering each stop like a tribe. They would go live bait - freelined and or light weighted and we went deep and or sub surface with arties - covering parts of the boat at longer casts away from the hull, to maximize water covered.

What I found was, the methods used in the Gulf for Yellowfin Tuna at night, using the boat's lights and darkness edge, works identically in the Baja. Making casts over 30 yards casting 4 - 5 ounce swimming metal and Halcos, scored the bigger tuna consistently. Having 200ft of water on the ridges we anchored up on, gave us an edge on hookups to decked fish. Each tuna hooked dove down, hit the bottom and then swam out away from the boat following that bottom. This gave us an advantage with line leverage fighting these fish. In the Gulf, fishing over 3000 to 9000ft of water, the tuna has the edge going straight down and staying down hundreds of feet.

The Wahoo bite was unreal and many where hooked casting arties after the first hookup on trolled baits. Team Texas ran 3 guys covering 4 rods and our last round at trolled wahoo hookups. We had all 4 rods hit at the same time as well as a 5th rod casted nailed, by one of the Cali guys making a cast making it a 5 wahoo circus astern. The largest wahoo of the trip went mid 60lbs. The majority were 30 to 60 - excellent class of Hoo!

Just south of Cedros Island Mexico we spotted 3 sailfish on a leaping feeding spree. I had a striped marlin easily available as a visual cast to hook-up, if I wanted a piece of that - pulled my lure away from his strikes so I wouldn't go there. Sharks circling the boat of many varieties and willing to hit casted lures as well. I lost a couple of my solid scoring lures to sharks that hit my lures, working baits just out of eyesight below. Get a smashing hookup - line dumping off the reel only to find that hard charging fish was a 7 - 10 ft shark.

Combat Fishing - it's the only way I can define it.

15 Yellowfin Tuna is each anglers maximum quota. I filled my tuna quota up in the 3rd day. Covered my total 30 fish quota into the 5th day and started filling fish quotas, with the anglers who wanted my fish to cover their 30 fish limit.

Yellowtail are cousins of our Amberjack. They look more like a Rainbow Runner mixed with an AJ. Fight pound for pound as hard as an AJ and the Yellowtail meat, is white and sushi grade. A better eating class of jack and extremely aggressive. Many of the kelp pads had Dorado and Yellowtail which puts the Yellowtail in a free swimming class of Jack - in comparison to the AJ/Reef Donkey of the Gulf.

I'll go again and mix it up with a few of us who want to experience one of these trips.
                      Last edited by AtTheWall; 10-07-2018, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Well, our Chandeleur trip was cancelled AGAIN!!! only two storms to get in the Eastern Gulf got us both times this year... Guess the Lord didn't want me fishin' out there this year... Sure have enjoyed following along on this thread this year though... Y'all been catchin' some good fish... Time to hang up that rod n reel and get after the deer n hogs...

Comment

Originally posted by Eric C View Post

Oh my!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            Well, our Chandeleur trip was cancelled AGAIN!!! only two storms to get in the Eastern Gulf got us both times this year... Guess the Lord didn't want me fishin' out there this year... Sure have enjoyed following along on this thread this year though... Y'all been catchin' some good fish... Time to hang up that rod n reel and get after the deer n hogs...
                            Sorry to hear that... dang it man!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              Hate to hear that. Not sure on our trip, we're supposed to be in Venice 12,13,14,15. If you need a spot filled on the next one let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric C View Post

That's awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X