Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Taking Up a New Hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My friend that's experienced in hand loading finally made the trip to Round Rock and helped me get setup and run a few 25-06 and .260 Rem rounds. We were having problems with the Jewell trigger on my daughter-in-law's .260 so didn't get to shoot it but my 40+ year old 25-06 has never had tighter groups. We worked up four different loads and determined what worked best in my rifle. No factory ammo I've ever shot compares with this first batch of hand loads. I'm hooked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gun room done..JPG
Views:	1
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	24535942

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
      Your area looks way better than mine!

Me too. I never got mine organized after moving...3 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Beleg View Post
        My friend that's experienced in hand loading finally made the trip to Round Rock and helped me get setup and run a few 25-06 and .260 Rem rounds. We were having problems with the Jewell trigger on my daughter-in-law's .260 so didn't get to shoot it but my 40+ year old 25-06 has never had tighter groups. We worked up four different loads and determined what worked best in my rifle. No factory ammo I've ever shot compares with this first batch of hand loads. I'm hooked.

[ATTACH]904487[/ATTACH]

Since you’re indoors, and since you’ve treated yourself to a nice work area, I highly recommend you get this just for your reloading room. We’ve had this same one for several years and it has held up great battery is still just as strong as it was new. It will help keep your room laboratory clean with the spilled powder and spent primers that end up everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
          Since you’re indoors, and since you’ve treated yourself to a nice work area, I highly recommend you get this just for your reloading room. We’ve had this same one for several years and it has held up great battery is still just as strong as it was new. It will help keep your room laboratory clean with the spilled powder and spent primers that end up everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Thanks for the link. 2 of the things I need to get are a vacuum and compressed air. I have a shopvac and compressor in the garage on the other side of the wall. I’m tempted to run a quick disconnect and vacuum hookup through the wall. It would give me more air volume and powerful vacuum but creates other issues with on/off switches and putting holes in my wall. Probably just buy a portable vacuum like you posted and a small compressor. Setting up this gun room is expensive.

Comment

[ATTACH]904487[/ATTACH]
            Welcome to the addiction! I'm loading up some .45 ACP this afternoon for an IDPA shoot tomorrow.

Comment

Spent this past weekend north of Pearsal working up handloads for my daughter-in-laws 260. The ranch had an air-conditioned handloading room with an indoor bench for a 1000 yard range. Worked up a few loads then shot them to find what the rifle likes best. Went through several combinations but got my DIY a couple good loads for her to try. Going to Best of the West in Liberty Hill so she can try them out. It was a really good learning experience and will really help me get my setup going. Sure wish I could handload and shoot it out my window here in Round Rock but I don't think my next door neighbor would like it.

Comment

Nice set-up. Reloading is one of the most expensive and addicting hobbies/habits I have.

Comment

I suggest you get your scale set up at eye level. That is if you are using a beam scale. I don't trust electronics for powder.

I always tell people you wont save a penny if you handload, but you sure can shoot a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                    I suggest you get your scale set up at eye level. That is if you are using a beam scale. I don't trust electronics for powder.

I always tell people you wont save a penny if you handload, but you sure can shoot a lot more.
                    My bench is tall enough that if I sit in a regular chair instead of a tall stool I'm just above eye level with my beam scale. I was using a RCBS beam scale this past weekend and really liked it. Can't find one anywhere. Word is they have been discontinued.

Comment

My bench is tall enough that if I sit in a regular chair instead of a tall stool I'm just above eye level with my beam scale. I was using a RCBS beam scale this past weekend and really liked it. Can't find one anywhere. Word is they have been discontinued.
                      Look on ebay and find a 1010. I also have an electronic, but don't use it for powder. Just use it to see what something weighs.
                      When dropping charges, I use a measure, going a bit short, put it on the 1010, then trickle up to desired weight.

Comment

Watch that ceiling fan and ac while weighing. Sometimes airflow can cause scale to be off. I cant weigh while my ac is on.

Comment

Watch that ceiling fan and ac while weighing. Sometimes airflow can cause scale to be off. I cant weigh while my ac is on.
                          Thanks, hadn’t considered that.

Comment

This is my suggestion as well. I use the RCBS beam scale, throw it a little short, then the trickler to finish it off. I then put it on the electronic scale for confirmation.

Comment

I don't verify with the electronic. Mine is the small hornady, and I don't trust it for powder. Got 2 beams, they are always within 0.1 grain of each other.

When running my Dillon 650, or my square deal B, I pull every tenth load or so and verify the measure is still on, put it back in the brass and keep going. Slows me down, but its better than having to break down 50 or so bullets cause I don't know where it got off. .45 acp may only be 5 grains, don't want to be too far off with that.

Comment

To add, I weigh all loads with stick and flake powder. Spherical or ball powder is easy to nail with a good volume measure. I don't have either of the precision models mentioned above.

Comment

Working...
                                X