Muzzleloader 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muzzleloader 101

I have been looking into getting a muzzleloader and I have no experience with them. I'm looking at a cva inline 50 cal to start with. What are some good pointers and things to know as I get one and start to shoot it? Should I use the pellet powder, bullets, cleaning, ext? Thanks green screen

Cleaning is the biggest pain, whatever you get, make sure it has a removable breech.

Comment

Removeable breech is a must. And do not put off cleabing like you might with other firearms. Younger brother completeley ruined the 50 cal muzzleloader we had by leaving it uncleaned for a couple weeks. reciever and breech face were terribly corroded.

Comment

With the importance of keeping it clean, Black Horn 209 powder is a bit cleaner burning. I prefer it over the other BP substitutes.

Comment

Make sure you get one that uses the 209 shotgun primers.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
            With the importance of keeping it clean, Black Horn 209 powder is a bit cleaner burning. I prefer it over the other BP substitutes.
            Blackhorn 209 powder for sure. You can make 4-5 shots without having to clean the bore. Most other powders you only get 1 or 2. It is loose powder, rather than pellets, but I still prefer it. I think you get a little more velocity from it too for an equal weight of powder.

Also, get the Barnes sabot bullets. Outstanding accuracy and they mushroom perfectly every time. Avoid the Powerbelts.

Comment

Agreed with Hoover. My muzzleloading world got immensely better with a quick release breech plug. Get fluent in cleaning it quickly and spent your time on the range in that 100 yd group work. A good optic can make a huge diff as well, so look for one with good eye relief.

Comment

So use loose powder over the pellets? Doy you clean the barrel with water? Do you have to live the bullet?

Comment

Originally posted by JimGates View Post
                  So use loose powder over the pellets? Doy you clean the barrel with water? Do you have to live the bullet?
                  Loose powder or pellets are a personal choice really. They both have pros and cons.
                  CVA, T/C and others all have solvents/cleaners that work well with powder fouling and also plastic from the sabots if you use them. You can remove the powder and bullet by taking the breech plug out
                  Last edited by sendit; 11-19-2017, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Traditional or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by Redbeard31 View Post
                      Blackhorn 209 powder for sure. You can make 4-5 shots without having to clean the bore. Most other powders you only get 1 or 2. It is loose powder, rather than pellets, but I still prefer it. I think you get a little more velocity from it too for an equal weight of powder.

Also, get the Barnes sabot bullets. Outstanding accuracy and they mushroom perfectly every time. Avoid the Powerbelts.

The 250 grain Barnes TEZ sabots are bad bad medicine! They have knocked down both of my 280-300lb Kansas deer in short work. The first one I had a pass through. The second one from this year, the bullet was just under the skin on the other side. This is what I pulled out

OP, can’t go wrong with the CVA. I shoot the Accura and it shoots lights out. I use BlackHorn 209. I prefer loose powder over pellets because you can fine tune your load, sort of like reloading rifle ammo. With pellets, you get what you get. Also, if you go the BlackHorn route, which I highly suggest, be sure to get the CVA BlackHorn replacement breech plug. It has a larger flash hole which helps a lot with igniting the BlackHorn. I also use 209 Magnum primers.

I never go into the field with a clean bore. I always fire one off, then load and go hunting. With a clean bore, my first shot will be off 2”-3”. Shots 2,3,4 will all be in an inch. Shots 5 and 6 start opening up again, so I always clean after 4 shots.

There are lots of accessories needed in order to get the best performance out of your Muzzleloader. PM me if interested and I can just send you a picture with all my stuff laid out.

Be aware that getting started in muzzleloading is not cheap by the time you buy a gun, optics, and everything you need to load and clean. Luckily it’s a one time hit. After that, the cost is pretty low! Because of this, go big or go home. It will make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                        Traditional or bust!
                        I enjoy my 50 Hawken, 32 CVA and now building a 50 Kentucky (use all black).

I'll bet if you get the bug one of the above could be in your future.

Comment

Great info. Y'all have any pictures of your guns and setups?

Comment

Some bullets use sabots, some don't is that correct? What should i use?

Comment

Subbed for information as I'm looking into buying my first muzzleloader.

Comment

Working...
                              X