Boots and BP for elk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boots and BP for elk?

I'm going to NM elk hunting next month and trying to get some boots and a backpack.. What's the GS recommend?

Danner pronghorns or Kenotech

Comment

You're a bit late on the gathering of such important gear for this kind of hunt, and there's a lot more to say about this than I've time to, (I'm on a muley hunt in Wyoming) but here's a place to start...

Boots - possibly the most important single piece of gear to a hunter. Definitely the single most "personable" choice to make. Everyone's feet are different and you feet can get taxed on a serious mountain hunt. Since you have little time for break in look to Lowa boots. They have served me very well. There's a lot of other great boots out there, and different brands fit different types of feet well. You may do well to start with a particular brand that you have history with the fit and function of.

Pack - If I were you I would start by deciding if you want a built in rifle holster like Eberlestock offers, or not. That will narrow down your choices. I have a ton of packs and many of them wear and carry better than a Eberlestock, but if you want hands free traveling on the mountain a worry free holster like they make is a pretty good choice. There are other rifle carry options with other packs, but with the Eberlestock you can draw the rifle on the go if needed with a minimal amount of practice.

Sorry pal, that's all the time I have, as the mountains here in Wyoming are beckoning me!

Good luck!

Comment

Lowa boots (i like the tibets) and a backpack depends on what your doing. lots of great daypacks out there. if your doing a backpack hunt i'd suggest a kifaru duplex or bikini frame and the bag that suits your needs.

Comment

IMO boots should have at least 50 miles on them,before worn into the backcountry.Dealing with blisters is not fun on the mountain

Comment

I've had really good success with the Canada's by Meindl

As for backpack, I have an Eberlestock. Make sure it has a hydration bag in it

Comment

See my boot review under equipment/tuning section. I had 5 days to get ready for an elk hunt

Comment

Danner pronghorns, you will have happy feet! ��

Comment

I have used lowa Tibets and asolo hikers for my last few elk hunts. They are great. I have hunted in September so cold wasn't much of an issue. I assume you are rifle hunting up in the mountains somewhere. Might get cold. In that case I would look at the insulated lowa boot if you are prone to cold feet. I think they are called hunter extremes. I would go to a local rei if there is one around to try some on. If not, look online or call Lathrop&sons. They are great to work with. Whatever you do, make a decision here pretty quick and start wearing the boots as much as you can. Blisters will ruin a mountain hunt in a hurry!

Comment

Need more info, do you plan on packing an elk out on your shoulders? Do you plan on sleeping on the mountain for days on end?

Comment

Oh man.. go to REI like yesterday and find what you like. They should have Asolo, Kennetrek etc and get to breaking those dudes in now. Nothing will ruin a hunt faster, your heels will literally turn to hamburger if you don't have good boots going up and down the mountains.

Comment

Trust me when I say this:

TAKE SOME MOLESKIN!

Comment

Kenetrek or the like, think high end.

Packs, horn hunter, kifaru, mystery ranch, exo, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
                            Trust me when I say this:

TAKE SOME MOLESKIN!
                            And some duct tape............

Comment

It all depends on how much you will be packing on your back. Boots and packs both change depending on the weight you're carrying.

Lowas would be my preference for boots. Tibet for if you'll be carrying much weight or very rough terrain and I love my ultralight Ferrox if you don't need the extra support and like to pick up some speed.

Packs 100% depend on what kind of hunt and the amount of work you'll be doing so not knowing about your hunt it's hard to recommend anything. You could get by with a cheap cabelas day pack or need the Kifaru or Stone Galcier type packs for all I know.

Comment

Working...
                              X