Medium Duty Truck Help.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medium Duty Truck Help.....

I'm gonna buy a used one before too long. I just wondered if anyone had experience with the different manufacturers in the 19,500GVWR class.

I want a C5500 Chevy, but they quit making them in '09 and I'm afraid that may drive the price up vs other makers.

International?
    Freightliner?
    I really don't want a Ford, but I should probably keep an open mind, so Ford?

the freightliners we run at work are royol POS's, you could not give me one much less pay real money for it.

Comment

We have a 4900 international dump truck at work that even the inmates have been unable to destroy. I know they have put that same cab and chassis on box vans and flat beds. It's held up a lot more than our c50 top kick Chevy dump trucks

Comment

My buddies at Moritz have this thing.

'08 F550 4x4 50k miles diesel

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350513060.555923.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	24129606

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350513088.182557.jpg
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	24129607

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350513109.002740.jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	24129608

Comment

We have a few 5500 and 4500 dodge's. Haven't had a whole lot of problems with them. We just got a 2012 5500 and did have a problem with the steering pump going out at 250 miles. We're doing away with most all of our 1 tons and going with medium duty trucks.

Comment

Thanks guys, anyone else?

Comment

Dale, those C5500 and C6500's are some fine trucks, I think I have about 8 of them, wish they would start making them again. We have a few of the Internationals, they are good trucks, good luck finding a good used one, I found most of mine from Truck Leasing companies, some of them were like two years old with less than 10K miles on them, good luck.

Comment

I was gonna email you about this, Roger. I figured you liked them Chevys, having seen your fleet. Thanks.

Comment

I have a 2001 F550 Crew Cab 4x4 with about 90k miles I am getting ready to sell in the near future.

It is the 7.3 with 4" exhaust and an aftermarket programmer loaded in it.

9' flatbed gooseneck with tool compartments on the bottom edges

This thing is in pristine condition.

I am not sure what the price will be but it won't be cheap. These engines with low miles are hard to find anymore.

Not sure if this is something you would be interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by ty729 View Post
                    I have a 2001 F550 Crew Cab 4x4 with about 90k miles I am getting ready to sell in the near future.

It is the 7.3 with 4" exhaust and an aftermarket programmer loaded in it.

9' flatbed gooseneck with tool compartments on the bottom edges

This thing is in pristine condition.

I am not sure what the price will be but it won't be cheap. These engines with low miles are hard to find anymore.

Not sure if this is something you would be interested in.
                    I wouldn't mind havin that ol 01 power stroke at all, but I don't want a crew cab. It just costs too much cargo weight and makes the thing too long for our use. I'm gonna buy this one right, cuz I don't want to do it again anytime soon.

Comment

We run Pete freights and Chevy the Chevy is the best but don't get one of the last ones with the exhaust regenerator if your going to idle much as it will stop up. Don't get a Pete with a cummins as they are a pos we have been thru 2 engines and 3 overhauls in 7 years.the freightliner is good with the cat engine but the cab is uncomfortable and all the glass makes it a hot sob and the ac won't keep up.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                        We run Pete freights and Chevy the Chevy is the best but don't get one of the last ones with the exhaust regenerator if your going to idle much as it will stop up. Don't get a Pete with a cummins as they are a pos we have been thru 2 engines and 3 overhauls in 7 years.the freightliner is good with the cat engine but the cab is uncomfortable and all the glass makes it a hot sob and the ac won't keep up.
                        I'm fairly certain I'm goin Chevrolet if I have to go across the country to get it. We built this company with Chevrolets and Macks.....Id just as soon stick with them.

Comment

Dale what kind of bed do you plan on putting on it, or is it going to be a bucket truck?
                          I'm with mjhaverkamp the c5500 and c6500 are hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            I'm fairly certain I'm goin Chevrolet if I have to go across the country to get it. We built this company with Chevrolets and Macks.....Id just as soon stick with them.
                            Mack's are beasts... Freightliner (freight shaker) is a pos even if you do get a cat motor in them. I have one and it will beat the bricks off your house and wouldn't pull the hat off your head. I would look at the chevy or the Macks for sure. Mack has more fuel and oil filtration than any other diesel on the road. If my guy's can't tear em up then they are bomb proof...

Comment

Originally posted by BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD View Post
                              Dale what kind of bed do you plan on putting on it, or is it going to be a bucket truck?
                              I'm with mjhaverkamp the c5500 and c6500 are hard to beat.
                              It will be a steel flatbed, a short one.

Comment

Working...
                              X