Irresponsible Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psicoo View Post
    If the masses depend on one individual to make a decision of such "seriousness", they're as asinine as your statement.

What is your problem?

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
      If you got the money go for it. If not.......
      Oh I agree. Your own little slice of heaven for 10 years if you got the money.

And I see where your intentions are on the issue but we must tread lightly and be careful not to take a cue from Rahm Emanuel's playbook regarding tragedy.
      Last edited by Man; 08-30-2017, 05:24 PM.

Comment

I can agree that there have definitely been areas that never should have been developed. I'm not sure where or who should draw the line. Drainage definitely needs improvement. But so do many other things with all this aging infrastructure. It's a freaking mess.

Also it's not just limited to Houston Metro.

Comment

If the masses depend on one individual to make a decision of such "seriousness", they're as asinine as your statement.

****Nevermind. Youre not worth it.

Have a nice day Richard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
            Oh I agree. Your own little slice of heaven for 10 years if you got the money.

And I see where your intentions are on the issue but we must tread lightly and be careful not to take a cue from Rahm Emanuel's playbook regarding tragedy.

Im not looking to fatten the cats. Just the opposite. The county govt leaders have been signing off on negligent development plans for kickbacks for too long.

Comment

Comment

That's about what I figured. You have the audacity to toss out an uninformed statement but don't have the intelligence to back it up. Way to go, Slick. Better luck next time.

Comment

In my not so expert opinion, I think Houston needs to pony up the money to build the infrastructure to deal with such flooding. We're above sea level, so with the proper infrastructure, we should be able to greatly reduce the damage caused by hurricanes and massive rainfall.

I'd guess it would cost a few billion to do it, but I'd imagine that cost will pale in comparison to the infrastructure, home, and economic damage we just experienced with Harvey.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                    Dang J Sweet. Maybe we should wait until things cool down a bit before we make broad govt mandates. Times of high emotion are generally not the best time to make rational decisions. Think gun control discussions after mass shootings.
                    I honestly thought your first post was in jest to get discussion going about government overreach.
                    I understand your frustration but think the government should stay out of the business of neighborhood developing.
                    But the government won't stay out of it. You know they will be building these "poor" people new homes right back in flood areas.

Comment

I agree

Comment

Im not looking to fatten the cats. Just the opposite. The county govt leaders have been signing off on negligent development plans for kickbacks for too long.

What is the time distance between these floods? ..if you feel this strongly can you not pull a large group together and fight this legally instead of a moratorium? Not disagreeing ...just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                          What is the time distance between these floods? ..if you feel this strongly can you not pull a large group together and fight this legally instead of a moratorium? Not disagreeing ...just asking.
                          I believe 2016 Houston had two major floods that were named Tax Day Flood & Memorial Day Flood. Houston has sold out to developers years ago, like Meyerland which was rice fields in the 50's.

Comment

Houston = $. $ likes to replicate. $ will continue to spread like wildfire, and so will Houston.

Another way to look at it is that Houston has the largest number of emergency response resources in the nation. Not only that but it has one of the most sophisticated infrastructures as well. Just look at how quickly it prepared prior to the storm and how efficiently resources have been deployed. None of that fixes the drainage problem - and I would love for the sprawl to end - but Houston is pretty impressively handling the worst natural disaster in the Republic's history.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
                              That's about what I figured. You have the audacity to toss out an uninformed statement but don't have the intelligence to back it up. Way to go, Slick. Better luck next time.

Wrong person if you trying have a pissing match. I don't participate in much ignorance, so if you didn't get it, maybe you will...out
                              Last edited by psicoo; 08-31-2017, 08:32 AM.

Comment

To me this is about developers sending water from their developments into already populated areas flooding out people. Look at Meyerland, I grew up there. Never flooded. Starting 2 yrs ago it has 3 times.
                                A lot of truth to this. 99 and the development around it are a lot to blame. However all development is government regulated through permits. No doubt developers will push limits but they still have to follow regulations. The counties are a bit different.

The cities priorities have been out of line the past years while we had lots of oil and gas revenues. The cities infrastructure is outdated and has proven to be ineffective. Homes should have never been built behind Addicks dam, on low lots by the Brazos, or the bayous in Houston. It will be interesting to see if they get rebuilt.

But still, Houston got about 50 inches of rain. That's a lot of water.
                                Last edited by batmaninja; 08-31-2017, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X