Irresponsible Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting this here to not distract from the Harvey threads intended for immediate relief.

I think the Governor needs to enact an executive order placing a moratorium on development around the metro area until a proper run off assessment is completed and a plan in place.

I had no idea how many communities in the last decade have been created along river valleys with small levies to protect but cant. We have a drainage problem here in this metro. Its reached critical mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Furthermore, by now they should understand pretty clear where it will flood and to what extent. Mandatory evacuation should be implemented well ahead of time. And if I lived in some of those areas my house would soon be for sale...

Comment

I think you will see a "soft moratorium" via lack of insurable areas in the future. If folks cannot get insurance on their homes and businesses, they will relocate. I have a feeling, many of these neighborhoods will be dozed and rebuilding there will be prohibited. The insurance lobby is a stout one.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
        I agree. Furthermore, by now they should understand pretty clear where it will flood and to what extent. Mandatory evacuation should be implemented well ahead of time. And if I lived in some of those areas my house would soon be for sale...

Turner dropped the ball on that. He says due to Houstons population its not an option. Well what was all the construction to widen 45 to N Waverly after Rita and the plastic barrier for contra flow for?

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
          Turner dropped the ball on that. He says due to Houstons population its not an option. Well what was all the construction to widen 45 to N Waverly after Rita and the plastic barrier for contra flow for?

Exactly! Very valid point! Huge mistake

Comment

Would you have to be told to evacuate if you lived in a possible flood area? SMH

Comment

Originally posted by psicoo View Post
              Would you have to be told to evacuate if you lived in a possible flood area?

No, but when a leader fails to address the seriousness of a situation he puts false hope into the masses.

Me and Im sure most of us on here dont look for the govt to take care of us. Unfortunately many in the urban sprawls do.

Comment

Doze them and turn them into parks.
                This reminds my of the far west end of Galveston. No matter how many times nature wipes it clean people just keep rebuilding on it.

Comment

"This is just a rain event". Bs.

This is an overpopulation overdevelopment problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                    Doze them and turn them into parks.
                    This reminds my of the far west end of Galveston. No matter how many times nature wipes it clean people just keep rebuilding on it.

If you got the money go for it. If not.......

Comment

To me this is about developers sending water from their developments into already populated areas flooding out people. Look at Meyerland, I grew up there. Never flooded. Starting 2 yrs ago it has 3 times.

Comment

Dang J Sweet. Maybe we should wait until things cool down a bit before we make broad govt mandates. Times of high emotion are generally not the best time to make rational decisions. Think gun control discussions after mass shootings.
                        I honestly thought your first post was in jest to get discussion going about government overreach.
                        I understand your frustration but think the government should stay out of the business of neighborhood developing.

Comment

No, but when a leader fails to address the seriousness of a situation he puts false hope into the masses.

If the masses depend on one individual to make a decision of such "seriousness", they're as asinine as your statement.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                            Dang J Sweet. Maybe we should wait until things cool down a bit before we make broad govt mandates. Times of high emotion are generally not the best time to make rational decisions. Think gun control discussions after mass shootings.
                            I honestly thought your first post was in jest to get discussion going about government overreach.
                            I understand your frustration but think the government should stay out of the business of neighborhood developing.

Govt yes I agree. But someone in a leadership role needs to take charge. I do t think much of too many politicians but Abbott is one I hold in high regard.

I dont think the govt should be involved in 99 percent of things it is but I sure would hope they would stop a developer from building up the swamp next to me with 8 ft of dirt and diverting the water into my house. Thats just common sense.

Im just curious as to others opinions. Responsible development should be the goal here.

Comment

I read that only 15% of the county has flood insurance.

Comment

Working...
                              X