The Pittman Robertson act.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pittman Robertson act.

If you know what it does and I am a big fan. Maybe I'm biased because I grew up in New Mexico and just got back from a visit. But Texas missed the boat. We have our so called public lands but.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but it is hard to get lost in Texas. Big game hunting in Texas is tough. Bone mass equals $$.
    As it does to any guide.

That is on the line. Public land. But from a Texas point of view are we biased?
    Last edited by Stoof; 08-19-2017, 10:08 PM.

Probably should have put this in the campfire. But it's political.

-------------------------------
    Violence never settles anything
    -Genghis Kahn

Comment

School trust lands?

-------------------------------
      Violence never settles anything
      -Genghis Kahn

Comment

Texas is certainly deficient in the area of public land. I am not sure how the school trust land was supposed to work but I guess it was to aide school funding in some way?? Apparently, the state sold a lot/most of the land... Some of this is recently being fought over in some of the western states. Some of the Meateater podcast and Randy Newberg podcasts speak on this matter.

Comment

Different dynamic but not a bad one. The west has more public land in 5 or 6 states than the entire eastern seaboard and the Gulf Coast states combined. When President Teddy Roosevelt developed the plan for public spaces 90% of our population was still in the east. Land barons were more prevelant in texas, Oklahoma and kansas during that migration due to the railroad system that got cattle to Kansas city and Chicago. It was all about feeding the rapidly expanding east. Be sure if James Town was located in the west back in the 1600's....... the majority of public lands would be located in the eastern states!
          Based on demographics Texas and other states did exactly what was needed to fill that void.......or should I say market!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I like hunting private land and not worrying about who else may or may not show up in the same area to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              I like hunting private land and not worrying about who else may or may not show up in the same area to hunt.

Ditto. I am also not a huge fan of the Gubmint owning giant swaths of the Country. I would like to hunt some of those areas but not at the cost of Federal rules/Laws that constrict behaviors to the point of being punitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
                Ditto. I am also not a huge fan of the Gubmint owning giant swaths of the Country. I would like to hunt some of those areas but not at the cost of Federal rules/Laws that constrict behaviors to the point of being punitive.
                1. Technically, the feds don't "own" the lands per say, the lands are held in the public trust and managed by various federal agencies. This is a small, but important, legal technicality.

2. What rules/laws on federal land do you see as punitive?

Comment

Originally posted by B Littleton View Post
                  1. Technically, the feds don't "own" the lands per say, the lands are held in the public trust and managed by various federal agencies. This is a small, but important, legal technicality.

2. What rules/laws on federal land do you see as punitive?

1. That is a distinction without a difference.

2. Driving up a boat ramp without a seat belt accrues a $240 fine. That's at least the way it was on Lake Amistad about 10 years ago. My FIL being fined $40 for having too large of a tent (4 person with 2 campers) somewhere in Arkansas.

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
                    1. That is a distinction without a difference.

2. Driving up a boat ramp without a seat belt accrues a $240 fine. That's at least the way it was on Lake Amistad about 10 years ago. My FIL being fined $40 for having too large of a tent (4 person with 2 campers) somewhere in Arkansas.
                    So, because of personal experience amounting to $280 in fines a decade ago, you would support legislation that would undermine 100 years of hunter driven conservation in this country? Not to mention the absolutely devastating effect public land transfer/privatization would have on the $646 billion/year outdoor recreation industry?

Comment

Shane, where did you kill your ram? I know that it can be done on private land (especially in TX). But I would venture to guess that 90+% of bighorn sheep hunting is done on public lands.

I'm a states rights guy on most issues...but not public lands. They are almost always sold off when states get control of public lands. I believe that TR and others actually got the public lands model right. Wild lands (what we have left) should stay wild. I want the same opportunity to hunt, fish, camp, recreate public lands for my kids, grandkids, etc... and for every future American.
                      It is one of the things (in my mind) that makes America Great..and unique to other countries.

Comment

I could not agree more LWC. Growing up in NM we would hunt and hike and never see another soul.

Comment

I have never seen another soul on any of my extensive western hunts. Truly unique model that is the envy of other countries. Teddy had a superior vision and I thank him for it. But back to the question : If Teddy was 30 years earlier texas would have that also. But it worked out fine in my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by B Littleton View Post
                            So, because of personal experience amounting to $280 in fines a decade ago, you would support legislation that would undermine 100 years of hunter driven conservation in this country? Not to mention the absolutely devastating effect public land transfer/privatization would have on the $646 billion/year outdoor recreation industry?

You got all that from what I wrote, huh?

Comment

X2 and like being able to manage my private land.

Comment

Working...
                              X