Aim small miss small??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aim small miss small??

I understand that missing a 1" inch spot by an inch is probably better than hitting a 6" spot off to one side, but since Ive started shooting at a 1" inch spot I dont feel as confident. Even though I miss by a couple inches Im still missing what Im aiming at. I can shoot a 4" spot and when I hit I feel better than when I shoot at a 1" spot and miss by an inch.
    Does this make any since at all?
    What do you guys do?

I know what you mean, but I find shooting at a small spot helps my concentration and focus. I don't hit the 1" spot on the target very often (don't see how spot shooters do it!)but it always seems to work out when I shoot at an animal. The key for me is shooting enough to where my form is consistent and comfortable - so when I draw I'm not thinking about grip pressure, anchor point, etc - just focusing on where I want the arrow to go. Kind of like in golf - you have to get to the point where you are not thinking about your swing, just about where you want the ball to go.

Comment

cmc:
      Well brother if you would rather shoot at a 4" plate and it makes you feel better then by all means shoot at the plate!
      But what I would do is draw a little black dot on the plate and then shoot at the dot.
      what ever makes you feel good and keep shooting.

Comment

I tend to group better aiming at a smaller spot. Doesn't mean I hit it, though.

Comment

The guys are right, my recommendation is get a 4 or 6 inch plate or circle... whatever and tell yourself anything inside this is good....a kill shot. Then put a tiny little spot in the center of that to aim at...you won't hit the tiny spot all that often but your groups will be far better, if you are like most people.

When shooting at animals, most of us find that if we don't pick a very tiny aiming point we will make more poor hits. I have a very bad tendency to shoot high when I shoot at the whole animal, instead of one hair.

Everyone is different, the game is played in the 6 inch space between the ears and not that 6 inch circle you are aiming at....bottom line is do what works for you....oh, and have fun.

Comment

Yep Mark about covers it for me.

I generally concentrate on a single spot while my objective is about the size of a saucer. If I get in the 8 ring and not the 10 (so to speak), I step over to the bale and practice form for a bit. Brings me back to center.

Comment

I get one of those tiny flourescent orange target dots and place it on the target

Comment

Yep, Mark covers it.....I like to aim at a small spot and my misses and groups are much tighter.

Comment

mark covers mine to and as funny as this is whenm i tell my self aim small miss small i do miss smal and my groups are very much so better

Comment

Just keep shooting at the small spot a 1 in. miss is almost nothing and you will score good on 3d's and kill what you are shooting at except for maybe something as small as a sparrow

Comment

Thanks guys. My groups are better when shooting at a smaller target, but I still want to hit that smaller target. I think its from shooting a compound and always hitting the smaller target. Just need to shoot the recurve more I guess.

Comment

It CAN be done cmc. I've had days when I could put 4 arrows touching shooting at a quarter sized dot from 20 yards and be ON that dot.

I've seen guys who could do it repetitively. Not me... I'd like to though.

Comment

Well the first thing I do is pray that I will hit the 25"x25" target from 14 yds.
                          After I'm done praying, I always aim at the center rings of the five ring target, absolutely no confidence in shooting at the corner rings, then I draw and shoot, and ifn I hit the target all is well. Ifn the arrow is stuck in CMC's plywood I have behind my target that he is going to be using for his blind, I go in the house and call him and say whoops your gonna need a quart of bondo to fill the extra holes instead of a pint, LOLL!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

royal fox, you rh or lh? That way I will stand to that side and behind you about 1 mile will do.

Comment

"Its hard to hit what you're trying not to miss". I like that quote!

Comment

Working...
                              X