New Orleans Statues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
    That was the case and it should have went to the polls. Now with that being said, if it had went to the polls it would have went down in flames as the city is approaching 62% descendants of slaves! The Mayor did this unilaterally as he has other political aspirations in the future......total political BS!

Not necessarily. What you didn't see on the media was blacks saying on local stations that this was not what they wanted. These statues are part of NO history. They grew up in these parks seeing these statues. They were not an issue until OUTSIDE influences made them one, and this political hack of a mayor jumped on. It as a media attention platform for his future senatorial run.
    As for blacks wanting this, national polls show the majority of them DONT. Google it. Polls even from NPR show that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostacresranch View Post
      Not necessarily. What you didn't see on the media was blacks saying on local stations that this was not what they wanted. These statues are part of NO history. They grew up in these parks seeing these statues. They were not an issue until OUTSIDE influences made them one, and this political hack of a mayor jumped on. It as a media attention platform for his future senatorial run.
      As for blacks wanting this, national polls show the majority of them DONT. Google it. Polls even from NPR show that.
      Being from there we don't give a crap either way. Just a person on a horse thst no one notices......ever! But, if at the polls ......"with a spotlight"......I submit it would geaux down in flames. If it was just local it was a non issue as u noted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have it on good authority that Nola is going to have a new mayor before too long.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
          I have it on good authority that Nola is going to have a new mayor before too long.

You are correct. Using millions to remove statues in the dead of night, while neglecting to fix pumps that he knew were broken in a city that depends on PUMPS TO STAY ABOVE WATER is a big feauxpas as we say over here. Even after millions of federal dollars poured into NO, a decade of nothing. It's a cycle of disaster relief that never stops.

Comment

Originally posted by BoneDigger View Post
            The concept of a monument is to pay tribute to a person, place, or thing. A monument to a Civil War general is in essence hailing them as heros. Many simply don't see it that way. The Civil War was fought for state's rights, but also was fought over slavery. The south wanted to keep the institution of slavery intact. Therefore, the people who fought for the south were in part fighting for slavery.

I don't think this is a matter of erasing history so much as determining which parts of history and what historic figures best represent the general population. NO has a lot of black residents and they certainly aren't that interested in celebrating people that fought to keep their ancestors as slaves. There are of course exceptions, and this is only about generalities.

I grew up in the south and have many ancestors who fought for the Confederacy. Many of my relatives are still butt-hurt over losing it.

The Civil War and the actions/ thoughts that led up to it are an important part of our history and it has been well documented in history books and is still debated today. But, when it comes to monuments, there should be some rights for the locals to decide who should be celebrated and who should not.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
            I agree the community should have a say in it but for a bunch of hoodlums to come in and tear them down because of what they think should be done and what they want is a crime and they should be prosecuted.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hurricane barreling down an ya... but hey, let's spend $$ on removing statues... critical drainage pumps be ****ed.

As Hurricane Harvey takes aim at Texas, New Orleans braces for heavy rain and possible flooding on the Louisiana coast.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                Heck.....his term is up. ...lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X