The Liberal Mind - Be Respectful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
    Lincoln was not about the abolition of slavery. There's plenty more where that came from...
    Oh don't tell this to the left!! Lincoln was the greatest "democrat" ever. He freed the slaves!! What they fail to mention was his next plan was to send the slaves to Africa, but he was killed prior to being able to implement his plan.

Comment

Historical documents about why the civil war was fought

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
        Oh don't tell this to the left!! Lincoln was the greatest "democrat" ever. He freed the slaves!! What they fail to mention was his next plan was to send the slaves to Africa, but he was killed prior to being able to implement his plan.
        They will really be shocked to find out he was a Republican!

Comment

It shall be unlawful for a long-term care facility or facility staff to ... willfully and repeatedly fail to use a resident's preferred name or pronouns after being clearly informed of the preferred name or pronouns," reads SB 219, called "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Long-Term Care Facility Resident's Bill of Rights."

"It imposes fines and jail time on any long-term care employee who refuses to use transgender pronouns. Fines for repeat offenders could be as high as $1,000 and a jail term of up to a year.
          California......liberal mental disorder

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            It shall be unlawful for a long-term care facility or facility staff to ... willfully and repeatedly fail to use a resident's preferred name or pronouns after being clearly informed of the preferred name or pronouns," reads SB 219, called "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Long-Term Care Facility Resident's Bill of Rights."

"It imposes fines and jail time on any long-term care employee who refuses to use transgender pronouns. Fines for repeat offenders could be as high as $1,000 and a jail term of up to a year.
            California......liberal mental disorder

That was my point. They just made it a law. Good job, brother.

Comment

How do people such as surgeons and engineers whom function by fact alone have a brain that also allows them to disregard reason and fact?

Reasoned beliefs and facts like creationism, the existence of a supernatural being, resurrection, afterlife, the sinfulness of homosexuality, God-given superiority of the Caucasian race, supernatural control of climate, etc., etc., etc....

Comment

Originally posted by B Littleton View Post
                Well said, and I would add this...

Strict adherence to any "ism" is likely to result in a breakdown of rational thought and decision making at some point. Even when faced new evidence, its rare to see anyone with an opinion they hold as incontrovertibly true change their mind.

The reality is that there is a lot of grey area between the two poles of the political spectrum, but people don't like grey areas. Political machines, bureaucrats, corporations, media salesmen, etc. like grey areas even less than individuals.

Excellent post. Ideologues on both sides struggle mightily with objectivity. A nuanced point of view won't land you in either camp, and both sides will loathe you for it. The tribalism feeds on itself.

Comment

The Liberal Mind - Be Respectful

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  OK, I was not going to jump in on this but I cant help myself. First a little background. My southern roots go very deep - my mother is from Richmond Va and her people there go back to the 1690's. That side of my family were slave owners from about 1805 until Emancipation. My father's people moved to Texas From North Carolina in 1850 and also owned slaves. There is a long list of my kin that died for the South. This spurred my intense interest in the Civil War from an early age. Well into adulthood I believed the "states rights, not slavery" line I was taught. However as I have become more informed through decades of research I think both are correct depending who you are talking about. The overwhelming majority (almost all) of Confederate soldiers did not own slaves and fought - as one captured rebel said - "because y'all are down here!" Or like most every soldier throughout history, they fought for the men on the left and right of them. It is also hard to believe that your average northerner was willing to give his life to free the slaves. (most of them did not think blacks were equal to whites, but most thought that owning other people was wrong) They were fighting to preserve the Union and once again, for their comrades. So most of the guys doing the actual shooting - on either side - did not give one whit about slavery.

However there is absolutely no doubt that the political cause of the war was slavery. EVERY ONE of the southern state's secession documents made it crystal clear that they were leaving the union to preserve the institution of slavery. Alexander Stevens (vice president of the CSA) made it very clear just after the first shots were fired at Fort Sumpter. From his "Cornerstone" speech:
                  " Our new government is founded upon exactly [this] idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth."

So if you continue to cling to the "states rights" argument, you must admit that the right they were fighting for was the right to own other humans they considered to be inferior.

I agree with your last conclusion, but I'm not sure why you would acknowledge the Confederacy's cultural beliefs in the God-given right to own slaves and the inferiority of the negro and then conclude that most Confederate soldiers weren't concerned with slavery. This seems like an oversimplification to me. Are men not motivated to defend their tribal culture and to achieve a higher economic class and the "benefits" that come with it?

Comment

My diarrhea cleared up when I put Varmint on the ignore list.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                      I think a liberal's mind is more centered around emotion and a conservative's around actual fact. Everyone has sympathy for the needy and downtrodden among us and would like to help but the practical matter is at what cost and how do we accomplish it. Instead of screwing up health care for the 90% of us that didn't need help for the 10% that did, why didn't our benevolent government look at ways to help just the poor and those with PEC?
                      The old saying "give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him to fish and he will eat for a lifetime" comes to mind.

Comment

My diarrhea cleared up when I put Varmint on the ignore list.

That feature is quite handy.

Comment

The new saying is:

"give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him to fish and he will drink all your beer."

Comment

ESPN is one of many bastion's of liberalism and the case of Broadcaster Robert Lee
                            Is proof liberalism is a mental disorder.

Pure stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                              The new saying is:

"give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him to fish and he will drink all your beer."
                              Hahaha!! YUP!

Comment

Working...
                              X